The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 Initial Impressions

pellicule

Just got my X100 half an hour ago. First 1800 seconds impressions.
Looks great.
To me it's pocketable, unlike M8.
Falls in hand similar to yet my favorite pocketable EP1+20mm
The optical VF is fantastic. This is the deal breaker over any m43.
It's quieter yet than my Leica MP. Winner here.
To any rangefinder user it's immediately understood, no manual reading necessary.
Now looking forward to some serious picture taking.

What is the issue with the focus?
Don't have access to Reid's page.

I also started using it without reading the book.

However keep an eye on the exposure.
The maximum shutter is limited to 1000 at f2 getting faster as you close down the aperture.
I use Aperture Priority mode it shows the shutter speed in Red, but happily takes the photo and over exposes.

It took me a while to realise what was happening and then I set the Fn button for the 3 stop ND filter option so I can easily switch it on or off.

good luck

Godfrey

The maximum shutter is limited to 1000 at f2 getting faster as you close down the aperture. ...
Ah: the dynamics of a leaf shutter. I'm actually kind of amazed they get 1/1000 second at f/2! That was unheard of in years past.

Terry

Ah: the dynamics of a leaf shutter. I'm actually kind of amazed they get 1/1000 second at f/2! That was unheard of in years past.
I actually did a small test and picked a scene where it wanted to go over 1/1000 of a second at f2. I had read that the limitation was in Aperture Priority. So in A mode I did the following:

1) shot anyway (with 1/1000 chosen by camera) - over exposed
2) used ND - exposure is fine
3) moved to manual mode and chose f2 and 1/4000 and exposure was OK and shutter did not create a problem in the picture.

nugat

Thanks!
I should RTFM after all.

I also started using it without reading the book.

The maximum shutter is limited to 1000 at f2 getting faster as you close down the aperture.
I use Aperture Priority mode it shows the shutter speed in Red, but happily takes the photo and over exposes.

It took me a while to realise what was happening and then I set the Fn button for the 3 stop ND filter option so I can easily switch it on or off.

good luck

Godfrey

ahem,
Read The Fine Manual ?
-bob
or "Read The Fuji Manual" ... ]'-)

(My new iPad is becoming populated with camera instruction manuals. It's so nice to have them all right at hand for casual reading ... !!!)

nugat

No more chimping

I like the "review in VF" function. While in optical mode it still lets me confirm the picture is generally ok without having to look at the LCD.

jonoslack

ahem,
Read The Fine Manual ? :ROTFL:
-bob
No Go Bob - Fine doesn't have 7 letters, and doesn't end in G!

or "Read The Fuji Manual" ... ]'-)

(My new iPad is becoming populated with camera instruction manuals. It's so nice to have them all right at hand for casual reading ... !!!)
(nor does Fuji come to that Godfrey!).

Isn't it - the pdf bit of ibooks is really good - mine is also populated with camera manuals (not, of course, that I would dream of reading them! - I might have a feminine side, but reading manuals is one step too far :ROTFL:)

ustein

Contributing Editor
Re: No more chimping

I like the "review in VF" function. While in optical mode it still lets me confirm the picture is generally ok without having to look at the LCD.
I hope they would show a histogram and blinking clipped highlights in this preview.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>But you can project live histogram in the OVF while composing and taking the picture.

Don't think the live histogram is good enough to show critical fine clipped highlights. Have never seen a live histogram that shows all the clipping (THe GH2 life histogram is not bad though).

jonoslack

I knew exactly what Bob meant, even if I haven't read the flaming manual!:rolleyes:
Congratulations Dave! :ROTFL:

Did you get one yet? I got 'the call' from Park Cameras yesterday . . . . this is the 4th call I've had, I still managed to resist the temptation, but sometimes it's tough!

retow

Congratulations Dave! :ROTFL:

Did you get one yet? I got 'the call' from Park Cameras yesterday . . . . this is the 4th call I've had, I still managed to resist the temptation, but sometimes it's tough!
The upcoming mother's day might be a reason to give in to temptation and buy it for her:D