The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

oops

Diane B

Joe - I'm sorry to be so transparent - I do sometimes have resistance though. . . . still no MF :)
Ha ha, but not a lot. Have fun and I hope this stays awhile but so glad you are running ahead of the herd for us so we know which way we need to go.

ecsh

Jono
I must admit you have had remarkable resistance to the S2. I thought for sure that was a hit on the radar screen.:ROTFL:
Joe

jonoslack

Ha ha, but not a lot. Have fun and I hope this stays awhile but so glad you are running ahead of the herd for us so we know which way we need to go.
Hi There Diane - I'm not sure that I'll be able to help you which way to go - but I imagine it'll stay for a while at least.

I'll consider a K5 for the price of a filter :D
Yes indeed - nothing wrong with my K5, and as I have the silver one, it'll go nicely with the X100.

Jono
I must admit you have had remarkable resistance to the S2. I thought for sure that was a hit on the radar screen.:ROTFL:
Joe
Hi Joe
I would like an S2 - but I always come back to the fact that I'm happiest taking photos with something small and simple.

. . . . . . and also it is rather expensive!

Diane B

Well, actually only expect your own truthful assessment of whatever camera you try. We all know it is colored by your bias of preferring handholding, small, good IQ and ergonomics. It seems, if you get past the oddities it seems to possess or are righted by a firmware upgrade, this might be a good companion for your Leicas and Pentax. Looking forward to your shooting with it.

dhsimmonds

Fifth time unlucky . . . . Park cameras finally got me
should be here on tuesday:eek:
Well done! I would also have fallen to the Park "charm" attack until they told me that they didn't have the accessories that I need, ie adaptor and hood! The Pro warranty that they offer is available from Fuji anyway so they are not giving much away!!

I will wait for mine to come in a few weeks from Robert White, meanwhile I played with their demo........and although I don't need it, I sure as hell desire it!!:deadhorse: In fact I can hardly wait which is probably why you dealt with Park!!

IMHO the best leica that Leica Camera AG never made!:rolleyes:

jonoslack

Well done! I would also have fallen to the Park "charm" attack until they told me that they didn't have the accessories that I need, ie adaptor and hood! The Pro warranty that they offer is available from Fuji anyway so they are not giving much away!!
Well, I just bought the camera - don't need hoods or cases or wotnot. (Although I would have liked another battery).

I will wait for mine to come in a few weeks from Robert White, meanwhile I played with their demo........and although I don't need it, I sure as hell desire it!!:deadhorse: In fact I can hardly wait which is probably why you dealt with Park!!

IMHO the best leica that Leica Camera AG never made!:rolleyes:
I've played with Robert White's demo too - and that's pretty much what he said.

I don't go for it though - The X100 may be completely fab (hopefully mine arrives today), but for me the whole leica thing is about simplicity, and I don't think the X100 qualifies there at all.

all the best

dhsimmonds

Hi Jono

You are probably right about the leica simplicity of controls but having seen quite a few X1 images, I think that the X100 is a very good match for it and might even best it for IQ. It is however much more versatile and sure the X100 has it's little quirks but then what camera doesn't! I did find it fairly intuitive with no need to peruse the manual (in the shop and outside!).

Of course it is not an M9 or M8.2 come to that but neither does it need an expensive IR filter either! It is the nearest thing to an AF "rangefinder" to date though! It will make an excellent companion to my A900 and the DLux4 will go!! Hooray!::D

dhsimmonds

Well. mine has!:D I have put the bins out (rubbish collection tomorrow!) and watered the new tree and shrubs!:(

Battery should nearly be charged now, so I will be able to try it when I have finished teasing Jono! I have fitted the leather strap and the Fuji leather case, which is not a bad design actually. I have taken a quick look at the manual but having played with a demo model in the shop I knew fairly well where everything is and does. So far, so good then but the proof of the pudding will be in the photographing tomorrow.:) I was warned that this camera takes a bit of getting used to but it soon becomes clear and rewards with superb results, so we shall see!

jonoslack

Hah!
Lee - it turned up at 5.45 at the office - no time for all this battery charging rubbish - ten minutes is what it got, and no time to faff with menus, just drive home and out for an hour before it got dark.

Just for once I really meant the first shot to be a REAL shot, but unfortunately there was nasty camera shake.

Here's the second shot!

look at those corners :)

jonoslack

First Pictures

Hi there
Fortunately my battery came with a bit of juice in it, these are shot with the old firmware, all jpg (with mods in Aperture) - I really didn't make any menu changes, as I was frightened the battery might run out!

No impressions, except that it takes pictures when you press the button, and that they seem to be quite good!

The camera is pretty small, but it's much heavier (and notably larger) than the X1 - here's a snap of it with my K5:

Here are some first samples

Now the battery is charged I'll start fiddling with firmware and the manual

Hope you're having fun Dave!

dhsimmonds

:salute:As always you beat me to it Jono. I waited for a full charge by which time it was dark, but as i need to go to Southampton today to pick up my lenshood/adaptor I will take the X100 to see what I can get then. Meanwhile I fitted the nice leather case and strap and set up the menu's to what I think I would prefer...but doubtless some of those will change!:rolleyes:

The quality of your test images look pretty good straight out of the box! :thumbs:

One thing though, how do I check which firmware is installed? I have had a quick look for this and unable to find it. :(

Sapphie

:salute:As always you beat me to it Jono. I waited for a full charge by which time it was dark, but as i need to go to Southampton today to pick up my lenshood/adaptor I will take the X100 to see what I can get then. Meanwhile I fitted the nice leather case and strap and set up the menu's to what I think I would prefer...but doubtless some of those will change!:rolleyes:

The quality of your test images look pretty good straight out of the box! :thumbs:

One thing though, how do I check which firmware is installed? I have had a quick look for this and unable to find it. :(
Dave

Which dealer did you get your kit from?

Lee

HansAlbert

Re: first pictures

The three b/w photos belong to your genuine art of portraying your landscape as "mythical land". Especially the third one with the two trees as a couple outside the community of the other trees and under a dramatic sky full of chimeras develops magic potency. I am glad to see that inspite of all this toying with the new gear the sense of photography isn't gone astray.

dhsimmonds

Dave

Which dealer did you get your kit from?

Lee
Hi Lee

In the end I traded in my Leica DLux4 plus leather case and a few extras for the X100 plus leather case at London Camera Exchange in Guildford. LCE in Southampton put me on to them as his computer showed they had stock, but they wouldn't transfer it to Southampton, so I had to drive to Gulldford. :rolleyes: I got the hood and adaptor ring from Southampton LCE though!

Fortunately it already had the latest firmware 1.1 .