The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX5 and Samyang 7.5mm

hot

Today arrived my (MFT) Samyang 7.5mm - my 5th Samyang :D
It's for my LUMIXes, but also for NEX5 (and NEX7, hehe). Samyang 8mm (constructed for APS-C) isn't vignetting,
7.5mm (for m4/3) only a littlelittle bit, but you can see (special left/right) parts of lens hood.
Either you cut photo ... oooor you cut lens hood.

Some pictures with NEX5 und Samyang 7.5 - there is no fisheye effect, but a ROUND table! Aperture f=3.5 ... f=22

Distance of nearest ball = 1 cm from lens, distance on lens = 9cm.
Diameters of balls ca 10mm.

Last edited:

hot

It's easier to cut 16:9 picture :D
In bright sun this hood may be useful :p ... 180° ... there always will be sun

I couldn't go out and make sample pictures, because it was rainy/rainy/rainy.

V

Vivek

With a fisheye, almost always all the light rays are used for forming an image.

It is no longer a 180 deg fisheye on the NEX/APS-C. This is what makes it more exciting as wider than 180deg fisheyes (for any system) are very rare and a whole lot more expensive.

Terry

How bad is the vignetting on the Sony? I didn't quite understand from the earlier post when you mentioned 16:9. Can you post a sample at 3:2? Just a picture of a plain or white wall is fine.

Thanks
Terry

hot

Properly speaking - Samyang 7.5mm is not vignetting - it photographs own borders and hood.
This you cannot find with Samyang 8mm, made for APS-C (and of course 14/35/85mm made for full frame)

These quick-done-pictures are made with

NEX5 - Samyang 7.5mm (16:9, 3:2)
NEX5 - Samyang 8mm (16:9, 3:2)
LUMIX G3 - Samyang 7.5mm (16:9, 3:2, 4:3, 1:1)

Distance is ca. 20cm (NEX) or 30cm (G3) away from wood cabinet, light is right side (2 bulbs 60W).
All pictures are out of camera, only resized.

NEX5 - Samyang 7.5mm

NEX5 -Samyang 8mm

LUMIX G3 - Samyang 7.5mm

Terry

Darn,

I thought you were just talking about darkening that was correctable. It is actually not what I would call vignetting it is simply the edge of the lens and the image circle is too small. Let alone really seeing the hood.

I just ordered this lens but may in fact need to cancel the order - (Rokinon version at B&H)

Glad I asked because it now obviously was quite unclear from the original samples.

hot

Hehe, I'm waiting for NEX7 ... gigapixel is fine!
If you cut 24 mpixels, then you get a picture with 20 mpixels .. better than some Canons :D

Terry

Having less pixels is fine but it does change the field of view from 7.5 (11mm ish) to something clearly different. At that point, am I better off with the Sigma 8-16mm lens?

hot

Of course Samyang 7.5 is not made for APS-C/NEX :p
I bought it for LUMIX ... because of 0.09m / size / weight / "Samyang quality"

Terry

I understood that part. I just didn't realize the extent to which it was bad on NEX. A lot of lenses vignette but still cover the full sensor.

It wasn't clear that the image circle was reduced for m4/3 rather than a simple redesign to account for no mirror box and to work on different mirrorless systems.

I may just send it back.

V

Vivek

Just to add to that..

The (diagonal) angle covered (assuming the hood is hacked off and it covers the whole APS-C fully) would be >180deg. FL in mm has no weight while dealing with fisheye lenses.

What this implies is that it is even more special purpose lens than a 180deg fisheye.

Unless one has a purpose or use for such things, it isn't worth the bother.

skinnypix

So it seem that if you want to go the low-cost Samyang route for a fisheye on the NEX, you have two options:

1) 7.5mm 4/3 mount lens; You'll need to modifiy the hood to remove parts of the hood that block the view to the edge of the sensor, & use a 4/3 to NEX adaptor. This solution is VERY compact!

2) 8mm version designed for SLR APS-C sensors (Nikon, Pentax, etc version); You'll need to use the appropriate adaptor to NEX. No hood blockage issues. This solution is much larger than the 7.5mm option.

Has anyone compared the image quailty between the two on a NEX??

Thanks, Alan

Terry

1) 7.5mm 4/3 mount lens; You'll need to modifiy the hood to remove parts of the hood that block the view to the edge of the sensor, & use a 4/3 to NEX adaptor. This solution is VERY compact!

Here is where we disagree. You don't need to remove the hood at all. If you look at the pictures the corner problem (image circle too small) actually extends further into the frame than the hood. There is a lot to chop off on the edges.

I ordered the 7.5mm lens yesterday but spoke to B&H today and it is being returned right back to them.

skinnypix

Ah, Terry, I see what you mean. I guess I mis-read the the descriptions. If you clip the hood, you eliminate the blockage on top & bottom, & some of the blockage on the sides, but you still run into the image-circle on the sides since the lens was designed for 4/3 sensors.

It would still be interesting to know the lens image quality differences.

It would seem like Samyang might get some good business by designing a native-NEX fisheye.

hot

Terry, of course lens edges stay ... hmmm, cutting lens? :D

You get similar pictures like with Peleng 8mm

You can easy remove front ring and unscrew hood.
Diagonal angle for m4/3 is 180° - for NEX5 (APS-C) it is more than 180°

Last edited: