The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Posh Person's Beer Can

jonoslack

I am now the proud possessor of one of these items.
you may recall the tale of the splendid 1.4 extender . . . which didn't actually fit any of my lenses, despite the RGLewis webpage.

Well, Richard Caplan kindly exchanged it . . . and as I already had the A mount adapter coming from Leitax to fit one of the pre-rom lenses I thought 'what the hell' and got the Leica 70-210 f4 one touch zoom. As I understand it this is a version of the famous Minolta beer can - with better build quality and coating. Same size - an extra 100gms or so (750 grams).

Mine arrived today - absolutely mint - complete with original box and manuals, smooth as butter and actually a thing of beauty and wonder. They stopped making them in the mid 90's, and I don't actually know how old mine is, but there is a price sticker on it £1648 - which must have been a substantial whack way back when. It cost me £449 - and there seem to be plenty about.

I'm sure it's not as good as the 80-200 .. . but then, it's not much more than half the weight, and a great deal smaller (and cheaper)

It's a long time since I used a one touch zoom - my muscle memory is . . . erm . . . forgotten - but it feels rather good. I wonder why nobody does them nowadays?

The Leitax mount hasn't arrived yet, but it works well on the NEX7 - preliminary IQ tests suggests that it is wonderfully sharp - even at 210mm wide open. . . . I'll report back later!

all the best

V

Vivek

I could have given mine to you had I known you were looking for one..hope you have fun with it.

jonoslack

I could have given mine to you had I known you were looking for one..hope you have fun with it.
Hi Vivek
there seem to be a lot of them about - you have the Leica one as well?
I didn't have you as a zoom kind of a guy!

emr

What's a one touch zoom? One of those where you use one big ring for both zooming and focusing? I have one such Komine-made Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8-4 and boy, is it HEAVY. I have a hard time imagining how to use it on a MILC since one would have to hold the lens from the moving ring. Well, then again, it might work just fine.

EDIT: checked the specs and mine weighs 860g!

Knorp

I'll be interested to hear how you get along with replacing the mount.
Did my 100/2.8 for the K5, but found the quality so-so. Lens works perfectly, though.

Oh and Erwin says it's at its best at 150 ... :)
In general performance is best at the longer end.

Kind regards.

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek
there seem to be a lot of them about - you have the Leica one as well?
I didn't have you as a zoom kind of a guy!
Well, I searched some of the usual places to get a visual and I can't at the moment.:eek: That will have to wait for a little longer.

Jono, Yes, a Leica zoom in R mount. I am not sure about the version though. That is why I need a visual. It has been a while since I used it.

jonoslack

I'll be interested to hear how you get along with replacing the mount.
Did my 100/2.8 for the K5, but found the quality so-so. Lens works perfectly, though.

Oh and Erwin says it's at its best at 150 ... :)
In general performance is best at the longer end.

Kind regards.
Hi Bart
I read Erwin on this one . . . as it's not one of the grand lenses he doesn't go into it quite so far!
Modern mid range zooms are usually worse at the long end - especially at the edges.

Did you use a Leitax mount? I'll be interested as well, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Well, I searched some of the usual places to get a visual and I can't at the moment.:eek: That will have to wait for a little longer.

Jono, Yes, a Leica zoom in R mount. I am not sure about the version though. That is why I need a visual. It has been a while since I used it.
I think there's only one version - get's quite a good write up, and this certainly seems to tick all the boxes. We'll see - if I don't like it it's not going to be too difficult to get my money back.

yatlee

Jono, love to hear how your feel about this lens. My friend dropped off his 180mm summicron yesterday for me to try. Will post result.

jonoslack

Jono, love to hear how your feel about this lens. My friend dropped off his 180mm summicron yesterday for me to try. Will post result.
Well, it won't be like your friend's 180mm summicron! I have the APO elmarit, and that's a thing of beauty and wonder . . .

The Leitax mount hasn't arrived yet, but I've had lots of fun with it on the NEX7, and the image quality is looking fine; it's a pity it doesn't focus a bit closer, but a 70-210 f4 isn't otherwise available for Sony, a 105 - 315 f4 is an interesting and useful range - and it's neither particularly bit nor heavy. With the sensor stabilisation on the A77 it should be a winner.

all the best