The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I need a lens....

HansenTsang

.....for my NEX 5N. I just destroyed my second Sony 16mm f2.8 today. I fly them on my radio control helicopter to take aerial photos. Unfortunately the 16mm f2.8 pancake is now on back order. I also want to find something a bit better in image quality.

I have the SamYang 14 mm f2.8 but it is so heavy it triple the weight of the 5N combination. I have all sorts of adapters but all the ultra wide angle rectilinear lens are very heavy.

So does any know of a very light ultra wide angle lens for the APS-C size sensor? Plastic housing is better and I can suffer with f4 if necessary.

I tried the Panasonic 14 mm f2.8 pancake with a adapter and it has a lot of vignetting.

I will even settle for a zoom if it is light but the lightest seems to be the Canon 10-22mm and it is nowhere near as light as the Sony 16mm pancake.

I have looked at the Voigtlander 12.5mm for a Leica M mount but it is f5.6 and heavy. The Canon 14mm L is nice but again it is heavy and very expensive to crash also.

I really appreciate any suggestion.

Jonas

I don't think there is any. In what way is the Sony 16mm too bad? Perhaps try it again but add the UWA adapter?

V

Vivek

I am curious as to how you destroyed the 16/2.8 and the camera is (presumably) alive. Any lenshood used?

I also do not think there is anything lighter than the lousy 16/2.8.

HansenTsang

I don't think there is any. In what way is the Sony 16mm too bad? Perhaps try it again but add the UWA adapter?
The Sony 16mm is a little soft for my taste. It does the job but if there is anything else out there I would like to try. The Sam Yang 14mm is a lot sharper but at the expense of tripling the weight.

HansenTsang

I am curious as to how you destroyed the 16/2.8 and the camera is (presumably) alive. Any lenshood used?

I also do not think there is anything lighter than the lousy 16/2.8.
No camera is not alive. I have destroyed three Sony's already. Concrete, asphalt and very sharp lava rocks. When I crash into trees and soft grass the camera usually survives. No I was not using a lens hood. However dropping a camera from 100 feet in the is not very typical.

Jonas

The Sony 16mm is a little soft for my taste. It does the job but if there is anything else out there I would like to try. The Sam Yang 14mm is a lot sharper but at the expense of tripling the weight.
The Samyang is not an option in this situation and, as said, I don't think there is anything.
My Sony 16/2.8 is sharp enough except from the very corners. That's why I mentioned the UWA add-on thing as it is lightweight and doesn't destroy the image quality. The corners remains the same lower quality of course but my thought was that you may crop them away and still catch a lot of the ground and whatever interesting things your chopter sees.

HansenTsang

>>My Sony 16/2.8 is sharp enough except from the very corners.<<

Yes it is adequate so far except that they are now on back order. I may have to buy another one from eBay.

>>That's why I mentioned the UWA add-on thing as it is lightweight and doesn't destroy the image quality.<<

So what lens are you suggesting that I should put the UWA add-on. I used to do that to a Panasonic SD-9 video camera and that worked ok for a while.

>>The corners remains the same lower quality of course but my thought was that you may crop them away and still catch a lot of the ground and whatever interesting things your chopter sees.<<

I do a bit of cropping right now because I like to level the horizon.

HansenTsang

>>what aperture do you shoot at?<<

I just set to shutter priority. Most of the time I am shooting at f5.6. However there are times when the light is low enough that I am shooting wide open.

>>some wide and small options:
cv 15mm
cv 21mm<<

I was looking at those. I think they are still fairly heavy.

>>rokinon 8mm<<

That is probably a great alternative but it is a fisheye. I wonder if I can correct that in Photoshop and get a straight horizon.

Hosermage

Would love to see some of your work, sounds very interesting!

I do have a used NEX-5 and the 16mm for sale here in the forum, PM me if you're interested.

Jonas

(...)
So what lens are you suggesting that I should put the UWA add-on. I used to do that to a Panasonic SD-9 video camera and that worked ok for a while.

>>The corners remains the same lower quality of course but my thought was that you may crop them away and still catch a lot of the ground and whatever interesting things your chopter sees.<<

I do a bit of cropping right now because I like to level the horizon.
I was thinking of using the Sony 16/2.8 with the Sony UWA addon called VCL-ECU1 which turns the 16mm into a 12mm while adding 125 grams to the weight. Maybe too heavy?

HansenTsang

I was thinking of using the Sony 16/2.8 with the Sony UWA addon called VCL-ECU1 which turns the 16mm into a 12mm while adding 125 grams to the weight. Maybe too heavy?
IMHO the 16mm pancake is soft as it is, I don't need to reduce the image quality anymore by using a wide angle add-on. Besides the 16mm is wide enough for me. I just want to see if there is something with better image quality.

Hosermage

Cool! How do you control the shutter? Use one of those time-lapse remote? I can see how a fall from this height could break things :D

alphaman

.....for my NEX 5N. I just destroyed my second Sony 16mm f2.8 today. ... Unfortunately the 16mm f2.8 pancake is now on back order. I also want to find something a bit better in image quality... I really appreciate any suggestion.
The only option is to get one second hand if you need to get one more quickly than waiting for a new one.

While the Sony 16mm isn't the very best quality, there aren't (yet) any suitable alternatives - particularly for applications like yours.

HansenTsang

Cool! How do you control the shutter? Use one of those time-lapse remote? I can see how a fall from this height could break things :D
I can control the shutter a few different ways. I can use an infrared trigger and hook it up to my receiver. I can then flip a switch on my transmitter to take a picture.

I can also hook up a servo on top of the camera to push on the shutter button. That way I can shoot a multi image burst with one flip of the switch.

The method I use most is to use an intervalometer that fires the shutter automatically once every so many seconds. I typically set it to once every three seconds. That way all I have to do is focus on flying and aiming.

A fall from that height onto thick grass is not bad. Unfortunately the most recent fall was onto a bed of very hard, sharp and jagged lava rocks. That pretty much destroyed everything.

HansenTsang

>>The only option is to get one second hand if you need to get one more quickly than waiting for a new one.<<

Yeah you are right. I can get a used one fairly quickly from here or on eBay. I have seen some new ones on eBay but they have to come in from Asia. That can take a while sometimes.

>>While the Sony 16mm isn't the very best quality, there aren't (yet) any suitable alternatives - particularly for applications like yours.<<

Exactly, I have been living with it and will continue to live with the quality.

I wonder if photoshop can correct the lens distortion on a Sam Yang 8mm fisheye. The Sam Yang 14mm is pretty heavy and big but the 8 mm fisheye is not as bad.

I am sure in time some new lenses will come out. I will keep my eyes open.

HansenTsang

Hello all,

Is the Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 Leica M mount any good to use in the Sony NEX? I thought I remember reading something about M lenses not too good on the digitals. I cannot remember what that was about.

Thanks in advance.

Rich M

Hello all,

Is the Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 Leica M mount any good to use in the Sony NEX? I thought I remember reading something about M lenses not too good on the digitals. I cannot remember what that was about.

Thanks in advance.
It's good.....pretty darn good......slight purple corners. M-mount can carry filters, LTM (usually a bit cheaper) can't.

Sorry about your 16mm.....gives new meaning to the term "pancake". :ROTFL:

R

uhoh7

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.
this lens is outstanding on the 5n though it can shift colors a bit. It's the best value, found for as little as 300USD.

the ZM 18 is another step up. A bit bigger though.

I call it "philber's lens" just because he showed us all how incredible it is on the 5n :)