The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

Michiel Schierbeek

"Coming Home"

This was our home for two weeks

Keith

I was wondering about your cruiseship and waiting for this one. Ships can be great subjects. Beautifull shot!

A book is a great idea.
I'll will think about it and send you a mail.
In the meantime this thread can evaluate further. :)
Michiel

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
An old snap. Mostly fuzz, please excuse the tiny sharp subject.:eek:

Vivek - this one passes the 75/25 rule - looks like 99/1. Talented panning and a very good auto focus?? :deadhorse:
Or did you manage to get a radio transmittor on that fly?? :sleep006:
Or did you set the camera up on a tripod and shoot off a thousand image??
Or did you . . . . . . . ??

Fuzz is a very loose term for what us bokehgraphers would like to call
"bokeh" We are very demographic on this thread, and we could hold a referendum to change the name to Fuzzygraphs, or something similar. Ideas anyone?

Keith

PS (Fuzzygraph doesn't really sound intellectual. . . . . does it??) But I'm just an old fart, and maybe we need the input of the youngsters like Michiel or Leica)

V

Vivek

Pan and AF? :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

BTW, Keith, love and hate are the same in my books. What counts is passion and not decorative words.:)

The lens was a custom made 12.5mm f/1.4 manual focus one (not the computars or cosmicars). Focus was fixed. f/5.6, 1/2500s, ISO400.

Image has little to do with G1 or the lens.

The shots I have made with a Nikon D300 and a 20/3.5 AiS Nikkor, earlier, turned out much better when printed.

See, for example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vivek-iyer/2476197592/in/set-72157604851825331/

The G1 snap has a bit too much of a shadow noise, in comparison.

f6cvalkyrie

A book is a great idea.
I'll will think about it and send you a mail.
In the meantime this thread can evaluate further. :)
Michiel
I have been approached by a silent and secret belgian admirer of our bokehgraphics.
He wants to do an exhibition on this topic, combined with an exhib of paintings from a friend of mine.

Wouldn't it be nice, to have the book available at the exhib, that should take place in spring 2010 ?

C U
Rafael

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I have been approached by a silent and secret belgian admirer of our bokehgraphics.
He wants to do an exhibition on this topic, combined with an exhib of paintings from a friend of mine.

Wouldn't it be nice, to have the book available at the exhib, that should take place in spring 2010 ?

C U
Rafael
Yes it would, Raf. We are turning out enough quality photos to do a book. The cost is reasonable, and we are beginning to recognize that we have a few categories of pictures - I want to post something on that soon.
How do we do this? - through private messages, or through another thread. Guy or Jack, maybe you could help here.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Pan and AF? :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

BTW, Keith, love and hate are the same in my books. What counts is passion and not decorative words.:)

The lens was a custom made 12.5mm f/1.4 manual focus one (not the computars or cosmicars). Focus was fixed. f/5.6, 1/2500s, ISO400.

Image has little to do with G1 or the lens.

The shots I have made with a Nikon D300 and a 20/3.5 AiS Nikkor, earlier, turned out much better when printed.

See, for example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vivek-iyer/2476197592/in/set-72157604851825331/

The G1 snap has a bit too much of a shadow noise, in comparison.
Vivek:

I was astounded by some of those images (fly in the bokeh), could you post a few here for all to see (doesn't matter about platform, it's the thought that counts - right, moderators??)

In the true spirit of this thread you have some beautiful bokehgraphs that need to be shown.

Keith

V

Vivek

Personally, I am averse to that idea (ie. AFA my images are concerned).

IMHO, if this is done through this site, it may or may not help this site.

Look at some examples (sites) out there that have this sort of schemes.

One ridiculous site publishes books/calendars and such (selected by a few who run that operation) and every contributing member is obliged (or spammed) into buying a copy. :thumbdown:

That said, I am sure Jack and Guy have a vision and purpose for this site and they would answer that question.

JerryMK

Woodmacy and Michiel I like your ships and Vivek that hoverfly is amazing. Wondeful position with the man in behind.

I like the idea of a book if, (like I think/thought Vivek says,) as long as it is not used in a commercialized way against ourselves.

Another Bokina ATx to share with you...

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Let me clarify my position:

If any photographer is going sell his/her work, I will support that and wish they would get the most cash they can.

OTOH, it is my belief that the book schemes that I am aware of would return pretty much nothing to the photographer.

I am also of the opinion that photography is an individual achievement (regardless of the goals).

I wish each and every single photographer the very best in their own endeavors.

On a forum like this, if there is free exchange of ideas and thoughts (words or images), it works well.

No more.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Let me clarify my position:

If any photographer is going sell his/her work, I will support that and wish they would get the most cash they can.

OTOH, it is my belief that the book schemes that I am aware of would return pretty much nothing to the photographer.

I am also of the opinion that photography is an individual achievement (regardless of the goals).

I wish each and every single photographer the very best in their own endeavors.

On a forum like this, if there is free exchange of ideas and thoughts (words or images), it works well.

No more.

Yes, Vivek, I would also like to clarify my position. Why are you obsessed with cash? - in all of the discussions of a book in this thread, you are the first to raise that frightful word.

I am what most people would call a successful business man. I have created one company that was sold in 2002 for enough cash to keep me going for another 100 years. I have another software company that I am still running that could get more cash than that. Cash is not on the top of my mind.

A little project like a book on fuzzygraphs means nothing to me as far as cash is concerned. It needs a lot of work - but the cash side of this project is meaningless to me. I am only interested in the excitement that a few people have expressed in this art, and doing a book about it. Even though I may have to expense it, the book will keep everyone excited.

But you certainly have a way of pissing people off, and now you have got to me. It was only a matter of time.

Enough said.

Keith

kweide

I still like the idea of a book. Made by GETDPI Members for GETDPI Members. Like the publication of FOTOCOMMUNITY, Why not ??? Without any financial interests. I think it will NOT even earn that much money to get rich, but perhaps some amount which can be invested into this forum ??? To pay its costs, to support Hardware upgrades, pay DSL linecosts etc. Dont know. Or just to finance a free lifetime membership ???

Keith, i am with you...

Klaus

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I still like the idea of a book. Made by GETDPI Members for GETDPI Members. Like the publication of FOTOCOMMUNITY, Why not ??? Without any financial interests. I think it will NOT even earn that much money to get rich, but perhaps some amount which can be invested into this forum ??? To pay its costs, to support Hardware upgrades, pay DSL linecosts etc. Dont know. Or just to finance a free lifetime membership ???

Keith, i am with you...

Klaus
Thank God for reason: "I need a little help from my friends"

We in Canada have a Prime Minister who can sing. Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOt2Qp0H9G8

Michiel Schierbeek

Well things start to clarify a little around the idea of a book.
I am very positive about this idea born out of enthousasm and inspiration on
this theme.

Vivek's arguments are his, so I understand he not in for this idea. So be it.
There are thousands of photobooks consisting of work of different photographers, without photographers losing their individuality.

There is another thing one must not forget that unsharp photographs are a sin for most professional photographers. The other day a photographer was hilarously telling me he was on an exhibition with unsharp photographs.
A sharp photograph is highest on the list of his capabilitys, otherwise they are fuzzy. :D

My first thoughts were, how to finance this. Making a book does cost money.
The making and design is not a problem for me.
Since the - Mostly out of focus - idea is born on the Getdpi forum by Keith, it is clear that it would be nice if the moderators would get involved.

The idea of Raphael for an exhibition in Brussel is very nice although I don't know if it should be in collaboration of a painter. May be if there is a very clear link to the theme.

I think I can arrange an exhibition in an artspace in Amsterdam, wherin I have been involved setting it up for a few years.

Greetings, Michiel

BTW Keith, I am not that young but I don't fart much (yet)either. :D

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I was going to do a Blurb book on this stuff - so I would be glad to have everyone along.

So, I will pay the intitial publishing charges. Because I am busy writing another book, I probably would need someone to assemble it. These are early days, maybe we need to to move this off this site - but I am open to ideas. Guy, Jack . . . . . ?

Keith