The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Late to the party but hopefully this conforms to the 75/25 rule (although, despite looking through the thread, I'm still not quite sure what the 75/25 rule is :confused:).

G1 with Pen F 42/1.2

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Late to the party but hopefully this conforms to the 75/25 rule (although, despite looking through the thread, I'm still not quite sure what the 75/25 rule is :confused:).

G1 with Pen F 42/1.2

Welcome Johathon - your image is beautiful and meets the 75/25 rule :salute::clap:

The rule was my first attempt to get people to post images that were focused more on out of focus than in focus. Some people call it the FOOFF rule :deadhorse: (see post 83)

But things are pretty loose around here. There might be trouble if someone posted an Ansel Adams replica :toocool:

Keith

A

Abbazz

Thanks to Keith and Leica 77 for the words of encouragement. Here are a few more with the Canon 50/0.95:

Fernsehen

Grave/frivolous

Self-bokehgraph

Cheers!

Abbazz

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
"Dust-Bokehgraph ?"

Took my G1 and Nikkor 55/3.5 into the garden and shot these two bokehgraphs just two minutes apart :bugeyes:

Keith

Leica 77

Thanks to Keith and Leica 77 for the words of encouragement. Here are a few more with the Canon 50/0.95:

Fernsehen

Grave/frivolous

Self-bokehgraph

Cheers!

Abbazz
Hi Abbazz,

Once again, your bokehgraphs are fantastic! I really like the bokeh produced by the Canon 50/0.95 lens. As Keith mentioned, your self bokeh portrait is the first in this thread. Cheers!

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi Keith,

Wonderful bokehgraph! As you know, the Micro Nikkor 55/3.5 is one of my favorite lenses!
Yes - the lens is very good. In this case I was just testing and my favorite image is the second, but what are all those little spots? Are they on the sensor, or the lens? I've never cleaned a sensor in my life. I took six of these images,and the spots are all in the same place.

The image was taken at f16 and about 1/20s with deliberate movement of the camera.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Yes - the lens is very good. In this case I was just testing and my favorite image is the second, but what are all those little spots? Are they on the sensor, or the lens? I've never cleaned a sensor in my life. I took six of these images,and the spots are all in the same place.

The image was taken at f16 and about 1/20s with deliberate movement of the camera.

Keith
I've figured it out - it is the sensor. I was concerned that with so much lens changing there would be dust, but I have never noticed it. It was just the quirky conditions of this Bokehgraph (shooting into the sun with a small aperture that showed it up)

Keith

A

Abbazz

Once again, your bokehgraphs are fantastic! I really like the bokeh produced by the Canon 50/0.95 lens. As Keith mentioned, your self bokeh portrait is the first in this thread. Cheers!
Thanks again, Leica 77. I find this thread very stimulating.

The self portrait is not really a bokehgraph, because technically the picture is properly focused. In fact, I shot my reflection on a stainless steel pillar in front of a bank, then I stretched the picture in Photoshop. Here's the original capture:

Cheers!

Abbazz

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thanks again, Leica 77. I find this thread very stimulating.

The self portrait is not really a bokehgraph, because technically the picture is properly focused. In fact, I shot my reflection on a stainless steel pillar in front of a bank, then I stretched the picture in Photoshop. Here's the original capture:

Cheers!

Abbazz
That is really sneaky!

You are really testing the system. This is the original rule :banghead:

The rule was my first attempt to get people to post images that were focused more on out of focus than in focus. Some people call it the FOOFF rule

But you are focusing on an in-focus image of and out-of-focus image, which is FFOOF.

There are people in this thread that can't handle the subtle difference between FOOFF and FFOOF - I'm one of them. :deadhorse: So that must be worked out. (someone will come up with a FFOOFF, I know it :cry:)

But your original image would sneak through the editorial board. The first on would not - definitely no stretching allowed :lecture:.

Keith :)