The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
New promos I'm making. Shot with the EP-1. I like them in this format, gives you an idea how they might look framed. All are reflections of trees in water.

mike

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
New promos I'm making. Shot with the EP-1. I like them in this format, gives you an idea how they might look framed. All are reflections of trees in water.

mike
Glad you found this forum, Mike. It's changed my direction with this type of imagery. Very inspirational.

But, my wife is wondering why I'm crawling around taking pictures of the basement floor and the bathroom carpet!

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Keith,

My wife asks the same questions also. She is Czech and when ever we are in Prague, I'm always shooting the old decaying walls and buildings, but they sure make great textures.

mike

m3photo

Thanks

Hi Michael,

I copied the text (below) that I posted earlier regarding my method. But basically, I shoot textures all the time and combine textures to make new textures. Then I layer them in photoshop and with the layer properties, I set them to different types such as overlay or soft light. And with masks I can control wether or not the texture goes over the entire image. I also use the opacity slider on the texture layer to control the amount. Most of my images have multiple textures and many adjustment layers.

Mike

Are you familiar with a site named http://www.chromasia.com
He does tutorials that are a fair price, and he actually did 2 tutorials on my work with textures that goes in depth in to my work with my examples and how I did it. Here is a more direct link. http://www.chromasia.com/tutorials/online/wwt1_info.php
It is a two part tutorial using my work and his work. However, if you don't want to get involved with that, just keep playing with different images and try different blend modes on the texture and opacity changes as well as masks to alter part of the textures. I sometimes use multiple textures on top of each other at different strengths. It's not uncommon to end up with 10 or more layers and huge files.
The chromasia tutorial would be better than a book. I don't make any money from this by the way, so I'm not trying to push his tutorials. He does do a great job of teaching though.
Hope this helps
Thank you Mike. I am sorry, I did see this before but my neurons must have taken a wrong turning then and forgot about it completely :eek:

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Thank you Michiel and Michael. This time of year is my favorite to shoot especially baron trees and reflections. I will post more as I do them. The black and white split tone works really well for these shots because of the contrast and the baron subject matter.

Mike

kevinparis

maybe not as abstract as some here...

but here is some Noctilux on e-p1 bokeh... excuse the noise... auto ISO was set way too high

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
"Suffolk Wheat Field in Evening Sun"
Still learning Photoshop. But since I cleaned my sensor, I don't have so many dots to play with :bugeyes: :deadhorse:

Keith

A

Abbazz

"Suffolk Wheat Field in Evening Sun"
Still learning Photoshop. But since I cleaned my sensor, I don't have so many dots to play with :bugeyes: :deadhorse:

Keith

Wow! Where are my sunglasses?

I wouldn't mind having this one printed big in my living room

Cheers!

Abbazz

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Wow! Where are my sunglasses?

I wouldn't mind having this one printed big in my living room .

Cheers!

Abbazz
Thanks Abbazz - it is easy to get carried away with these OOF composits. But the ideas that people on this thread are presenting encourage us all to experiment. :talk028:

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Nice shot Keith. I can't quite tell on my monitor, but is there texture in the sky also?

Mike

No Mike there isn't, but I wish there was. There is a texture layer there but I had trouble with masks and could not bring it out. Still learning. That was the one thing that made me hesitant about putting it up - let's call it "work in progress"

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Keith,

Hope you don't mind me doing this. Just wanted to show you an easy way to get texture in the sky. Flatten you image, if you want or just put a new texture on the top and roughly mask out the foreground either all the way or 50% as I did. Put the texture on top as Overlay.
This just adds a bit of texture to the sky which ties the sky to the rest of the image.

Mike

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi Keith,

Hope you don't mind me doing this. Just wanted to show you an easy way to get texture in the sky. Flatten you image, if you want or just put a new texture on the top and roughly mask out the foreground either all the way or 50% as I did. Put the texture on top as Overlay.
This just adds a bit of texture to the sky which ties the sky to the rest of the image.

Mike
Thanks so much, Mike - that is exactly the effect I wanted. I think the blending options are giving me some trouble. Overlay works well here.

This is the image that I was looking for :banghead:

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Your welcome Keith. I find that Overlay and Soft Light seem to work most often unless you are looking for wild color or something unusual.

mike