The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

Leica 77

Hi everyone:

I've got pictures in a couple of threads to show this and have got some good response - so I've started this thread where similar images can be posted.

A few ideas on the rules might be:
Pictures of bokeh only - no in focus image (but some might object to that)
The objective is to see as many nuances that the design and construction of the lens can bring to the table. It's obvious to do it on this forum because M4/3 lets you use most lenses ever made.
As these images are mostly abstract in nature, I think post processing should be allowed to go wild, with out changing the original structure of the bokeh. Severe cropping helps, so does lots of noise.

Here are a couple to get things going.

Keith

Hi Keith,
This is the very first post by Keith in this thread dating back to 7th September, 2009. Needless to say, the images are beautiful and now legendary. Your leadership in this thread is simply stellar. All the best, Leica 77.

P.S. This is the 1001st post in this thread.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi Keith,
This is the very first post by Keith in this thread dating back to 7th September, 2009. Needless to say, the images are beautiful and now legendary. Your leadership in this thread is simply stellar. All the best, Leica 77.

Thanks so much Leica for your enthusiasm and contribution to this thread, we have a long way to go :toocool:

When I first posted these images I didn't know what to expect. It turns out that photographers are really interested in getting the images they need, even under the worse situation for the lens (which may be the best situation for the image).

I've learned so much since this thread was started - I look at my images much more carefully to see what I can get out of them.

This one was taken from the window of a tour bus in Montevideo - it was pouring with rain, but the bus was moving so there is some action in the image. I wrote these pictures off - until this evening when I took a look at this one (original bokehgraph with no mixing, blending, textures or whatever)

Regards

Keith

Leica 77

This one was taken from the window of a tour bus in Montevideo - it was pouring with rain, but the bus was moving so there is some action in the image. I wrote these pictures off - until this evening when I took a look at this one (original bokehgraph with no mixing, blending, textures or whatever)
Regards

Keith

Hi Keith,
Wow! This is one of the very best images in this thread for sure. There is movement in the horse's head, legs and tail. It is a great illusion that gives a truly new direction to bokehgraphy. Best regards, Leica 77.

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

congrats to Keith and all the participants of this thread, for starting it and for keeping it interesting, a 1000 posts long !!!

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Long live the Bokeh :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Stay well,
Rafael

Leica 77

here's a few shot wit a more exotic lens, a c-mount Bell & Howell Super Comat 25mm f1.9, used wide open.

C U,
Rafael
Hi Rafael,
+1. This one of yours (Post #87) is certainly one of the very best contributions to this thread. BTW, many of your beautiful images recorded with the 7-14mm lens inspired me to purchase one of these last month, and I simply love it. I need to find time so that I can enjoy using the lens more. Kind regards, Leica 77.

Leica 77

Here's a shot where I am undecided between two versions : colour or B&W ??
Please give me your opinion !

(Micro-NIKKOR 55mm f2.8)

C U
Rafael
Hi Rafael,
One more of your finest images. This image is truly memorable! Best regards, Leica 77.

P.S. I just noticed that this is my 1000th post as well in this forum!

f6cvalkyrie

Thanks for serving memories, Leica77, I also greatly enjoy your contributions in this and other topics.

:thumbs: Congrats on your 1000th post. I wish you many more happy landings here :thumbs:

And, sorry to have you inspired to such big spending as the purchase of 7-14mm, but I'm sure that in your capable hands, it's money well spent !

Have fun,
Rafael

Diane B

Hi Keith,
Wow! This is one of the very best images in this thread for sure. There is movement in the horse's head, legs and tail. It is a great illusion that gives a truly new direction to bokehgraphy. Best regards, Leica 77.
+1 on this one. I missed it before---and love the feeling of movement.

Diane

Diane B

I found this one today and wonder if it fits into this thread. Shot with LB Composer @ f/2.0 disk--processed (and enhanced) in LR

Diane

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I found this one today and wonder if it fits into this thread. Shot with LB Composer @ f/2.0 disk--processed (and enhanced) in LR

Diane
OK Diane, I'm going to have to take a few more shots with my Composer - this one has double line bokeh in top right and oval highlights in bottom left.

I think that the lensbaby is wonderful for these OOF shots, because you can always squeeze some localized sharpness into the image for a point of reference.

Love it :salute:

Keith

Leica 77

OK Diane, I'm going to have to take a few more shots with my Composer - this one has double line bokeh in top right and oval highlights in bottom left.
I think that the lensbaby is wonderful for these OOF shots, because you can always squeeze some localized sharpness into the image for a point of reference.
Love it :salute:
Keith
+1. Love it! :salute:

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Keith,

Have been away for a while but I join in on this. It is a great thread in deed :clap::clap:

Thank you, Keith and Leica 77, for dragging my old photograph out of the mothballs, and the compliments.
Did forget about that one. May be something for a print.

Go away for a few days and creativety, here and in the blends thread as well, is exploding! Have to get some work done. :deadhorse:

Cheers, Michiel

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi Michiel,
Greetings! Looking back the 1000-post history of this thread initiated by Keith, this image of yours is certainly one of the masterpieces in this exciting thread. Kind regards, Leica 77.
I second that, Leica. This is one of those images that draws the eye in and holds it there. There is lots going on, and plenty of perceived movement.

Keith