The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

Lars

Love the way the colors work with the bokeh, John :salute:

Meanwhile:

BAD Project - Day 24

"Treed Square, Ibiza"

No apologies for more trees - they are lovely in Europe

Keith
This looks more like a lens :) the difference between the foreground and background defocus is very obvious in this one. Pentax 50 again? Background at the bottom?

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
My guess is the background at the top.
Hope my guess on what Lars is getting at by background and foreground is right.

The tilt adapter is putting a fairly narrow slice of in focus image from the top right window to the bottom left window.

Above that line it looks like the crunchy bokeh normally expected from the Pentax 50mm. Below the line the bokeh is smooth (image is focused beyond the focal point of the lens)

Keith

Lars

Keith,

I'm so used to view camera thinking, sorry about that...

You used forward tilt, pointing the lens down? That would lead to foreground bokeh above the focal plane and background bokeh at below the focal plane.
Or the opposite if lens was tilted upwards.

Lars

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Bad Project - Day 27

"Church and Coffee - Almeria"

Captured by the same old stuff: E-P2, Pentax 50mm, tilt adapter

Keith

abry

Just bought a lens: Nikon 75-150mm f/3.5 Series E. A compact push pull consumer zoom made in the early 1980s which, according to what I've read, became a minor cult lens for Nikon users. First shots of a bush that's just come into flower in the garden. Same distance at 75mm and 150mm wide open.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
BAD Project - Day 29 (The End)

"Rome Roof"

E-P2, Pentax 50/1.4, Tilt Adapter

The goal of the BAD project was to post a bokeh a day throughout my vacation, which started off as an Atlantic cruise and a few days in the UK - but, because of a volcano, became two cruises (long story)

I learned a lot from this exercise, and when the jet lag has left me I'll share some of my thoughts on bokehs, blends, in-focus, out-of-focus and all of that stuff. Thanks for watching.

Keith

Leica 77

Bird bath back in action. Contax G 45mm f/2 Planar at f/2.0 on G1-IR.

BAD Project - Day 29 (The End)

"Rome Roof"

E-P2, Pentax 50/1.4, Tilt Adapter

The goal of the BAD project was to post a bokeh a day throughout my vacation, which started off as an Atlantic cruise and a few days in the UK - but, because of a volcano, became two cruises (long story)

I learned a lot from this exercise, and when the jet lag has left me I'll share some of my thoughts on bokehs, blends, in-focus, out-of-focus and all of that stuff. Thanks for watching.

Keith

Hi Keith and Carl,
Your images are lovely! Keith, I have really enjoyed your BAD Project. Carl, I look forward to more of your fine images recorded by Contax G lenses. All the best, Leica 77. :)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thanks Leica!

Back home now, and testing a lens I ordered before the trip. This is the big brother of the Chinese 25/1.4 that I bought from shortfin-trading on e-bay. This lens is 35mm/f1.7 - it costs $40. Looks very good so far. This image is taken at full aperture.

Keith

Last edited:

scho

Hi Keith and Carl,
Your images are lovely! Keith, I have really enjoyed your BAD Project. Carl, I look forward to more of your fine images recorded by Contax G lenses. All the best, Leica 77. :)
Thank you Leica77. Thanks again also for your help with the Contax G 28. Surgery completed and "patient" is doing just fine. I'll post some images from the converted 28 soon.

seakayaker

Sun Glass

Voigtlander Nokton Asph. 50mm f/1.5 - ISO 100 - f/1.5 - 1/1000

Taking a walk on an overcast day . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan

~ ;)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Sun Glass

Voigtlander Nokton Asph. 50mm f/1.5 - ISO 100 - f/1.5 - 1/1000

Taking a walk on an overcast day . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan

~ ;)

Dan

Life is grander if you are sitting in that chair with a beer contemplating the sky.
My favorite kind of bokehgraph :salute:

Keith

seakayaker

Chives

GF1 with a Leica Lumix G Vario-Elmam 1:3.8 - 5.6 \14 - 50 ASPH. - ISO 800 - f/5.6 - 1/1300 - 50mm

. . . . . afternoon walk . . . . . return to the scene of the crime with a different lens . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)