The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Jonas and Lars

I think I have figured the smooth bokeh out. Vivek wrote in an earlier post:
With all the adapted lenses on m4/3rds, it is, in principle, possible to focus them beyond infinity.

Going past infinity to get fuzzy images has its uniqueness (smoother).

Those who have olympus pen F lenses can mount (hold the lens firmly! it will mount but is a tad lose) them directly on m4/3rds and get past infinity.

My Pentax lens does just that. When I take bokehgraphs, I don't look at the lens barrel when I focus - I just rotate the lens until I get the effect I want. In reviewing images with this lens, I see that I have quite a few with the smooth bokeh, and others with the typical Pentax circles and lines bokeh.

Here is the original dog picture, straight out of the camera and processed as a jpeg in Lightroom

Keith
Jonas, Lars and other interested people:

Harold Merklinger has some interesting comments on tilt/shift lense and focussing past infinity in this essay on the Luminous Landscape site.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/24-ii.shtml

Keith

Last edited:

seakayaker

Dan:

This is really nice. The colors in the background work so well together, and the in-focus sun gives the eye something to zero in on.

Keith
Thank you for the kind words.

I enjoyed the colors as well and found the picture very pleasing to my eye.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Do you have a link to the tilt adapter you mention? sounds interesting!

I'm only shooting for 90 days of PAD... only 9 days to go :toocool:

Cheers

Brian
Brian, the tilt adapter web site is here: http://www.adrianololli.com/articolo.asp?ID=3107. The adapters are lens specific. I use mine with M42 Pentax lenses - check carefully for the lens he covers.

I think the discussion in this thread is worth reading: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13647&highlight=tilt+adapter+italian

It was Mike Regnier who posts in the Blends thread that inspired me to, first get a Lensbaby, then get this adapter which gives me more flexibility.

You seem to be mainly a landscape photographer, and I think Mikes work shows the value of selective focus capability in this area. Check his web site and look at his Californian vineyard images http://www.regnierphotography.com/vineyards/.

If you search the getdpi site for "Italian tilt adapter" - there is lots more in there.

Keith

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
This one reminds me of the early days of this thread

"Whirling Dervish"

G1 with Chinese c-mount 25/1.4 - full aperture

Keith

seakayaker

. . . . . a new lens and adaptor for the GF1 . . . . . so a visit back to my favorite garden . . . . .

Hope you are not tired of the same shot. I just like the bokeh that the lens produces.

Sun Garden Gate

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f/2 -- ISO 100 -- f/2 -- 1/1300 -- 45mm

and

Sun Garden Gate

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Michiel Schierbeek

Taking a break from out of focus stuff - so this image should be in focus :toocool:

This is the Trevi Fountain in Rome, taken at dusk just after the lights were switched on. We always stay about 100 yds from here in a small hotel. The activity from dusk to early morning is incredible - this is a gathering point for the locals and the tourists. In one hour from this shot the crowd doubled.

Keith

Hi Keith,
Nice picture, shows well the attraction of this place and a much better shot then I came home with of this fountain. Two days later we (my wife and I) where standing at the Trevi fountain. Funny, we could have met.
Amazing city, Rome. :bugeyes:

:salute: Michiel

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi Keith,
Nice picture, shows well the attraction of this place and a much better shot then I came home with of this fountain. Two days later we (my wife and I) where standing at the Trevi fountain. Funny, we could have met.
Amazing city, Rome. :bugeyes:

:salute: Michiel
Hey Michiel - we were wondering where you were :cry:

Next time we will do it - my wife and I were there a year ago, same hotel. We had the best sole and buttered spinach we had ever tasted in a street restaurant just near here. This time we went to the same restaurant, sat in exactly the same place, and had exactly the same waiter. And the sole was just as good - I got a lot of images just sitting at my table in between eating sole (some of my romantic bokehgraphs of dining in the night - Leica loved those :thumbs: )

Keith

losta

I've been lurking here a while and really have been enjoying this thread.
Here is my latest it is a flower seedhead.

Camera: Panasonic DMC-GF1
Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 45 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Lens: LEICA DG MACRO-ELMARIT 45/F2.8

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Wonderful - I love the blue patch

. . . and welcome :clap:

Keith

seakayaker

. . . . . a beautiful shot! Love the Bokeh . . . . .

. . . . .and I love the work being presented with the 45/f2.8 lens!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Leica 77

Taking a break from out of focus stuff - so this image should be in focus :toocool:

This is the Trevi Fountain in Rome, taken at dusk just after the lights were switched on. We always stay about 100 yds from here in a small hotel. The activity from dusk to early morning is incredible - this is a gathering point for the locals and the tourists. In one hour from this shot the crowd doubled.

Keith

Hi Keith,
Great image of the Trevi Fountain in Rome! Reading Michiel's nice comments, you two were there about the same time. How incredible! :toocool: Several years ago, my family spent a few days in Rome on the way back from Florence where we attendied our little niece's wedding. We walked from the Trevi Fountain to our little hotel at Piazza de España, making a short stop at Planet Hollywood Roma for cold drinks on the way. It was a great Roman Holiday!!! All the best, Leica 77. :)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi Keith,
Great image of the Trevi Fountain in Rome! Reading Michiel's nice comments, you two were there about the same time. How incredible! :toocool: Several years ago, my family spent a few days in Rome on the way back from Florence where we attendied our little niece's wedding. We walked from the Trevi Fountain to our little hotel at Piazza de España, making a short stop at Planet Hollywood Roma for cold drinks on the way. It was a great Roman Holiday!!! All the best, Leica 77. :)

Leica

Seems that everyone loves Rome! This is a wonderful historical, cultural, romantic, culinary delight. The internet connection is a bit dicey, and sometimes the electrical switches are confounding. We will go again :clap:

Keith

losta

This is what was blue in my photo several above.

Last edited:

seakayaker

This is what was blue in my photo several above.

Lovely shot, I also enjoyed your photos at your website.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel, one of the "best of the bunch" in this thread.

Here is one of my best friend after a wonderful meal on Eurodam - just about to get to Rome

Keith

Keith, I like this very much. Just curious; are the people in the background cooks, or part of some festivity?
Looking at your glass in the foreground I remembered I shot this Kir-Royale back home in France.

Dan and Leica, thanks for your kind comments, enjoy a Kir-Royale :)

Cheers
Michiel

- Kir-Royale -

- Looking deeper into the glass :p -

Both with G1+Tokina AT-X Macro 90/2.5​