The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

kds315

DAISIES

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Jena MC Biometar 80mm f/2.8 -- ISO 100 -- f/2.8 -- 1/4000

. . . . . bright afternoon soon . . . . . took out the recently acquired 80/2.8 for a walk to a local city P-Patch . . . . .

Love the beautiful shots and bokeh from this lens!

Life is Grand!

Dan

~ ;)

Very nice Dan!!

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Here is one from my Biometar.

Michiel

- One big poppy -

G1 + Zeiss Biometar 80/2.8​
Lovely pictures, Michiel and Dan. Am I seeing things or does Michiel's Biotar have a different bokeh than Dan's.
Have either of you looked to see if you have a lens that focuses past infinity, in which the bokeh, in that case looks much different.
Vivek posted about this in this thread, and I definitely see the effect with my Pentax 50/1.4

Keith

seakayaker

Lovely pictures, Michiel and Dan. Am I seeing things or does Michiel's Biotar have a different bokeh than Dan's.
Have either of you looked to see if you have a lens that focuses past infinity, in which the bokeh, in that case looks much different.
Vivek posted about this in this thread, and I definitely see the effect with my Pentax 50/1.4

Keith
Keith, this is the only comment I could find . . . . . .

FWIW- General pointer to all.

With all the adapted lenses on m4/3rds, it is, in principle, possible to focus them beyond infinity.

Going past infinity to get fuzzy images has its uniqueness (smoother).

Those who have olympus pen F lenses can mount (hold the lens firmly! it will mount but is a tad lose) them directly on m4/3rds and get past infinity.
From Vivek posting it would appear that Michiel is experiencing the smooth bokeh. The discussion would be above my pay grade in understanding how something goes beyond infinity . . . . .

. . . . . are we talking ('infinity' from Merriam-Webster) " a part of a geometric magnitude that lies beyond any part whose distance from a given reference position is finite <do parallel lines ever meet if they extend to infinity>?"

So in the case that a lens does focus beyond infinity, is it a mechanical adjustment to the lens that is required? . . . . . then again would someone want to focus beyond infinity to receive the different output? There would appear to be lenses that do produce a smooth or no bokeh effect that do focus to infinity.

From a quality point of view, I would imagine that the manufacturer of the lens would like to have lens of a particular model behave the same.

One other thought, Michiel on the lens that I have it is labeled "MC Biometar 2.8/80 Carl Zeiss Jena DDR", is it possible that you have a different model such as a single coated lens?

. . . . . and thank you Keith for your kind words!

I do enjoy the output from this lens, the pictures have consistently surprised me on the quality output vs how they appear when framing in the EVF.

Life is Grand!

Dan

~ ;)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
From a quality point of view, I would imagine that the manufacturer of the lens would like to have lens of a particular model behave the same.

So in the case that a lens does focus beyond infinity, is it a mechanical adjustment to the lens that is required? . . . . . then again would someone want to focus beyond infinity to receive the different output? There would appear to be lenses that do produce a smooth or no bokeh effect that do focus to infinity.

One other thought, Michiel on the lens that I have it is labeled "MC Biometar 2.8/80 Carl Zeiss Jena DDR", is it possible that you have a different model such as a single coated lens?

. . . . . and thank you Keith for your kind words!

I do enjoy the output from this lens, the pictures have consistently surprised me on the quality output vs how they appear when framing in the EVF.

Life is Grand!

Dan

~ ;)
Yes, the manufacturer would want to see consistency. But we are using an adapter, and that throws out some of the exactness in lens to sensor distance. This can be an added advantage to the bokeh photographer as you can choose two types of bokeh.

Perhaps Vivek could comment?

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Dan, as understand it, infinity in these discussions means that when you are on the infinity mark scribed on the lens you see everything in extreme distance rendered in focus.
So if I am using a Pentax 50/1.4 that was designed for 35mm full frame format, Pentax would have calibrated the lens such that infinity on the lens meant sharpness for extreme distance.
But now I mount this lens onto a Pano G1 which is 4/3 and not FF, the adapter may not be calibrated to the new lens/sensor distance. So you can reach infinity (as seen by the eye) before you reach the infinity mark on the lens - and beyond that point, you will see an out of focus image.

Keith

seakayaker

. . . . . I went back through some shots from yesterday and these appear to have a smooth(er) focus?

Cally Lillies

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Jena MC Biometar 80mm f/2.8 -- ISO 100 -- f/2.8 -- 1/3200

and
Daisies

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Jena MC Biometar 80mm f/2.8 -- ISO 100 -- f/2.8 -- 1/4000

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Michiel Schierbeek

Dan, as understand it, infinity in these discussions means that when you are on the infinity mark scribed on the lens you see everything in extreme distance rendered in focus.
So if I am using a Pentax 50/1.4 that was designed for 35mm full frame format, Pentax would have calibrated the lens such that infinity on the lens meant sharpness for extreme distance.
But now I mount this lens onto a Pano G1 which is 4/3 and not FF, the adapter may not be calibrated to the new lens/sensor distance. So you can reach infinity (as seen by the eye) before you reach the infinity mark on the lens - and beyond that point, you will see an out of focus image.

Keith
Most of my adapters go behind infinity but just a very little bit, so I don't see much "working space" beyond infinity.
Actually I did not really check this adapter/lens combination on this.
BTW, Dan I have the zebra version and it doesn't say MC Biometar.
If I remember well those are single coated.

Michiel

seakayaker

Most of my adapters go behind infinity but just a very little bit, so I don't see much "working space" beyond infinity.
Actually I did not really check this adapter/lens combination on this.
BTW, Dan I have the zebra version and it doesn't say MC Biometar.
If I remember well those are single coated.

Michiel
. . . . . the jena 80/2.8 that I have is not a 'Zebra' model and perhaps that is the reason for a different rendering of bokeh!

. . . . . note to self: pick up a Carl Zeiss Biometar (zebra model) 80/2.8 for some test shots.

Also . . . . . make that a low priority based on availability and price!:)

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

seakayaker

Purple Flower with Bee

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton Aspherical 50mm f/1.5 -- ISO 100 -- f/1.5 -- 1/1600

. . . . . breaking the rule of thirds, but I just liked the colors in the photo . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan

~ ;)