The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

JerryMK

I see some great examples coming by but also some just OOF's... I really think the best way to show a good Bokeh is have a subject in focus and the for of background rendered. This going more and more about artistic OOF's.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I see some great examples coming by but also some just OOF's... I really think the best way to show a good Bokeh is have a subject in focus and the for of background rendered. This going more and more about artistic OOF's.
I don't think we ruled out doing that Jerry - see my post at the beginning. We have had some very interesting images with some sharp parts to them (see Kweides "Flying into . . "
Since I've been doing this though, I've realized that the PP for a bokeh only image is very different for one that has sharp content. OOF only images tend to be very flat, and they need a lot of pushing to make them sing - if there is sharp content, it will look a lot different.
I would vote for 75% bokeh/25% sharp as the upper limit. Ideas everyone? But everyone in this forum is easy going :rolleyes:

Keith

V

Vivek

I would vote for 75% bokeh/25% sharp as the upper limit.
You are approaching the "rule of the thirds" with that thought, Keith.

Exactly what I said about boket in the Leica thread.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Raf - the Bentley is great, took me ages to figure it out, then I read your title :cry:
Leica - those pearls look real, but are they?

I'm in south east England now, and it is early fall with lots of color. I'll try some Bokehgraph landscapes.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
You are approaching the "rule of the thirds" with that thought, Keith.

Exactly what I said about boket in the Leica thread.
Hey Vivek - here is a challenge.
Take you fuzzy dandelion posted near the beginning of this thread, and process it to get the maximum effect for the bokeh (maximize the bokeh, it doesn't have to look real)
I've done that and it makes a stunning image (the dandelion pops out)
Then post both images here.
You get a Leica M9 if you come through (but you will have to wait for a collection on your behalf from the members of this forum, sorry thread :thumbdown:)

Keith

f6cvalkyrie

Thanks Keith & Leica77 for your comments ;)

here's a few shot wit a more exotic lens, a c-mount Bell & Howell Super Comat 25mm f1.9, used wide open.

C U,
Rafael

JerryMK

Love the Swirly rendering of the Bell&Howell, this is a shot I took with a pre-war CZJ Biotar I sold... looking at this picture again I almost regrat :-(

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Raf and Jerry - these look to be perfect examples of the 75/25 rule above. Their predominant focus (????) is on the way the lens creates the picture.
Everytime I see these new exciting bokehgraphs I think this form of photographic expression has incredible potential.

Keith

Leica 77

Raf and Jerry - these look to be perfect examples of the 75/25 rule above. Their predominant focus (????) is on the way the lens creates the picture.
Everytime I see these new exciting bokehgraphs I think this form of photographic expression has incredible potential.

Keith
I agree with you that both Rafael and Jerry have produced beautiful images. We are flexible and promote creative digital expressions! Thanks for your comments regarding the "Tahitian Pearls". I actually own real Tahitian pearls. However, the ones in my post are digitally cultured "Tahitian" pearls! :)

Last edited:

Leica 77

G1 + Rollei (HFT) Sonnar 85mm F2,8. 100/0 (bokeh/sharp image) Ratio. "Galaxy Far Away".

The equipment used. 75/25 Ratio! :)

V

Vivek

Keith, You give up so easily.:) All "sharp" images are creeping in..:ROTFL:

OTOH, I have to decline your kind offer. No, won't do any PS work on the dandelion head shot.

Here is a fuzzograph for you. Navitar 75/1.3 doing the damage.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Keith, You give up so easily.:) All "sharp" images are creeping in..:ROTFL:

OTOH, I have to decline your kind offer. No, won't do any PS work on the dandelion head shot.

Here is a fuzzograph for you. Navitar 75/1.3 doing the damage.
No, I'm not giving in. These last images from Raf and Jerry truely show the effect of the lens design - those wonderful swirling circular backgrounds. We can tolerate a tiny bit of sharpness in Bokehgraphy to witness that.

You may have done the first Bokehgraph street photo, we need more :salute:
I'm off to do landscapes tomorrow. :thumbs:
Keith

bavanor

I went for a walk to the library this afternoon and decided to try taking some photos for this posting. These are all taken with the olympus 50mm zuiko macro at f2.0.

Leica 77

To compliment the posts by all talented contributors who have photographed beautiful flowers and bokeh, I post the following images for *reference* purposes. 75/25 Ratio. They were recorded earlier this year using a Nikkor 18-200mm lens. "Hawaiian Orchids". Thank you.

JerryMK

Leica77 and Rafael lovely ones the latest posts. I stumbled across this one...
It is the Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 a.k.a. "Bokina" in action againg.