The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Keith, still on line with a jetlag. :eek:
Thank you for your comment. I still didn't print any of the bokehgraphs.
But I will make a selection soon and print some, but I am hestitating because this stuff is a bit out of line of what I am doing. But it will grow on me. :)
I should do it since I enjoy it so much.Thanks for starting this thread which inspired me and which deleveloped so well with great contributions.
I did put some of them on my website;
http://www.michielschierbeek.com/Bokehgraphy/index.html
Michiel

Do not know why I wrote Hell Keith, but that was some dumb typing. It should have been Hi, of course :banghead:

Last edited:

Leica 77

Leica:
A stunning image. I think that this picture delivers much more emotional impact than if it were super sharp. It seems as if Bokehgraphy encompasses many different styles, and yours I think is the first post of a genuine portrait (others, please correct me if I am wrong). This is very difficult to do, to get it right.
When I have got over my 13 hours in the air, my 7 hours of jet lag, I would like to catch up. Since I left three weeks ago, some wonderful photo art has been shown here. My internet connections at sea were slow and iffy, so I didn't have the time to say how much I enjoyed the pictures. I'll make up for that.

Keith
Hi Keith,

As Michiel has just mentioned, you started this one of the most innovative threads in this Forum. We are deeply grateful to your foresights and leadership! Thanks, once again, and all the best! :)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thanks Leica and Michiel for keeping the momentum going, and the kind words.

Back home in Oakville, Canada. Here is another one from the cruise. It is the image of an iron gate in Balaclava.

"Wheels of Fortune"

Keith

T

thearne3

Currently on business in Belfast, but couldn't resist putting in a photo I took here yesterday. I'm playing with a Computar 25mm lens - a bargain at $25. Normally I would say the bokeh is really poor - having only three leaves in the aperture, it often produces triangular highlights. Much to my surprise, I like the bokeh in this shot at f2. I guess the background makes a big difference...lots to learn!

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Currently on business in Belfast, but couldn't resist putting in a photo I took here yesterday. I'm playing with a Computar 25mm lens - a bargain at $25. Normally I would say the bokeh is really poor - having only three leaves in the aperture, it often produces triangular highlights. Much to my surprise, I like the bokeh in this shot at f2. I guess the background makes a big difference...lots to learn!
I think the bokeh is really nice in your shot - but, technically, many photographers would say that it is not. It is whatever turns your crank, and that is what this thread is about.
I have Pentax tv lens that has a four bladed aperture (I assume from the image), and I try to get into situations that bring this out. Here is an example.

Keith

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Forgot to mention that I love the image - the flower is "droopy" and the background (bokeh) matches well.

Keith

V

Vivek

I'm playing with a Computar 25mm lens - a bargain at $25. Normally I would say the bokeh is really poor - having only three leaves in the aperture, it often produces triangular highlights. Much to my surprise, I like the bokeh in this shot at f2. I guess the background makes a big difference...lots to learn!
The number of blades do nothing bad to the bokih.

Xenoplan 25mm + a 0.5X converter (4 bladed aperture, lens was stopped down).

Anti bokei is also good with 4 bladed aperture.

Xenoplan 17mm.

The following fungi with a Computar-TV 25mm f/1.3 lens:

If odd shaped OOF highligths bother you, shoot wide open to have the perfect circular diaphram but you would still not see perfect circular OOF highlights. Only very few lenses can do that.

(BTW, f/2.8 is superb for the Computar-TV 25/1.3)

V

Vivek

Hello - Vivek :sleep006:

Keith
Keith, Excuse me for not responding to that. Much as like that iconic image, I just snapped it for the composition (the lines and all). So, the answer is, no.

But..once an image is displayed I can not lead the viewer what it is or how they should look at it.

My thanks to you and Michiel.:)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
The number of blades do nothing bad to the bokih.

Anti bokei is also good with 4 bladed aperture.

Xenoplan 17mm.

If odd shaped OOF highligths bother you, shoot wide open to have the perfect circular diaphram but you would still not see perfect circular OOF highlights. Only very few lenses can do that.

(BTW, f/2.8 is superb for the Computar-TV 25/1.3)
Vivek, I love this one, with the rays and the small square highlights.

Keith

JerryMK

What a beautiful ones passing by with every post. This one I like because the Bokeh gives a nice 3D effect to the photo.....

Michiel Schierbeek

Very nice new developments Jerry ans Vivek!
Keith, I like your "Ephesus Bush", looks like a microscope shot. Lots of PP?

Here is one with again lots of rather round circles.
Michiel

- Lightcycles -
Isco-Göttingen Berolina-Westromat 35/2.8

Leica 77

Hi Keith, Vivek, Jerry, Michiel, and thearne3,
Beautiful bokehgraphs, everyone! :)

G1 + Leica R Summicron 50mm. "Red Harley".

Last edited:

kweide

We should publish a book....
Getdpi´s bokehgraphers work....

Goodbye summer...
M.Zuiko 17 @f2.8

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Re: TV Lens

So that's why it's called a "tv" lens, 'cos you get all these little tv screens in your pictures:D
Yes - I knew you would spot that. The aspect ratio of the "square" changes if it is high definition - this can be very useful. Trouble is, high definition c lenses are hard to come by :deadhorse:

Keith