The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
My wife pointed to a photography exhibition currently being shown at the Ontario Gallery of Art (OGA).
It is called "Beautiful Fictions" and "examines the fascinating transformation of fact-based medium rooted in film to a fabricated product of computer-assisted manipulation."

Several photographers are represented but the work by Thomas Ruff will excite bokehgraphers.

http://www.artnet.com/Artists/LotDetailPage.aspx?lot_id=CDFF2E10DD936C038FA48C841DC74AB9

Michiel Schierbeek

Recently I saw this beautifull serie ( besides other kind of work, some of it not to mention here , he does) in a book off Thomas Ruff.
This serie is compleet abstract photography with a lot of post processing.
It is only natural we are not the first, one almost never is. :eek:
Most of us are still giving information in our bokehphoto's to solve the riddle in contradiction to these photographs.

I am also very interested in making use of reflection for more abstraction and coïncidence, for example through shopwindows etc. So I found a book of photographer called Saul Leiter, probably very famous, but I didn,t know him. Fantastic work.
Sorry another subject. :)
Here is a link http://www.lensculture.com/leiter.html

Good thing to show these works of Ruff for more inspiration.
Michiel

- Candle portrait -

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Michiel and Keith. I'll have to check out that Bob Dylan cover. The CV40mm 1.4 lens is great for doing this kind of work.

Mike

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thanks Michiel and Keith. I'll have to check out that Bob Dylan cover. The CV40mm 1.4 lens is great for doing this kind of work.

Mike
Mike - I have this lens, and haven't tried it for this stuff - so I will try it tomorrow.

I think on that cover Bob was walking with Suzy and not Joan, but he walked up there with a lot of friends - we need to do some research :lecture:

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Recently I saw this beautifull serie ( besides other kind of work, some of it not to mention here , he does) in a book off Thomas Ruff.
This serie is compleet abstract photography with a lot of post processing.
It is only natural we are not the first, one almost never is. :eek:
Most of us are still giving information in our bokehphoto's to solve the riddle in contradiction to these photographs.

I am also very interested in making use of reflection for more abstraction and coïncidence, for example through shopwindows etc. So I found a book of photographer called Saul Leiter, probably very famous, but I didn,t know him. Fantastic work.

Good thing to show these works of Ruff for more inspiration.
Michiel
I agree Michiel. We were not the first. But we may be the first in inspiring some very talented photographers on this site to try this stuff.
I've been looking at a few of the other threads on the site, and I think we are having an effect - lots of bokeh :thumbs:

At least I know that Ruff has not photographed the organic material in my garden :deadhorse:

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
EP-1 with lensbaby and combined images.
Also, a question. How do you get your images to show up large in the post instead of as an attachment? Couldn't seem to find the answer in FAQ.

http://www.regnierstudio.com/

Mike
The way I do it, Mike, is to upload my image to the gallery (gallery,upload). Once it has loaded, copy it's url the clipboard. Upen up your reply box and select the yellow icon with the mountain (paste image). Paste in your URL and all should be fine.

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
The way I do it, Mike, is to upload my image to the gallery (gallery,upload). Once it has loaded, copy it's url the clipboard. Upen up your reply box and select the yellow icon with the mountain (paste image). Paste in your URL and all should be fine.

Keith
Thanks Keith. I'll try that next time I upload.

Mike

Michiel Schierbeek

I think on that cover Bob was walking with Suzy and not Joan, but he walked up there with a lot of friends - we need to do some research :lecture:

Keith[/QUOTE]

Yes you are right it was not Joan Baez on the cover- The freewheelin' Bob Dylan -. And the photograph doesn't really look like it but the atmosphere does to my eyes.
Tommorow I am off to do some work in France for a week without the wwweb.
Hope I can find some time for Bokeh's :)
Enjoy, Michiel

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
As Michiel said, this is very evocative of the early days of musicians living in New York.

Mike:
I went to your web site and looked at your images. You have taken the post processing much farther than we have in this thread.
Your images are beautiful, and I would like your comments on how we may expand on the bounds that we have set ourselves (and this is only my interpretation of these bounds!)

1. Out of focus image
2. All the post processing you want on a single image
3. No combination of multiple images.

Do you think we should extend our range?

This is all about the relationship of photography and art, with photographic realism on one side and art abstraction on the other. In the middle there are lots of slots.

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Keith,
thanks for taking the time to check out my site. As you can tell I never leave an image as I shot it. Both of my parents are painters and I have always felt confined with the reality of photography, so my images out of the camera are just a starting point. As my Czech wife says about her art, "Jen Tak" which means it just happens.
Even with the Bokeh images that I have posted, I don't limit myself to just a single image. The first shot I posted of the figure walking down the street was added from an earlier shot that day. Since I was shooting the city shots with the lights out of a moving car (I was the passenger) I couldn't really wait for that figure to appear. And I didn't even realize that I needed it till I started working on the image back in the studio.
So I think for me the only limits you should put on the Bokeh images is that the major part of the image is out of focus.
I add the layers of texture as a sharp image, but usually dialed way back. The extra layers give the image depth and also a point to fix your eyes on. If that makes sense?
Here is another example . The subject of each image is out of focus,but the texture is sharp. Hope I've answered your question.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi Keith,
thanks for taking the time to check out my site. As you can tell I never leave an image as I shot it. Both of my parents are painters and I have always felt confined with the reality of photography, so my images out of the camera are just a starting point. As my Czech wife says about her art, "Jen Tak" which means it just happens.
Even with the Bokeh images that I have posted, I don't limit myself to just a single image. The first shot I posted of the figure walking down the street was added from an earlier shot that day. Since I was shooting the city shots with the lights out of a moving car (I was the passenger) I couldn't really wait for that figure to appear. And I didn't even realize that I needed it till I started working on the image back in the studio.
So I think for me the only limits you should put on the Bokeh images is that the major part of the image is out of focus.
I add the layers of texture as a sharp image, but usually dialed way back. The extra layers give the image depth and also a point to fix your eyes on. If that makes sense?
Here is another example . The subject of each image is out of focus,but the texture is sharp. Hope I've answered your question.
Mike - thanks for that. Your images are a welcome addition to this thread. I hope people here will go to your site.

You are suggesting to start with a mostly out of focus image (images) and post process in whichever way gives the image that you have in mind.

Sounds good to me.

Keith