The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

f6cvalkyrie

I've been absent from this thread for some time, due to lack of time :mad::mad:
Today, I'm shooting again, with my Nikkor 50/1.4

Here's some results

good evening,
Rafael

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
"Fall 152"
Not a very inspiring image, but I did it from two images.

1. Fall leaves captured by moving the camera
2. Metal plate with diagonal lines

The texture image gives a bit of life to the patches of overcooked pixels.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I do not know what to think of this... so I like to know what you think...

I like it, because it draws me in to figure out what it is. I think one of the essentials of this kind of image is a sense of mystery. You want the viewer to take another look.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Received my Lensbaby Composer today - this is one of the first shots with it.

"Fall 560"

I need to get some texture on it.

Keith

m3photo

Re: Texture

. . . and one with some texture added (too much, I feel, but I'm still learning) ...
I quite like it though Keith.
One thing I'd try (if you're using Photoshop) is to match the perspective of the texture to the colour image so they both go off to infinity at the top together if you see what I mean.
Tell me/us, if you may, what is your process ...

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Re: Texture

I quite like it though Keith.
One thing I'd try (if you're using Photoshop) is to match the perspective of the texture to the colour image so they both go off to infinity at the top together if you see what I mean.
Tell me/us, if you may, what is your process ...
m3photo:

You are right, the texture doesn't match - in post 585 I did match the texture to the drift of the leaves.

I first took the picture with a lensbaby, which gave me almost 100% OOF image. Then I downloaded a stock texture from Shutterstock. I blended the two in Photoshop and tuned the brightness, contrast and colour. I am new to photoshop, so right now I am finishing them in Lightroom, where I am more comfortable.
All of this is inspired by Mike Regnier's work. Mike luckily found this thread and has placed a few posts. You can see his stuff at
http://www.regnierphotography.com/vineyards/content/B0021P_0146_2_large.html
I've pointed this to his landscape section which is stunning. I took his advice and downloaded a couple of tutorials from Cromasia, which are really well done.
To get the most out of these techniques you really need to be quite competent with layers in PS - which I am not, yet.
The lensbaby is my first - I got the Composer as recommended by Mike. Lots of fun :thumbs:

Keith

m3photo

Re: Blends

m3photo: ... I blended the two in Photoshop and tuned the brightness, contrast and colour.
Thank you Keith. I had a good look at M.Regnier's work before and I really like his style.
Actually it's the PS blend mode I'm wondering about.
By the way my name's Michael and I'll make it so it's at the bottom of my posts from now on. Silly me, I hadn't realized up to now that others only reply to "m3photo"!

Michael

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Thank you Keith. I had a good look at M.Regnier's work before and I really like his style.
Actually it's the PS blend mode I'm wondering about.
By the way my name's Michael and I'll make it so it's at the bottom of my posts from now on. Silly me, I hadn't realized up to now that others only reply to "m3photo"!

Michael
Hi Michael

Under Layer Styles and Blending Options I have chosen Hard Light for both the images I have shown.

Keith

f6cvalkyrie

Here's one showing the bokeh of my just received Nikkor 180mm f2.8 ED (shot wide open, on tripod)

C U,
Rafael

m3photo

Under Layer Styles and Blending Options I have chosen Hard Light for both the images I have shown.
It's the best one for textures definitely.

For a different approach, here I've used Luminosity and added 50 Saturation and dropped the Levels to the flattened result.

Oops, got carried away there, sorry folks - it's not a "Bokehgraph".

Last edited: