The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Re: Blends

It's the best one for textures definitely.

For a different approach, here I've used Luminosity and added 50 Saturation and dropped the Levels to the flattened result.

Oops, got carried away there, sorry folks - it's not a "Bokehgraph".
Michael:

Is this a blended image? For my OOF images I go wild with the saturation, clarity, vibrance - whatever, controls. I use them like paintbrushes.

Keith

m3photo

Re: Blended Image

Is this a blended image? For my OOF images I go wild with the saturation, clarity, vibrance - whatever, controls. I use them like paintbrushes.
Yes it is (I wouldn't cheat on my own thread!:eek:)

It is a combination of these two:

They were both taken on film - but "scanned" with a G1, so I'm still OK on the 4/3rds Forum ain't I boss (Guy)?

Keith, you're too modest in your knowledge of Photoshop - using those commands like paintbrushes is exactly what an experienced user would do. There really are three basic "tricks" to master playing in PS to my understanding:
Selections, Layers and Masks.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Re: Blended Image

Michael:
I don't think anyone could possibly guess that you used cobble stones for the texture - but it works very well.
Keith

m3photo

Re: OOF and textures

According to someone I know this image belongs here too as the underlying layer is out-of-focus :p

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Re: OOF and textures

According to someone I know this image belongs here too as the underlying layer is out-of-focus :p
Yep - everyone will recognize this as a stunning Stage Two Bokehgraph. Stage Two is OOF image with other stuff layered on.

We need more of these

Thanks Michael

Keith

D

drxcm

Both shot with the 14-140, the daisy has a bit of RAW conversion PP, the second shot is as shot on dynamic mode

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Both shot with the 14-140, the daisy has a bit of RAW conversion PP, the second shot is as shot on dynamic mode
Now, I'm a dynamic kind of guy, so you know which one turns my crank. Lovely idea and execution. I bet the music sounds good too :clap:

Keith

m3photo

Re: Texture Added

I added a texture to an earlier image I posted:
"Mosque House"
And I've taken the liberty of adding another more obvious albeit random and not necessarily ideal texture, this being a mere example.
To your picture I applied another layer on top with a textured galvanised door and set it to "Multiply" and just left it like that (I would have set the Levels a bit higher and masked off the windows and door etc.), so you can see what my idea of the "grain" on top of the "out-of-focus" mix would be like.
I must admit it's not that easy to come to a satisfactory conclusion - but one must battle on, n'est ce pas?

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Re: Texture Added

And I've taken the liberty of adding another more obvious albeit random and not necessarily ideal texture, this being a mere example.
To your picture I applied another layer on top with a textured galvanised door and set it to "Multiply" and just left it like that (I would have set the Levels a bit higher and masked off the windows and door etc.), so you can see what my idea of the "grain" on top of the "out-of-focus" mix would be like.
I must admit it's not that easy to come to a satisfactory conclusion - but one must battle on, n'est ce pas?
Thanks Michael. This is where I have to go next. I ordered the book you recommended on layers, masks etc, but have to admit that my experience so far is limited to just blending two layers. This stuff takes time to do, doesn't it? I was used to downloading to Lightroom, making a few small adjustments and signing it off. But here, you can spend hours on one image:banghead:.

Keith

m3photo

Re: Spending Time

"Fall Tree 50"
I like this one even more.
Yes, spending time on images to get the (personal) best out of them has been going on long before digital came along of course, the foremost example that always comes to mind first is Ansel Adams - there's no way he'd just print what came out of the camera, albeit from large format negative. A digital file is even more demanding in my opinion but then again with Photoshop at one's fingertips instead of developer, fixer, stop bath and all manner of toners to breathe in all night is certainly even more tempting to say the least.

One for the road: