The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

Diane B

Wow, guys. I've not checked into this thread for almost 2 weeks. Blew me AWAY!!! I really really need to get out my Lensbaby and some other lenses, move back into PS (I use LR so much) where I love playing with masks, layers--and get into this. You've inspired me.

Diane

Terry

Re: Spending Time

I really must go back and start from the beginning on this thread as I've missed so much. This simply a stunning image somewhere between a dream and reality.

I like this one even more.
Yes, spending time on images to get the (personal) best out of them has been going on long before digital came along of course, the foremost example that always comes to mind first is Ansel Adams - there's no way he'd just print what came out of the camera, albeit from large format negative. A digital file is even more demanding in my opinion but then again with Photoshop at one's fingertips instead of developer, fixer, stop bath and all manner of toners to breathe in all night is certainly even more tempting to say the least.

One for the road:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Klaus, you are the master of titles for your pictures :thumbs:

Here is a fall shot, which is called "Fall Falls". But lets call it "Fall Falls One" because inspired by Mike I will attempt to put some texture on it.

Wonderful images in the past two weeks! And thanks Terry and Diane for the kind comments on the posts. There is a lot of different stuff going on here and it makes for interesting watching.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
"Fall Falls Two"

A blend with some linear texture. Works OK in the top half of the image, but the blends comes through too strongly in the bottom half. Back to my photoshop book. :deadhorse:

Keith

m3photo

Re: The Bridge

I really must go back and start from the beginning on this thread as I've missed so much. This simply a stunning image somewhere between a dream and reality.
Why thank ye kindly Terry. "Somewhere between a dream and reality", hmm quite what I had in mind :D

The reality here is that the weather's not quite apt for swimming ...

The wonderful attraction of this site is precisely that there are many fine images to see and share comments on and the sense of harmonious community.

May I also tempt you with a link?:
http://www.forums.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=150995#post150995

m3photo

Layers to the Rescue

"Fall Falls Two"
A blend with some linear texture. Works OK in the top half of the image, but the blends comes through too strongly in the bottom half.
Nice dynamics again. Keep 'em coming (I sound like a badly pasted mp3 track ((previously known as a stuck record))):p
OK, this needs a simple solution (easier done than written) - with a Layer of course.
Ctrl/Cmd J to "Juplicate" (Adobe engineer humour) the background Layer.
Click on the Layer Mask icon: the square with a circle inside.
Press G (for Gradient Tool) - up in the Options Bar click on the arrow to the right of the second item from the left and make sure either the first or second option is selected - Foreground to Background or Foreground to Transparent (when the Mask is active only Black and White are present in any case).
Press X if necessary to switch Foreground and Background Colours. In this case you want Black on White.
In the next Option along there are five small diagrams - make sure the leftmost one is active: Linear Gradient.
Leave Mode as Normal and Opacity at 100%
Check the following boxes: Dither/Transparency.
Making sure that the Mask Box is clicked upon and therefore active (shown by an additional set of frame lines around the box), Click at the bottom of the image itself and drag to the top and let go - you'll observe the result in the Mask icon itself, where Black at the bottom gradually goes up to White.
A simple mnemonic here: Black Blocks. Black will "block" any effect and conversely White will let the effect through.
Now click on the Image Icon itself to disable the layer Mask and work on the image.
Do what you have to do on the image and you'll observe that only the uppermost part of it is affected, said effect gradually disappearing as you look down the image. To further check the result Press Shift and at the same time click on the Layer Mask Icon toggling on and off to enable said Mask.
Adjust to taste. Any hiccups and I'll be glad to assist.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Re: Layers to the Rescue

Nice dynamics again. Keep 'em coming (I sound like a badly pasted mp3 track ((previously known as a stuck record))):p
OK, this needs a simple solution (easier done than written) - with a Layer of course.
Press G (for Gradient Tool) - up in the Options Bar click on the arrow to the right of the second item from the left and make sure either the first or second option is selected - Foreground to Background or Foreground to Transparent (when the Mask is active only Black and White are present in any case).
Press X if necessary to switch Foreground and Background Colours. In this case you want Black on White.
In the next Option along there are five small diagrams - make sure the leftmost one is active: Linear Gradient.
Making sure that the Mask Box is clicked upon and therefore active (shown by an additional set of frame lines around the box), Click at the bottom of the image itself and drag to the top and let go - you'll observe the result in the Mask icon itself, where Black at the bottom gradually goes up to White.
A simple mnemonic here: Black Blocks. Black will "block" any effect and conversely White will let the effect through.
Now click on the Image Icon itself to disable the layer Mask and work on the image.
Do what you have to do on the image and you'll observe that only the uppermost part of it is affected, said effect gradually disappearing as you look down the image. To further check the result Press Shift and at the same time click on the Layer Mask Icon toggling on and off to enable said Mask.

m3, bear with me - I'm going to give this a try (If I've not returned by next month, send out a search party :banghead:)

Keith

(Thanks, I need all the help I can get :bugeyes:)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Here is a try from me. Sorry got inspired again. :lecture:

Michiel

- Selfportrait -

G1 + Revuenon 55/1.2​
Michiel

Just noticed that it is a self portrait

I thought that you were much older then (but wiser than that now) But with OOF it's tough to judge :toocool:

What are you doing? - plucking a violin - sometimes these bokegraphs drive the viewer's insane trying to guess what's going on. But Picasso made a lot of money from that :deadhorse:

Lovely portrait.

What we are short of in this thread are landscapes. Mike Regnier has many of those on his site. They are tough to do.

BTW - is that a single exposure? There is a square texture in the background?

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

I still do have my hair :D but for the rest I tend to be old although I can look rather young. :ROTFL:
This was a mirrorshot in the bathroom with little blue mosaictiles in the background. The rainbow arose while playing with a mirrordoor.
I was just holding the camera with two hands and I thought I looked like a ringfighter.
Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

Re: Layers to the Rescue

Michael, thanks for this instruction. This was exactly what I was trying to achieve the other day and I just couldn't figure it out.
Gonne try again. Thanks for this!
Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

Keith, again no landscape. Must go to the coast soon and see what I can do there.
Here is one from today. It consists out of 4 different photograph and I roughly :rolleyes: mixed them together with the smudge tool.

- Ballet of lights -

G1 + Nikon 50/2​