The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

B

Brian Puccio

Walking around NY, GF1, Zeiss 25mm at ISO 1600, 1/100, f/2.8.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Two images and a lensbaby - much more refined than my earlier "fall blow" stuff (I think, :wtf:)

Welcome to Brian, and Jono. Good Stuff.
Beautiful image, Mike - I especially like the background (I have dug up my CV 40/1.4, and tomorrow I use it)

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Jono and Keith.
I love the cats eye Jono. I've tried to photograph my cat and know how tuff it is to get a shot like that.

And Keith, I like your last lensbaby shot. I found that the winter is the best time to shoot trees with the lensbaby.

Mike

Michiel Schierbeek

Wow lots of new ones!

Mike , I love the light in your three photo picture. The leave stands out and the background works well!

Jono, very nice and a really good lens that is. Smooth rendering. Another financial problem.:eek: The first one is my favourite.

Keith, that is very refined indeed! Looks like Cy Twombly.

Klaus, also still no winter in the woods of Germany!

Here is one while waiting for a movie in the cinema.

Michiel

- Cinema -

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
EP-1 lensbaby

Shot this summer with the lensbaby on the EP-1. Layered with texture.

Mike
http://www.regnierstudio.com/

Mike - your images make me think so much of the impressionists. If an impressionist had the cameras and software that we have, they would be turning out these images, and figuring out the ways that it could go forward. Where would it end? - in the literal image; I don't think so, it would lead to total abstraction.

Picasso had a camera, but it was not digital :toocool:

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Keith,

I love impressionists paintings, and I do wish sometimes that I was able to paint. Both my parents are painters, so I guess I have that background in me. I have always been trying to go beyond the reality of the camera and make images that are more like paintings. Digital sure makes it easier. I've been doing this style of work for about 15 years. With film, I would tape transparencies together and dupe them in the darkroom, it took forever to get it right. Now, I can make several variations quickly and without all the expense of film. It's a great time to be a photographer.

mike

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Michael,

I copied the text (below) that I posted earlier regarding my method. But basically, I shoot textures all the time and combine textures to make new textures. Then I layer them in photoshop and with the layer properties, I set them to different types such as overlay or soft light. And with masks I can control wether or not the texture goes over the entire image. I also use the opacity slider on the texture layer to control the amount. Most of my images have multiple textures and many adjustment layers.

Mike

Are you familiar with a site named http://www.chromasia.com
He does tutorials that are a fair price, and he actually did 2 tutorials on my work with textures that goes in depth in to my work with my examples and how I did it. Here is a more direct link. http://www.chromasia.com/tutorials/online/wwt1_info.php
It is a two part tutorial using my work and his work. However, if you don't want to get involved with that, just keep playing with different images and try different blend modes on the texture and opacity changes as well as masks to alter part of the textures. I sometimes use multiple textures on top of each other at different strengths. It's not uncommon to end up with 10 or more layers and huge files.
The chromasia tutorial would be better than a book. I don't make any money from this by the way, so I'm not trying to push his tutorials. He does do a great job of teaching though.
Hope this helps