The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel, taking another approach . . . . .

. . . . . took the original raw, opened in Bridge to Preview, save as tiff 16 channel, then open in Bridge to Photo Shop. Made adjustment to brightness/contrast and then Images > Adjustments > Levels > Options > selected Enhance per Channel Contrast.

The result .....

Grass

GF1 with Ernst Leitz Wetzair - Hector 135mm f/4.5 -- ISO 100 -- f/4.5 -- 1/160 -- 135mm

A different look . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)
Certainly more lively, may be a bit overcooked, but that it is a matter of taste as wel. I think this is already an improvement. What do you think?

If you dubbelclick in bridge; do you get into the RAW workspace of Photoshop?
It depends on your version if it supports your camera.
If not, you can may be download the camera support for your camera.
You probably need CS 4 for that support. I have CS3 and I can't download the G1 support.
In that case you can use the RAW workspace of Silkypix delivered with your GF1. Works well too.
I say this because it works much better in RAW space and make the adjustments there.
And then use photoshop for sizing etc.

Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

I see in your data you have a MAC and CS4, so it should not be a problem. You don't need tiff, work in RAW in PS and save in JPG . Tiff is a good format for printing and you don't loose quality each time you save like in JPG.

Michiel

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
This is the first test shot with my "Isco-Gottingen Berolina-Westromat 35/2.8" as used by Michiel in some of his Bokehgraphs (Thanks to Michiel for helping me locate one :salute:)

The bokeh is very interesting, and I need to take many more images. I like the treatment of the ferns on the left side of the image.

G1 with the ********************lens set to 2.8

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

This is the first test shot with my "Isco-Gottingen Berolina-Westromat 35/2.8" as used by Michiel in some of his Bokehgraphs (Thanks to Michiel for helping me locate one :salute:)

The bokeh is very interesting, and I need to take many more images. I like the treatment of the ferns on the left side of the image.

Keith

Congrats Keith, first shot is top of the bill :clap::clap:
So you did not have to wait for ages for the adapter.
It was a little silent out there; I thought he must be up to something :cool:

Michiel

seakayaker

Certainly more lively, may be a bit overcooked, but that it is a matter of taste as wel. I think this is already an improvement. What do you think?

If you dubbelclick in bridge; do you get into the RAW workspace of Photoshop?
It depends on your version if it supports your camera.
If not, you can may be download the camera support for your camera.
You probably need CS 4 for that support. I have CS3 and I can't download the G1 support.
In that case you can use the RAW workspace of Silkypix delivered with your GF1. Works well too.
I say this because it works much better in RAW space and make the adjustments there.
And then use photoshop for sizing etc.

Michiel
Micheil, thank you for your advise and encouragement.

I did go to the adobe website and did download the Camera Raw 5.7. I adjusted once, then twice, then three . . . . . I can see that over time the experienced eye will help . . . . .

Anyway the the original and ......

The Original 'Grass'

Adjusting made in Photo Shop 'Grass'

Adjustments using Photo Shop Camera Raw 5.7 # 1 - 'Grass'

Adjustments using Photo Shop Camera Raw 5.7 # 2 - 'Grass'

Adjustments using Photo Shop Camera Raw 5.7 # 3 - 'Grass'

. . . . for now I like number 3 . . . .

Once again, thanks for the suggestions!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Leica 77

Keith

Hi Keith and Michiel,
The Isco Gottingen Gerolina-Westromat 35/2.8 glass is a stellar performer. Inspired by Michiel, I recently acquired an Isco Gottingen Westromat 50/1.9. The sharpness of the 50/1.9 glass is truly amazing. The bokeh, on the other hand, seems to be more pleasing with the 35/2.8 glass. When I have an opportunity to further test the 50/1.9 glass, I will post a sample image. All the best, Leica 77. :)

Leica 77

I did go to the adobe website and did download the Camera Raw 5.7. I adjusted once, then twice, then three . . . . . I can see that over time the experienced eye will help . . . . .

Anyway the the original and ......

The Original 'Grass'

Adjusting made in Photo Shop 'Grass'

Adjustments using Photo Shop Camera Raw 5.7 # 1 - 'Grass'

Adjustments using Photo Shop Camera Raw 5.7 # 2 - 'Grass'

Adjustments using Photo Shop Camera Raw 5.7 # 3 - 'Grass'

Life is Grand!
Dan
~ ;)
Hi Dan,
I like them all! Each treatment has its own nice character. Best, Leica 77. :)

Leica 77

LAD Project Day #15
G1 + Zeiss Sonnar 135/3.5

There are a gazillion 135mm lenses but this is one of my favourites that I know off. This one always surprises me.

Michiel

- Blue flower -
Hi Michiel,
This is a stunning capture! The composition is quite dynamic! The Zeiss glass seems to produce its great performance even when combined with micro 4/3rds cameras. Best, Leica 77. :)

f6cvalkyrie

This is the first test shot with my "Isco-Gottingen Berolina-Westromat 35/2.8"
Great to see that you now also own a lens with an unpronouncable name, Keith ! And a lovely first shot :clap:

Another dark and wet day, another indoor shot :rolleyes:
This lens has very stiff focusing, after it fell on the ground.

Rafael's FLAD #17, G1 with Nikkor 105/2.5 on bellows

C U,
Rafael

seakayaker

Hi Dan,
It's a terrific image. I love the Blue Flowers! Best, Leica 77. :)
. . . . . thanks once again for you kind words here and above on the 'Grass' bokeh.

The 'Blue Flowers' did not have much bokeh, but I did love the shot itself. A very happy photo, at least it make me happy and brought a smile to my face!

This panasonic/leica lens renders lovely shots.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Michiel Schierbeek

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)
My pleasure! I do agree with # 3.

Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

LAD Project Day #18
G1 + Meyer Görlitz Primotar 180/3.5

I jump from #15 to LAD #18 because I doubled LAD #5 and#15, nobody noticed. That's the trouble with copy/paste :deadhorse:

I had this lens for a long time but could never use it because the fixed contax mount on it was strange, it didn't fit the Contax adapter.
Yesterday I put the mount against my big grinder and now it fits. I cleaned the glass but there is still dust inside. Anyway it is heavy, build like a tank and has 15 blades turning smoothly.

Michiel

- Passing truck -

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi Keith and Michiel,
The Isco Gottingen Gerolina-Westromat 35/2.8 glass is a stellar performer. Inspired by Michiel, I recently acquired an Isco Gottingen Westromat 50/1.9. The sharpness of the 50/1.9 glass is truly amazing. The bokeh, on the other hand, seems to be more pleasing with the 35/2.8 glass. When I have an opportunity to further test the 50/1.9 glass, I will post a sample image. All the best, Leica 77. :)
Thanks Leica
This was my first shot - I want to find a subject that brings out the Bokeh more. Let's see the 50/1.9 as soon as you get a chance.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Here is another from my IGBW3528 lens. This time I was trying to push the bokehgraphy toward the old style.

This is called:

"Plane tree, lawn, hedge, path and a road through the middle"

Keith