The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

Michiel Schierbeek

Another from my Sima soft focus f100, f2.0 lens

Keith

Very nice results with your Sima soft focus lens :)

It was not yet on my list of lens brands, I mainly picked up from another forum, but added quiet a few myself. Here is the list for all the lensfreaks among us :confused:, with your Sima added.
I don't pretend it is complete ( or right ), but it is a sort of for ever growing and changing list of brandnames.

Michiel

Accura
Admiral GMC
Aetna
Albinar
Alpex
Angenieux
Artar
Asahi
Asanuma
Ashreh
Astragon
Astro Berlin
Astronar (Astranar?)
Beroflex
Bittco
Bushnell
Carenar
Carl Zeiss
Carl Zeiss Jena
Carsen
Caspeco
Celestron
Centagon
Centon
Chinon
Cosmicar
Crestar
DeJur
Danubia
Dörr
Elicar
Enna
Ensinor
Exaktar
Eximar
Flexomat
Focal
Fodor (local NL?)
Formula-5
Fujita/Fujitar
Gamma
Greens
Hanimar
Hanimex
Harmony
Helios
Hoya
Hugo Meyer
Isco-Göttingen
J. C. Penny
Jupiter
Juplen
Kaligar
Kalimar
Kamero
Kenlock
Killfit
Kino (aka Kino Precision)
Kinor
Kominar
Komura
Korea Praktica
Kowa
Kyoei
Lentar
Luxon
Makina
Makinon
Makinon
Mamiya/Sekor
Marexar
Mayfair/Mayfair Chelico
Meyer- Gorlitz
Miida (brand of Marubeni)
Milda
Mirage
Mitakon
Montgomery Ward
Olympus
Omintar
Opteco
Opticam
Optomax
Ozeck
Palinar
Pallas
Panagor
Paragon
Peerotar
Pentacon
Pentax
Pentor
Petri
Photax
Pieskar
Polaris
Prinz
Prinzgalaxy
Promaster
Promatic
Proxima
Ranger
Raynox
Raynox Polaris
Revuenon
Rexar/Rexatar
Rexatar Auto
Ricoh
Riconar
Robotar
Rodenstock
Rokunar
Sankor
Schacht
Schneider- Kreuznach
Sears
Seimar
Sicor
Sima
Sironar
Soligor
Sonnagar
Spectra
Spiratone
Starblitz
steinheil
Sun
Sunderland
Suntar
Supra Magenta
T.M. (yes, just that)
Tair
Tamron
Tele-Kinegon
Tercon
Tokina
Tomioka
Tominon
Travenar
Underground
Unitar
Universum
Upsilon
Varexon
Vemar
Vernon/Edonar
Vivitar
Weltblick
Wirgin
Wolfpro
Zeiss
Zenitar
Zodel
Zoomar

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Very nice results with your Sima soft focus lens :)

It was not yet on my list of lens brands, I mainly picked up from another forum, but added quiet a few myself. Here is the list for all the lensfreaks among us :confused:, with your Sima added.
I don't pretend it is complete ( or right ), but it is a sort of for ever growing and changing list of brandnames.

Michiel
Michiel - that is fascinating, it should be a sticky on the thread (don't know how we do that) Is this list for 35mm mount only?

Since you went on your second vacation I purchased six more lenses. Here is a shot from one of them - a Rexanon 28mm f2.8 ($39) This is a really nice lens, looks like new and is fairly sharp with a nice bokeh

If Dan is reading this - - I also picked up my third Isco-Gottingen lens, a Westagon 50mm/f2.0 for $59 . . . . . . . . . . . from Seattle :rolleyes:

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

Keith;
Lens a day is coming your way :ROTFL:

I think most of them are 35mm lenses but also 6 x 6 lenses.
Lot of those brandnames are manufactured by other names.
There is not a lot of C-Mount on this list yet, the list is open for suggestions of course.

Looking forward to your other examples from your new lenses.

Michiel

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Re: Breaking Wave

Hmm. I like the idea but when I see lack of punch I always say to myself that's there's more there. I'm the one who preferred the contrast added to the geese in another of your masterpieces.

This is just my view of course but I'll share it on the forum with your permission:

The Auto Color command is one most forgotten by "hardened" Photoshop users because it entails the dreaded "auto" prefix. I use it profusely, not always to 100% and sometimes not at all as it too misses the point sometimes, but as a check to see if there's a better version of the image's colour and contrast (yes it engulfs more than just colour balance) it's one not to be snubbed at.
In this case I duplicated the layer, applied Auto Color and then on a mask painted a straight line across the in focus wave break with a soft black brush at 33% to bring back a touch of the green in the shadows which was too contrasty for my liking on pure "auto". The ensuing colours in the sky are simply Photoshop's way of interpreting the image as it thinks the camera saw them, the important aspect of this exercise is the overall contrast added which for me provides the "punch" I saw lacking. Much more post-processing can be done to suit all tastes of course but the Auto Color example was what I wanted to share here.
Thanks for your thoughts Michael. I did give it a go by using Auto Color as you suggested. I ended up masking most of it out, but I kept it in the area right above the wave. I still think on this one, I like the original one. I did agree with you on the geese landing in the water. It was much better than the more subtle one that I had posted. Sometimes I wonder if these subtle colors come across on everyones monitor. I looked at this on 3 different monitors in my house and they all looked different even though they are all calibrated. The print is the real ending point. Here is my effort.

MIke

kds315

Yep, actually once you know how a (your) lens behaves, one can foresee/predict the results quite well. That lens is special and quite rare, I had it once but got an irresistable offer. Now after a time of regret, I finally found me one again.

@Dan: the white roses are awesome!!

seakayaker

If Dan is reading this - - I also picked up my third Isco-Gottingen lens, a Westagon 50mm/f2.0 for $59 . . . . . . . . . . . from Seattle :rolleyes:

Keith
. . . . . nice pick up, post some shots when you get a moment. I bid on the occasional ISCO when I see one available but haven't had the winning bid as of yet. I have found that you have to be around when the item is nearing the closing and put in a last minute bid. Most of the time I'm not around when the auction closes . . . . .

. . . . . patience . . . . . . :D

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

seakayaker

Echinacea ~ Coneflowers

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton Aspherical 50mm f/1.5 -- ISO 100 -- f/1.5 -- 1/1600

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)