The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

R

radatax

Lovely flowers there :)

I've been thinking of getting a Nokton 40/1.4 to replace my Nikon 50/1.8 because the Nikon's a huge lump with the adapter on a GF1. The Nokton's bokeh wide open seems a bit harsh and blurred edges seem to pop out. Would it have smoother bokeh when stopped down a bit?

seakayaker

I've been thinking of getting a Nokton 40/1.4 to replace my Nikon 50/1.8 because the Nikon's a huge lump with the adapter on a GF1. The Nokton's bokeh wide open seems a bit harsh and blurred edges seem to pop out. Would it have smoother bokeh when stopped down a bit?

. . . . . I will shoot a couple of shots tomorrow at 2.8 & 4 and post them. Well at least one and a link to the rest on Flickr.

I do love the Nokton 40/1.4. There are two versions, the SC (single coat) and MC (multiple coat). The lens that I have is the SC.

When shooting flowers, I do not mind the harsh bokeh at all . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

seakayaker

_1120399 Petunias and the Street Musician

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton Classic SC 40mm f1.4 -- ISO 100 -- f1.4 -- 1/3200

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Michiel Schierbeek

Dahlias

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton Classic 40mm f1.4 -- ISO 100 -- f1.4 -- 1/4000

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Outstanding Dan!
The colours, the sharpness and the drawing of the bokeh!

Did not buy the lens yet, but that's because it's prohibited to buy any lenses for me :deadhorse:

Michiel

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Dan, you have definitely proved that the Nokton 40mm can do wonderful things.
I'm with you on preferring structured bokeh behind the main subject - and if the photographer is careful, the structure can compliment the image. Lenses with smooth bokehs remove that degree of creativity.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
September 7 is BOKEH BIRTHDAY :salute::salute::salute:

This thread will be one year old tomorrow. Lots of stuff has happened:

. We have a loyal following
. We have investigated all aspects of how bokeh contibutes to the image
. We have discovered a mass of wonderful legacy lenses that exhibit a weath of different bokehs
. We've had a lot of fun!!

Anyone new to the thread should take a look at the very early posts.

. Ranger 9 coined the word "bokehgraph" and commented on the artistic merits of bokeh being the prominant part of the image

.KayCee was a bit suspicious - he said " Jeez, I can't believe this thread actually has so many taking part. What next...pictures of your lens caps
Whatever floats your boat I suppose."

. Just to prove that bokehgraphers listen: here is a recent shot of one of my many lens caps:

(This is a lens cap from a Rexanon lens and has "PHOTAX REXAR" written on it.)

After one year I would have to say that "this stuff really floats my boat" :deadhorse:

So tomorrow is the the time to post the your favorite two bokehgraphs that you have taken since we started a year ago. And we need a simple message as to why these are your favorites. You need not post them at the same time - that may give us the constant change through the day that will make it more interesting.

. don't worry if you have just one - post it

. if you want to post three - we are easy going here

. if you have not yet posted, but have some bokehgraphs tucked away, now is the time to bring them out

Looking forward to tomorrow

Keith

m3photo

Oz

G'day! Happy birthday Keith!
OK so I don't live in Australia, well not just now but I'll pretend I do and cheat by 40 minutes as the www permits such variations and post mine now 'cos I've got a good excuse for tomorrow, so there!

Why are they my favourites? There's always been a special place for me in the form of the 50mm lens. Here on this section of the forum of course we get to use it as a 100mm equivalent too.

The first one is used as it was meant to be - on a full frame camera as a pure 50mm; in this case at f/4 so we see the seven blades of the diaphragm.

In this second one the CV Nokton 50mm f/1.5 is used wide open to maximum "bokehgraph" effect:

seakayaker

Michael, thanks for starting us off on the Bokehgraph birthday!

Love the first one with the seven-side bokeh! Wonderful shot . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Re: Oz

G'day! Happy birthday Keith!
OK so I don't live in Australia, well not just now but I'll pretend I do and cheat by 40 minutes as the www permits such variations and post mine now 'cos I've got a good excuse for tomorrow, so there!

Why are they my favourites? There's always been a special place for me in the form of the 50mm lens. Here on this section of the forum of course we get to use it as a 100mm equivalent too.

The first one is used as it was meant to be - on a full frame camera as a pure 50mm; in this case at f/4 so we see the seven blades of the diaphragm.

In this second one the CV Nokton 50mm f/1.5 is used wide open to maximum "bokehgraph" effect:

Michael - glad you could come to the celebration

I love number two - it does quirky things to my eyes

You started the blends thread, which was a new adventure for me - and you have some really good stuff over there. We dragged Mike Regnier into the threads and that was good

Keith

kds315

Well, it is Sep 7th here already, so one of my personal bokeh fav's still is ... "FLAME ON"

f0.75/50mm lens

seakayaker

Gray overcast day here in Seattle with some rain. I did go out and do a test run of the Voigtlander Nokton Classic SC 40mm f1.4 lens. I took a series of photographs with the GF1 hand held with the aperture settings from f1.4 to f16 with the half stops. Use of a tripod would have been better and perhaps closer focus on the f13 shot.

I do not want to post them all especially on the Bokeh Birthday so you will find them posted here on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/4965707660/in/set-72157624770881715/lightbox/

I hope that helps you with your decision. Perhaps someone with the MC version could so something similar for a comparison.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Leica 77

September 7 is BOKEH BIRTHDAY :salute::salute::salute:
This thread will be one year old tomorrow. Lots of stuff has happened:
. We have a loyal following
. We have investigated all aspects of how bokeh contibutes to the image
. We have discovered a mass of wonderful legacy lenses that exhibit a weath of different bokehs
. We've had a lot of fun!!
Anyone new to the thread should take a look at the very early posts.
. Ranger 9 coined the word "bokehgraph" and commented on the artistic merits of bokeh being the prominant part of the image
.KayCee was a bit suspicious - he said " Jeez, I can't believe this thread actually has so many taking part. What next...pictures of your lens caps
Whatever floats your boat I suppose."

. Just to prove that bokehgraphers listen: here is a recent shot of one of my many lens caps:
(This is a lens cap from a Rexanon lens and has "PHOTAX REXAR" written on it.)
After one year I would have to say that "this stuff really floats my boat" :deadhorse:
So tomorrow is the the time to post the your favorite two bokehgraphs that you have taken since we started a year ago. And we need a simple message as to why these are your favorites. You need not post them at the same time - that may give us the constant change through the day that will make it more interesting.
. don't worry if you have just one - post it
. if you want to post three - we are easy going here
. if you have not yet posted, but have some bokehgraphs tucked away, now is the time to bring them out
Looking forward to tomorrow
Keith

Hi Keith and All,
Before I post a couple of previously posted bokehgraphs, I am pleased to join our Mentor Keith and post an image of one of many lens caps + a hood in my collection. I concur with our Mentor Keith, " ... After one year I would have to say that 'this stuff really floats my boat' ... " :)

Michiel Schierbeek

To start with I send this tulip from Amsterdam, to congratulate you, Keith, for setting up this wonderful thread and keeping it afloat.
And for all the enthousiastic bokeh people I met here.

A well known Amsterdam song;

Als de lente komt dan stuur ik jou tulpen uit Amsterdam
Als de lente komt pluk ik voor jou tulpen uit Amsterdam
Als ik wederkom dan breng ik jou tulpen uit Amsterdam
Duizend gele, duizend rooie, wensen jou het allermooiste
Wat m'n mond niet zeggen kan, zeggen tulpen uit Amsterdam

(a try to translate)
When spring arrives I'll send you tulips from Amsterdam
When spring arrives I'll pick for you tulips from Amsterdam
A thousand yellow, thousand red ones wish you the most beautiful
What I cannot say tell tulips from Amsterdam

- One Tulip -