The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

kds315

Is this the Kinoptik society, or what?
Gentlemen, these lenses are stunning! Well done. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

But I am not gonne buy one for the prices I see them passing by :cool:
There is a matter of fact I am not going to buy any lens at all. ( for a while :eek:)

Michiel
You found some great lenses at a really cheap price!! It doesn't need
a Kinoptik lens to take a great shot (it just helps...), I have seen many great
ones here ...

seakayaker

You seem to get vignetting Dan - did you take the sunshade off (it needs to be shortened!)?
Klaus, for all of my previous shots I did have the sunshade on the lens. On some shots there did appear to be vignetting, then on others it appeared clean to all four conners.

When you say it needs to be shortened, are you recommending cutting the sunshade in half?

I went out this afternoon and shot without the sunshade.

Cosmos

GF1 with Kinoptik Paris Apochromat 25mm f2 -- ISO 100 -- f2 -- 1/800

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Dan - this Cosmos flower always looks good in your images (always makes me think of Kramer, but I guess that would be Kosmos :rolleyes:)

The birthday celebration reminded of the abstracts that were done in the early part of the thread. These are 100% out of focus images. So, I tested the Kinoptik this morning on a fir tree.

It's important to forget all the rules when you process these. This one was done in Topaz (single bokehgraph with no textures or blending - I always feel it's important to say that, as I am amazed at the detail lurking in these OOF images)

Keith

seakayaker

Keith, it is a beautiful shot and does demonstrate the sharp detail contained in a bokehgraph. Also the shades of color work well for me in this shot, they are wonderful and pleasing to the eye. Love the lines, curves and circles seen this photo, including the little circular bokeh!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Keith, it is a beautiful shot and does demonstrate the sharp detail contained in a bokehgraph. Also the shades of color work well for me in this shot, they are wonderful and pleasing to the eye. Love the lines, curves and circles seen this photo, including the little circular bokeh!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)
Thanks Dan:

I had forgotton how much fun these abstracts are - it's tough to predict how they will turn out

Keith

kds315

Now sth very different, a 100 year old Meyer Goerlitz Schnellarbeiter (= quick worker) Atelier uncoated brass lens f3 135mm (Petzval type) and a still life shot fully open.

"Roses wilting" ... Autum is approaching...

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Great shots guys; Keith: that structured grass shot is amazing! Overlays?
It is a single image, Klaus, with no overlays. I used the "small details" preset in Topaz, but could have got the same result in LightRoom, I think.

The thing to do in these totally out of focus bokehgraphs is to process for the bokeh only. For instance, in Dan's "Anemones" just above you can see the same structure in the bokeh - but if he had used the same processing as I did in mine, his flower would have been a blob

Keith

seakayaker

Now sth very different, a 100 year old Meyer Goerlitz Schnellarbeiter (= quick worker) Atelier uncoated brass lens f3 135mm (Petzval type) and a still life shot fully open.

"Roses wilting" ... Autum is approaching...

. . . . . lovely shot . . . . .

I thought the old Leitz glass (1951, 1954, 1960/ I was using was pretty old.

They are young puppies next to the Meyer Goerlitz Schnellarbeiter!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

seakayaker

Thank you Louis, Michiel, Klaus, & Keith for you ongoing kind comments.

Autumn is fast approaching, and the flowers will soon be gone, for now I'll stick with them, soon it will be fall, then winter bokeh . . . . .

Malva ~ Mallow

GF1 with Kinoptik Paris Apochromat 25mm f2 -- ISO 100 -- f2.8 -- 1/125

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)