The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing your Bokeh

scott kirkpatrick

Elaborate on that "Three planes of focus, no double-lines" then please...
OK. The image in the front, the rose blossom and its branch, have nice definition and microcontrast. The layer of foliage just behind is sort of charcoal-sketched, without the "ni-sen" double lines that you often see in more strongly lit but OOF tangles of branches, bright on one side, dark on the other. And the building and sky behind are just a few bands of color. I tilted the building so that it just makes a horizon line.

Sometime the double lines can be nice, but more often they are just distracting.

scott

kds315

OK. The image in the front, the rose blossom and its branch, have nice definition and microcontrast. The layer of foliage just behind is sort of charcoal-sketched, without the "ni-sen" double lines that you often see in more strongly lit but OOF tangles of branches, bright on one side, dark on the other. And the building and sky behind are just a few bands of color. I tilted the building so that it just makes a horizon line.

Sometime the double lines can be nice, but more often they are just distracting.

scott
Thanks Scott, now even I get it... ;-)

Personally, I would have liked a bit more BG isolation, as the green around that wonderful rose distract me a bit.