The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 as a conference camera

pellicle

Hi

I was at a conference all this week and took my G1 + kit and a couple of legacy lenses along with me to take images. I thought I might share some of the experiences with other users here.

My legacy lenses were a Oly OM 100 f2.8 and a Canon FD 300 f4 (I was hoping for a 200mm f4 but it didn't get here in time so it was only the 300)

From 7 or 8 rows back I was able to get images like this:

with the 300 but needed quite high ISO (1600) in the typically dimmer light of conferences. If you don't like flash in this environment (I don't, and the ceiling was quite high for using bounce well) then it really shows the advantages to be had with cameras with much better high iso performance.

I used a small monopod and balanced off the chair between my legs to reduce camera shake.

The 100 proved nice and the f2.8 was an advantage in getting that little less shake or subject blur from animated movement.

But even the Kit lens was useful, especially with its stabilisation I could get sharp images in positions where I was holding the camera overhead ....

some folks there had 40D's and 5DmkII cameras which honestly felt and looked like obtrusive bricks after getting used to the G1.

People did not react nearly as much to my pulling out the G1 an using it from the hip (looking down at screen) as happened when people pulled out their black bricks.

If I was a working professional however I'd perhaps want to have the higher ISO of cameras like the 5DMkII or D700

V

Vivek

If I was a working professional however I'd perhaps want to have the higher ISO of cameras like the 5DMkII or D700
I would like a decent higher ISO performance and less shutter delay on a G2 or an EP-2 or an NX-1.

I am willing to forgo a pop-corn maker or a video-phone for that privilege.

pellicle

I would like a decent higher ISO performance and less shutter delay on a G2 or an EP-2 or an NX-1.

I am willing to forgo a pop-corn maker or a video-phone for that privilege.
but what about calendaring and WiFi to Flickr or Twitter ... not to mention a GPS (when it can get a signal) all critical things to todays photographer

V

Vivek

Some can be "applications" and others can be "optional" doodahs.

If it is going to be a camera first and anything else rest, that is the way I would expect it.

May be that is asking for too much?:rolleyes: