The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

lens quandry

pellicle

Folks

I'm after some help on a "problem" of having too many lenses, caused by having duplicates of OM and FD stuff.

Initially I started gathering a few FD lenses for use on my G1, then for a few reasons I thought that some OM lenses might be nice.

I liked the OM lenses so much that I thought I'd get some more. I also found that the OM lenses work very nicely on my EOS film body and being an IR black and white fan think that's great as they also have markings for that on them.

I was thinking of moving over to use the OM stuff (and sell the FD stuff), I bought a 100 f2.8 in the OM and really like it too.

For more strange reasons I bought a FD 200 f4 for a conference (for not much) and find that I really like the lens to use. I happen to also have 300f4 in the OM and the FD and find that I prefer the operation feel of the FD lens to the OM lens. Optically they are impossible to tell apart.

So this leaves me in the situation of having a two duplicate systems, a full lens shelf and wondering why?

To compound this more, RJ Camera tells me he will be releasing a TILT adaptor in FD and Nikon mount (leaving my OM out in the cold).

Since I can't use the FD on the EOS camera and prefer the optical characteristics of the shorter focal lengths in OM lens I find myself feeling like I can't part with either set.

I'm tempted to keep both FD and OM, but its slightly annoying that I need to take 2 sets of adaptors with me in the field (and I've been there with the wrong adaptor in the recent past a couple of times now).

Rationality says keep the FD because its practical but I prefer the OM optics on the G1 (on some lenses) and can't use the FD's on the film camera ....

thanks

PS:

FD 28, 50, 200, 300
OM 21, 50, 100, 300

the 21 on the 35mm film camera is beautiful ... but I also have the olympus 9-18mm to use on the G1 and it gives quite comparable image quality.

V

Vivek

Which version is your 21mm Olympus? I may be interested in that if you do not need it.

V

Vivek

Pellicle, All OM lenses are gems (I do not have any experience with FD lenses barring the use of one lens as a focus mount for an EL-Nikkor 63/3.5)!

I would say keep them. Many systems come and go but the OM lenses (aperture ring is in the front) can be used on any of them even after removing from the focus mount!

OTOH, I am missing the 21mm (have 24 and 28)..:ROTFL:

Want to trade for a 50/3.5 Zuiko Macro?

PeterB666

I wish I had your problem.

I like the OM lenses too and I can see the merit in the FD lenses but come from 30 years of Nikon use so am unlikely to be heading down that path.

I only have a handful of OM lenses, 28mm f/2.8 (my sweetest lens), 50mm f/1.4 & f/3.5 macro, and the 200 mm f/4. As well I have a Schneider 40mm f/1.9 which is another sweet lens. There is obviously a few gaps there but these are covered by my MFT lenses.

pellicle

Hi

Pellicle, All OM lenses are gems (I do not have any experience with FD lenses barring the use of one lens as a focus mount for an EL-Nikkor 63/3.5)!
that's about how I feel ... though in the longer focal lengths the mechanical design is a bit iffy ...

I would say keep them.
ya sold me ... I think I will ;-)

Want to trade for a 50/3.5 Zuiko Macro?
tempting offer, but no thanks :)

JBurnett

Too many lenses? Oh, c'mon. You're MISSING quite a number of focal lengths -- 24mm, 35mm, 85mm and 135mm for starters. :p

pellicle

Hi

Too many lenses? Oh, c'mon. You're MISSING quite a number of focal lengths -- 24mm, 35mm, 85mm and 135mm for starters. :p
yeah ... I _know_ ... what was I *thinking* :-D

dunno why, but back when I used 35mm I wanted exactly that range (and had them all apart from the 85mm ... but for some reason the thrill has gone :eek:

now all I want is a 100Megapixel double dark for my 4x5 camera

ohh ... and say a 300mm Mega OIS Panasonic or Olympus lens which does AF-S

hmm ... and what about ....

V

Vivek

at least you keep going in the same direction you started going ;-)
After expounding on the virtues of the OM lenses.

No wonder I can't sell anything that I accumulate.:eek:

Last edited:

Godfrey

... sell everything and buy an X1

one good lens,
one good sensor,
live within the limitations:
do more photography.

]'-)

Said in jest, yes, but honestly I don't know what anyone could advise you.

I have some duplication in my lens drawer too. When it bugs me, I sell stuff: whatever I've not used within a month or two goes.

It's that simple. For me, anyway. Cameras are just tools with which to do photography ... equipment is transient.

"Equipment often gets in the way of photography."