The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is This the First Micro Four Thirds Magazine Cover?

R

Ranger 9

Maybe not, but it's my first Micro Four Thirds magazine cover! (see attachment.)

Okay, it's just a regional membership magazine (for Joslyn Art Museum of Omaha, Nebraska) but hey, I'll take any brushes with fame I can get. Besides, it interested me that of the motley assortment of equipment I own, the Pana G1 and 14-45 lens turned out to be the best answer for doing what amounted to a batch of flat-copy photos.

I wrote a post about the process for my blog, but the basic constraints were these:

-- I was photographing about a dozen artworks of varying sizes;
-- We were working in a closed-off gallery, so the setup needed to be simple, portable, and quick to use;
-- The PR director wanted to see each photo after I shot it, so she would know what would be available for the magazine layout.

How the G1/14-45 combo wound up getting chosen:

-- A true macro lens would have been the obvious choice, but I don't own one;
-- The varying sizes of subjects meant a zoom would let me work faster;
-- The G1's articulating viewfinder would make it easy for the PR director to check each shot without my having to remove the camera from the tripod.

So I picked the G1 combo over my only other alternative, my old 24-70/2.8 Sigma on a Nikon D300 body... partly for the G1's articulated LCD and partly because I suspected the Pana 14-45 would do better than the Sigma in terms of sharpness and contrast.

Lacking a comparison test I can't say for sure that was correct, but I certainly didn't have any complaints about the final files. Several of the artworks had strong gridlike design elements, so I was pleasantly surprised at how well the 14-45 and post-processing software controlled linear distortions. I was impressed at the consistency of sharpness, too: in the original version of the attached file, the canvas texture is crisp and uniform from center to corners, which is not what we expected from zoom lenses in the bad old days!

So, I take this experience as yet another example showing that the G1 is a legitimately serious camera, and the 14-45 is several cuts above the typical "kit lens." Of course we already have plenty of evidence of this, but I figure another example never hurts...

JBurnett

Congratulations and thank you for sharing. Before choosing the G1 I was really anxious about the IQ -- would it be OK? would I regret moving to 4/3 from APS-C? 5 months later, I have ZERO regrets and a lot of respect for this little gem.

V

Vivek

Okay, it's just a regional membership magazine (for Joslyn Art Museum of Omaha, Nebraska) ..
To me that seems way better than any dinky screen display with "LUMIX" raining down on your image!

Congratulations!:):thumbs:

pellicle

Hi

So I picked the G1 combo over my only other alternative, my old 24-70/2.8 Sigma on a Nikon D300 body... partly for the G1's articulated LCD and partly because I suspected the Pana 14-45 would do better than the Sigma in terms of sharpness and contrast.

Lacking a comparison test I can't say for sure that was correct, but
.. but I do not think you'd have had much better images from many / any other lenses especially considering:
* you probably stopped down a little anyway and the gap between lenses of any persuasion closes when you stop down a little
* the G1 does some image corrections in camera with the RAW data

I don't have any lens within the focal range of the 14-45 that clearly outperforms it (though I do like my OM 50 all the same :)

So its good to hear that you had success with "the standard outfit"

m3photo

Re: G1 + Kit Lens Quality

Before choosing the G1 I was really anxious about the IQ -- would it be OK? would I regret moving to 4/3 from APS-C? 5 months later, I have ZERO regrets and a lot of respect for this little gem.
Totally agree. I moved from full-frame Canons. The kit lens on this camera never ceases to amaze me - what makes me laugh (and I'm a culprit too, fitting my Nikkors and C/V Nokton and Pentax 110's and Tevidon on it) is the never ending quest for image quality with other lenses when the original 14-45 does it perfectly every time!
OK, I know it's not fast but at f/8 it's extremely hard to beat.

R

Ranger 9

His is cooler than mine, and it's interesting that he shot it between videos using the same camera! (GH1) Maybe there's something to this "convergence" thing after all...