The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the GF1

nostatic

I would LOVE to see the same shot taken with the LX3 and the GF1 side by side.
I've shot the DLux4 and G1 back to back. They are as you'd expect - the small sensor has trouble when the iso climbs. Physics generally wins. I'd be interested to see if there is any difference between the G1 and GF1 wrt iq. I'm personally a little less interested due to the lack of IS with the 20mm. I've been shooting the 5D2 coming from the Pentax and I can tell a big difference between IS and non-IS lenses in low light.

My heart still says X1. Not sure my credit card does though.

pellicle

Now this guy is clearly having fun with his camera!

Simon, it might be bigger than you were expecting, but its a case of "just right" (looking at it) for me ...

Brian Mosley

It's here!

The brown truck didn't get here till 5:20 PM, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to post a photo from the GF1.
Congratulations Cindy! how did you carry your G1? will the GF1 fit in a smaller purse? will you carry both, or decide on one to take?

Thanks for sharing, I'll look forward to seeing your first shots :thumbup:

Cheers

Brian

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Congratulations Cindy! how did you carry your G1? will the GF1 fit in a smaller purse? will you carry both, or decide on one to take?

Thanks for sharing, I'll look forward to seeing your first shots :thumbup:

Cheers

Brian
Brian, I have a little A+A lined, zippered bag that I put into my purse. The GF1 will fit in there better than the G1. It is not as bulky. I won't carry both in my purse, but I'm not giving up the G1, yet.
I usually have a camera bag with me during the day, too. I have each of my bodies set-up in a bag with their accessories. I can just grab a couple of lenses and go.

Hi

out of interest, what are you attaching to the camera with the velcro?
Pellicle, I have a flash diffuser by Joe Demb that I hook on there when I want to use a little flash--or in emergency, the onboard flash.

Cindy, could you show apic of the 20/1.7 with its hood? Thanks.
Vivek, There is no dedicated hood that comes with the 20 f/1.7. I have a screw-in, vented hood that I bought from Heavy-star on Ebay. It looks like it wil work. I may look for a smaller, non-vented screw-in hood w/cap.

Diane B

Thanks, Terry. That one looks perfect.
I've had that one in my 'watch' list I like his hoods--have them for my FD and Hexanon lenses--and even bought the teeny tiny hood for the 17 f/2.8 after Vivek mentioned it. Its just sort of silly--looking and using. This will be a lot more practical.

Cindy, I am going to order the screen protector. I gather from the site that they are generically sized and perhaps you have to cut them to fit. I thought I had one left over from my old PDA but couldn't find it--and suspect the newer one may be better for using the LCD anyhow.

Speaking again to Cindy--I notice you have Gordy's wrist strap on--same one I have. Has yours ever softened up a bit? I ended up taking mine off the G1 and putting an old--maybe Optech--one on--but I do like the looks of the black/red Gordy's on the GF1.
Ah--maybe it isn't a Gordy's--looks as though it has red stitching on the black wrist section--if not, mind sharing whose it is and if its reasonably soft?

Diane

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Diane, Once you hit the buy button on the screenpatronus site, there will be a window to enter your make and model. I don't always have the correct model on hand and sometimes cut them, but hopefully if you order for GF1, it will be correct.

The strap pictured on my GF1 is a Gordy strap that I've had for several years. It has softened up over time. I still like the strap that I have on the G1 the best. It is from Luigi. I have his neck straps on my M's and DSLR, too. They are soft and wonderful from the get-go.

monza

I tried a couple of Gordy's but it was like wearing handcuffs. Well, at least what I *think* wearing handcuffs would be like. :) Very rough leather, wrist skin was not pleased.

V

Vivek

LOL, according to Andy over on dpreview it doesn't need one... flare retardant! :clap:

Cheers

Brian
Quite amazing how the same words are read and understood by different eyes (from dp review)

Shooting directly towards the sun on a very bright day, and there's little evidence of any significant image degradation from flare (although the E-P1 has, left to its own devices, somewhat overexposed the shot). Normally we're concerned when a lens isn't supplied with a hood, but in this case it doesn't seem to be a major cause for complaint.
That does not sound an emphatic flare "retardent" to me. The hood won't help when shooting directly into the Sun. It is more effective on an overcast day, at least for me, under the conditions I often use a lens.

Cindy, I think Godfrey mentioned that this lens is supplied with (or Pana made one) a hood. That is why I asked.

Diane B

Cindy, I think Godfrey mentioned that this lens is supplied with (or Pana made one) a hood. That is why I asked.
Vivek,

On the Panasonic site it did specifically state that the 20 f/1.7 has a hood included. Whether it has been corrected there or not I don't know--but I read exactly the same thing. Its appears to be a mistake.

Diane

simonclivehughes

Simon, I will stick with the G1, too. I'm planning for the GF-1 to be the body that I carry with me all the time in my purse. I'll probably keep the 20mm or the 40mm Pen-F on it.
Ditto. 20mm is a great focal length for me. I expect that lens to live on the camera.
Cindy & Terry,

Glad that you're happy with the cam. I've kind of surprised myself with this one... normally I'd be all over it and probably have one by now too. I am just so completely content with the G1 and GH1 that this cam hasn't really "called" to me.

I have been anticipating the 20mm f1.7 since it was announced too. But now, although I'd dearly love to have it for its speed, I'm balking at the lack of DOF/focus marking endemic to these Panny lenses. I love to set for hyperfocal and just shoot, and that is just too difficult without any DOF markings (and, yes, I know it can be done, but I don't care for the method). I know it's just not possible for these fly-by-wire lenses, but I still miss it.

I guess it's likely I may end up with the 20 sometime in the future, but for now I'm content to sit this one out.

Terry, as to your remark that the 20 will "live" on the GF1, it reminds me of the DP1 or GRII I had. Yes, different focal length, but similar fixed aperture, but I still didn't use either as much as I thought I might. As much as I love the IQ of primes, I love the flexibility of zooms! Of course rarely do the capabilities of each coincide (unless you want to carry around a lead weight). :)

I'll look forward to seeing some pictures with the 20mm/GF1 from both of you.

Cheers,

V

Vivek

Vivek,

On the Panasonic site it did specifically state that the 20 f/1.7 has a hood included. Whether it has been corrected there or not I don't know--but I read exactly the same thing. Its appears to be a mistake.

Diane
Thanks, Diane. That clarifies it.

FWIW, On none of the 25mm lenses that I use (Computar-TV 25/1.3, Fujinon-TV 25/1.4, Angenieux 25/0.95, Senko/Navitar 25/0.95, Som-Berthiot 25/0.95,.....) I use a hood because it is impossible (vignette, etc). With the exception of the Fujinon-TV 25/1.4, most of the lenses are not bothered much by most types of flare when used on a G1. None of them are flare retardant either.

Only the 25/2.8 Pen F lens allows for a hood and it does help with the image clarity there.

Diane B

I tried a couple of Gordy's but it was like wearing handcuffs. Well, at least what I *think* wearing handcuffs would be like. :) Very rough leather, wrist skin was not pleased.
Monza,

Curious what you have on your small cams. I have at least 3 wrist straps (of this type) around plus I use the E-1 or whatever it is on the 5D--and I have an old Camdaptor with wrist strap (these last 2 are really hand/wrist straps) that I like for one of the other Canon bodies. Sometimes I think I'd like something more similar to these on the G1 when carrying it in hand, but maybe its overkill for the G1--esp. for GF1 I guess LOL.

Diane

Godfrey

Yup. From reports of others who've received their 20mm standalone, no hood. PITA, but there are plenty of lens hood options available.