The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the GF1

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
This wouldn't help people on most forums, but there might be some here that could benefit, since lots of us like unusual lenses! So...

... The 20/1.7 has a 46mm filter size, right? Kind of an oddball size by most standards, but it happens to be the same as used by the rangefinder Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens in 39mm screw mount, one of the best 50/1.4s of the early '60s.

So, if you've got a Canon 50/1.4 squirreled away (or have been using one with an LTM>M adapter and M>µ4/3 adapter on your µ4/3 camera) all your Canon lens's hoods and filters should fit the new Panasonic 20/1.7 lens!
Ranger, The Leica 50 f/1.4 Summilux and Voigtlander 28 f/1.9 use the 46mm filter, too.

monza

The Canon 50/1.4 uses a 48mm actually.

Contax G lenses all use 46mm filter size except for the 21mm wide angle. There are several nice hoods for G lenses on the bay that would probably work for the 20mm Panasonic.

m_driscoll

Re: Having fun with the GF1 (EV Comp?)

My GF1 came this morning. I believe I had four separate orders placed for different configurations. It appears to be a "crap shoot" as to who gets what. Fortunately, they all didn't ship at once. Mine was with the 14-45mm lens; which I wanted anyway, after using it on the G1. The 20mm's on order along with the EVF.

Again, apologies to TEBnewyork; but, I started another thread for GF1 photos. Hopefully it will be like the like the B & W pics thread: no equipment discussion; more pictures. Don't take it wrong, this thread is very informative, and I'm seeking information.

I'm experiencing a weird issue with my GF1 that doesn't happen on the GH1. While in Aperture Priority mode and I'm adjusting the aperture, the shutter speed will change (OK) and the EV will change also (+/- Not OK!). Did I miss something in the manual (thumbed through it)? It doesn't happen every time! There seems to be some quirky little differences between this camera and the GH1. For instance, I'd like to figure out how to set the aperture, shutter and EV comp in manual mode; but, I can't figure out how to control the EV?

It's still fun. Cheers. Here's our cat. She loves having her picture taken (not). 45mm; 1/250s @ f/5.6; ISO 640.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/

Rawfa

This photo has A LOT of noise for iso 640! The E-P1 doesn't show this kind of noise even at iso 1000.

Rawfa

Oh, that was crop!!! Ouff! What a relief. I have sold my E-P1 last week and I'm getting the GF1 and that crop scared the heck out of me. The full image you've just posted is absolutely acceptable.

Diane B

Re: Having fun with the GF1 (EV Comp?)

I'm experiencing a weird issue with my GF1 that doesn't happen on the GH1. While in Aperture Priority mode and I'm adjusting the aperture, the shutter speed will change (OK) and the EV will change also (+/- Not OK!). Did I miss something in the manual (thumbed through it)? It doesn't happen every time! There seems to be some quirky little differences between this camera and the GH1. For instance, I'd like to figure out how to set the aperture, shutter and EV comp in manual mode; but, I can't figure out how to control the EV?

[
I'm not sure I understand. You are saying when you set the aperture, the shutter changes as you move about within the scene (expected) but the EV also changes? I can't repeat that in any way on my GF1. You change the EV via the dial--is the EV highlighted in yellow?? When it is (as the G1--assume the GH1) this is the only time you can change the EV. Its actually not nearly as easy as with the G1/GH1 to change the EV inadvertently as some (me included) would do when handcarrying the camera--the hand/finger brushing the front dial. Now--it is much less easily changed--and the only way I can think of as changing it (you can change it from within the Qmenu also--but you still have to use the dial).

Using manual you do not use the EV. You change the exposure by changing the aperture and the shutter in tandem or alone. The camera doesn't select anything--IOW--when you select an aperture, you then select a shutter speed and that determines the exposure. By default the camera will be at ISO100, so you manually select each of the 3 settings for the exposure and DOF you wish (watching your exposure meter if you have that 'on' through menu and the +/_ to the right of the aperture/shutter to determine the exposure=plus histo).

Ah, just saw above post saying you had figured out your EV issue. Curious what it was.

Diane

m_driscoll

Rawfa: Didn't make me mad. I agree that there's noise at higher ISO's. I don't know if the RAW conversion in ACR is optimized for the Panasonic files. Above ISO 800, I might, or might not, run it through Nik Define 2.0. Depends on where I'm going with the photo. By the way, I really enjoyed your series of Budapest photos. What did you do in post-processing. They have an attractive "HDR" look without going over the top.

Two things I wish the GF1 (and GH1) had:
1. a "minimum" shutter speed setting
2. the ability to set EV comp w/o changing the shutter speed

Cheers,

Diane B

Two things I wish the GF1 (and GH1) had:
1. a "minimum" shutter speed setting
2. the ability to set EV comp w/o changing the shutter speed

Cheers,

[
Basically, EV is the means to alter the exposure in A and S. In aperture priority, it controls the shutter speed. In shutter priority it controls the aperture. That's why there is no EV in manual--you control both of the settings.

m_driscoll

Basically, EV is the means to alter the exposure in A and S. In aperture priority, it controls the shutter speed. In shutter priority it controls the aperture. That's why there is no EV in manual--you control both of the settings.
Diane, Thanks. That's true for these two cameras. But, on my D700 and on my M8, it can be set independently at a fixed setting in manual mode. It's useful to keep the shutter speed up as it gets dark and the lens is already wide open. Cheers.

Diane B

So, is it setting ISO?? If the aperture and shutter remain the same, what is influencing the exposure?? Is not only the 2 Panny's, but is true of all my Canons--I shoot primarily with a 5D. I can certainly alter the exposure with the ISO in manual--as you can with the Panny's--but the default is 100 so you must set it manually--that will work, so rather than use EC--just jump to ISO and work from there maintaining your settings but improving the exposure (histo) with increased ISO.

Last edited:

Terry

Okie Dokie,
I made it out shooting with a group of Pentaxians today....very nice bunch and not a worry in the world for those of us not shooting Pentax!

My kit:
GF1, 20mm, 14-140mm, 7-14mm

Great Extreme travel kit for light and fast.

The weather....well we knew it was going to be windy and the predictions were correct. I asked the park ranger on a scale of 1-10 how would he rate the wind. Answer: 8. In some locations it was actually very difficult to even hold the camera steady. These were taken at Fort Point which is an old 1800's fort just at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Love the camera. The controls are better laid out than the G1/GH1. No issues at all with the screen (but I wasn't in the worst possible light). AF is super fast unless you are in a really really dark spot with the 20mm and then it slows a bit. When I say the AF is fast, I mean you don't really have to half press and wait. As soon as you get to the halfway point on the shutter, you have focus and can continue. Both of the zooms feel great on the GF1 body. For the zooms you essentially are holding the camera with your left hand under the lens. No issues at all with the LCD. As soon as I post this, I will think up more stuff. I am going to go out shooting tomorrow but the winds are expected to continue making a coastal trip problematic.

I think Lightroom has some issues with either these RAW files or my version of Leopard. I didn't upgrade this last machine yet. I was having trouble with the adjustment brush.

Here goes....nothing here that I would say WOW what a keeper....

A few more in the next post....

Terry

Lots going on in the city this weekend including a three day breast cancer walk.

Not sure if this is considered reserving a tent or personalizing one

I set up C1 (custom setting not Capture 1) for dynamic B&W jpegs (+RAW). I like Panny's B&W jpegs.... from dinner after shooting. All with he 20mm. Slight crop and resize no additional PP on these.

Godfrey

Met up with Terry today and had some time to evaluate the GF1. Since I arrived home, I've imported the photos I made today to Lightroom* and been looking at the results with the 20/1.7 lens, used on both my G1 and her GF1.

* I converted the files to DNG and with DNG-C 5.5 and loaded them into LR2.4 running on Leopard, Terry. No problems that I can see.
Of course, a few dozen frames and an hour or so in total mucking around with it is hardly enough to make a formal review of credible merit. But suffice it to say:

- The Lumix G 20mm f/1.7 is a very impressive lens.

- The Panasonic GF1 works as well or better than I expected, visualizing it based on looking at the photos of it. The handling is the best I've seen in a small camera, someone put a lot of time in the design of button placements and such.

- I found only one niggle: the drive mode selector lever is smaller than I'd like.

Yes, this is almost exactly the compact digital camera I've been waiting for. (I don't need anything smaller.) I'll be delighted with it when I buy one.

Terry, thanks for letting me have some hands on time with the GF1. I'll take some time to process what I made with it tomorrow ... it took me a good bit of time to get out of the city and I'm exhausted. Too much going on there today... !

m_driscoll

So, is it setting ISO?? If the aperture and shutter remain the same, what is influencing the exposure?? Is not only the 2 Panny's, but is true of all my Canons--I shoot primarily with a 5D. I can certainly alter the exposure with the ISO in manual--as you can with the Panny's--but the default is 100 so you must set it manually--that will work, so rather than use EC--just jump to ISO and work from there maintaining your settings but improving the exposure (histo) with increased ISO.
Yes, it's affecting the ISO. It doesn't doesn't "change" the number, just modifies the results +/-. That's a good point about just changing the ISO. Results should be the same. Cheers.

Terry

Godfrey,
I crashed asleep early but now a 4AM I'm wide awake. I'm running LR 2.5. When I went to use the adjustment brush I was getting something really strange. It was like a big block (square) of changed exposure when I would use the mouse to brush over an area. In addition, the preview colors on the imports was looking much better than the final import after rendering. I have to sort this out today. I may reload the files on a second Laptop that has now Leopard and 2.5 to see whats happening.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Terry, I love #2 with the dirty windows and the bridge. That is a view of the bridge that I've not seen before. It is nice to see you and Godfrey out and about--using the camera in the real world.
Terry and Godfrey, I put my GF1 photos through the most recent Camera Raw/CS4 (I do have Snow Leopard). I don't make them dngs. I have no issues.