The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the GF1

Godfrey

0ther than the privileged ... has any one been able to receive the GH1, or LX3 in the USA?

I'm confused, introduce new cameras, when they can't even deliver existing models... what kind of business model is that?
Plenty of people have received their GH1s now, and the GF1s are being delivered as we speak.

Diane B

Yes, quite a lot of people have received their GF1's now. I just read a post that someone in Pgh, PA has a tracking number from a warehouse in NJ. That supports what Panasonic.com told Terry a week or so ago when she checked--that they were going to be shipped from different warehouses. I would bet that retailers will start seeing them next week also as they get delivered to them from the west coast (guessing they came in there first).

Diane

nostatic

That noctilux video is stunning. Totally new use for the nocti.
You mean yet another bunch of scenic rack focus shots?

I swear if I see another rack focus I can't be held accountable for my actions - especially if it is set to a pop song soundtrack :deadhorse:

W

wblynch

...I did put it onto single focus point AF. I don't like the camera picking the focus point.:ROTFL:
Cindy,

I have always hated auto-focus and have used single-point on all my AF cameras.

But now I use my G1 in multi-point focus mode and I have noticed that if I don't like the chosen points, I 'refocus' and it selects a different set. No more that 3 tries will get me what I want and very quickly.

--By the way, I love the shadow capture in the covered bridge. Nice picture and impressive quality.

-Bill L.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I went to a Civil War re-enactment today. I took the GF1, G1, M8 and M4-P. The G1 had the 45-200 lens on it and did most of the work. I needed the reach for the actual battle scenes. The GF1 was used for close-ups. About half of the GF1 shots were made with the 20 f/1.7 and half with the vintage Pen-F 60 f/1.5. Sadly, M8 and M4-
P saw little use. The following are all with the GF1.

60 f/1.5

20 f/1.8

60 f/1.5

Last edited:

Terry

Cindy,
These all look good! Love the sweet looking woman sitting right next to the guns LOL.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks, Terry. It was quite an event. I have a ton of pictures from the G1 to go through yet.
I was going to sell the 60 f/1.5, but I loved it on the GF1 and will keep it. My Pen-F 40 f/1.4 is being calibrated. I can't wait to get it back and try it on the GF1.

Terry

Thanks, Terry. It was quite an event. I have a ton of pictures from the G1 to go through yet.
I was going to sell the 60 f/1.5, but I loved it on the GF1 and will keep it. My Pen-F 40 f/1.4 is being calibrated. I can't wait to get it back and try it on the GF1.
Gives me hope for the 50 lux and 75 cron.

monza

Cindy, yes that 60 looks like a keeper, glad you decided to hang onto it.

I'll be looking at the 40 tomorrow.

Terry

OK, I've arrived home....camera(s :D ) waiting.

Initial thoughts. Setting up now to do some testing.

Initial impressions:
vs G1/GH1 - I like the GF1 button layout better. The quick menu is now in a much better spot. I shoot raw so the film mode button wasn't ever really used. The command wheel on the back will take some getting used to. I was excited for it on the back but it doesn't stick out as much as the one on the front so it feels like more of a thumb movement to change the aperture than the front one. I didn't have a problem with the front one (some people complain that they inadvertently change settings). Everything else is the same and if you've used Panasonic before it will take you no time at all to set up the menus and get it all as you want it.

vs. E-P1 while the dimensions are really that much different the GF1 feels smaller. I wish the vertical scroll on the E-P1 were on the GF1 but with the push function of the G-F1.

I am going to take some videos of the screens, focusing etc. If I can get it done tonight I will. Have to go out of town in the AM.

Not sure I'm happy with my white balance here and I hadn't set up the camera properly but....20mm @ f.17 1/3200 ISO 100

Diane B

Ah, glad to hear you like the button layout. That was one thing I suspect I will like more. The 20 looks good, doesn't it?? I looked at the EXIF and saw that this was at f/1.7---very nice at this size.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about it.

Diane

simonclivehughes

Well, you guys have got me convinced, I've ordered a GF1/20mm kit plus the EVF from Bill Wilby at Contact Photo Arts. (Bill's a great guy and it makes the most sense for me here in Canada). I've also ordered a CV 50mm f1.5 Nokton (I already still have a couple of M-to-M4/3 adapters). I've had this lens before for both R-D1 and M8 cameras and just loved it. Should be a nice small kit with 40mm and 100mm equivalents ranges for low light work.

Now I just have to wait for it all to arrive!

Cheers,

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Well, you guys have got me convinced, I've ordered a GF1/20mm kit plus the EVF from Bill Wilby at Contact Photo Arts. (Bill's a great guy and it makes the most sense for me here in Canada). I've also ordered a CV 50mm f1.5 Nokton (I already still have a couple of M-to-M4/3 adapters). I've had this lens before for both R-D1 and M8 cameras and just loved it. Should be a nice small kit with 40mm and 100mm equivalents ranges for low light work.

Now I just have to wait for it all to arrive!

Cheers,
Simon,
I know that you will enjoy the GF1. I have had the Nokton 50 f/1.5 on my M5 and M8 and it is a lovely lens. The 20 f/1.7 is sweet, too.

Diane B

My GF1/20 is in hand. First impression is that it 'seems' smaller than it really is (in comparison with my G1).

Everything set up easily, shot with 20, 17, 14-45 and had my FD 35 f/2.8 on adaptor so tried that. MF is not difficult--if the light is right to see. That will continue to be my bugaboo, but I do know the EVF is coming. In shadow or protective place to shoot from or interior--the cat's meow as they say. I put my CV 35mm finder on and its good with that for 20 and 17--but focusing is harder to do unless stopped down. I tried various methods and can work it out, but not the best solution IMO. I'll be glad when I have the EVF in hand--knowing its not anywhere near G1's quality, but that's okay--when I need the very good one for very low light, etc.--I'll carry the G1.

All in all, looks like a keeper. I need to shoot with it this week and see, but for what I want it for (smaller to carry with one or 2 small lenses, second body, casual videoing, more discreet)--I think it will work just fine.

simonclivehughes

Congrats Cindy, I'll be interested to hear more as you use it. Can't wait to get mine and try it out. I just got my CV 50mm f1.5 Nokton this morning, so I'm itching to try it. For now, it will have to live on my G1 or GH1.

Ciao,

kdemas

The friendly UPS man just dropped off my new GF1 about an hour ago and I quickly unpacked it. Being a happy G1 owner I'm excited to see what this little fella can do.

Initial impressions, before tripping the shutter for frame 1:

PROs:
- Fit and finish, in general, above average.
- Autofocus seems a bit snappier than my G1.
- 20MM lens is nice and compact.
- Rear screen looks terrific.
- Menu system is slightly different from G1 but nice, almost everything available through "always on" menus.

CONs:
- I wish the 20mm lens was black. Oh yeah... and an included hood would be nice.
- G1 is much more ergonomic... keeping mine. GF1 reminds me a bit of my DP1 in hand (eeeek!)
- Rear wheel on the GF1 feels VERY cheap to me, a real downgrade from the G1. This was my only real annoyance at first blush.

All that said I am really looking forward to shooting the camera tomorrow and seeing what it's like in the real world. Hopefully I'll be as pleased with it as I am my G1.

Kent

R

Ranger 9

CONs:
- I wish the 20mm lens was black. Oh yeah... and an included hood would be nice.
This wouldn't help people on most forums, but there might be some here that could benefit, since lots of us like unusual lenses! So...

... The 20/1.7 has a 46mm filter size, right? Kind of an oddball size by most standards, but it happens to be the same as used by the rangefinder Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens in 39mm screw mount, one of the best 50/1.4s of the early '60s.

So, if you've got a Canon 50/1.4 squirreled away (or have been using one with an LTM>M adapter and M>µ4/3 adapter on your µ4/3 camera) all your Canon lens's hoods and filters should fit the new Panasonic 20/1.7 lens!