The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the GF1

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Terry the quality of files look pretty nice and looks like i just have to get one. Jack, Bob and Terry will have one each that I know of on the workshop but I am really feeling left out here.:cry:

Godfrey

... I'm running LR 2.5. When I went to use the adjustment brush I was getting something really strange. It was like a big block (square) of changed exposure when I would use the mouse to brush over an area. In addition, the preview colors on the imports was looking much better than the final import after rendering. I have to sort this out today. I may reload the files on a second Laptop that has now Leopard and 2.5 to see whats happening.
My computers are still Apple PowerPC models (yeah yeah, it's time to update the hardware, just waiting for my ship to come in ... ;-) where ACR5.5/LR2.5 has a horrid rendering bug. Adobe has recommended using LR2.4 until they release a new v2.5.x revision for PowerPC systems. And similarly, Snow Leopard only runs on Apple-Intel hardware so I'm locked into Leopard for the duration.

I crashed out shortly after I typed that last night and didn't really push things around too much in Lightroom 2.4. I'm off for my morning walk now, I'll play with the photos a bit later.

Diane B

Terry, I love #2 with the dirty windows and the bridge. That is a view of the bridge that I've not seen before. It is nice to see you and Godfrey out and about--using the camera in the real world.
The bridge through the dirty windwo was one of my favorites also. It was nice to see Godfrey's face again :)

Terry

The bridge through the dirty windwo was one of my favorites also. It was nice to see Godfrey's face again :)
When we met back up after shooting the Fort on our own I said to Godfrey that I got one keeper "favorite" shot of the day. The window was the one I showed him. :D

Godfrey

LOL ...

GF1 on tripod, my face is about 3.5 feet from camera, back wall about 6 feet.

Self-Portrait - Fort Point, San Francisco 2009
Panasonic GF1 + G 20mm f/1.7
ISO 500 @ f/1.7 @ 1/30 second, manual focus
about 10% cropped from width and heighth.

and a detail snip at 1:1:

And yes, I think that window that Terry caught is one of the day's real prizes. :)

Diane B

LOL ...

GF1 on tripod, my face is about 3.5 feet from camera, back wall about 6 feet.

Self-Portrait - Fort Point, San Francisco 2009
Panasonic GF1 + G 20mm f/1.7
ISO 500 @ f/1.7 @ 1/30 second, manual focus
about 10% cropped from width and heighth.

and a detail snip at 1:1:

And yes, I think that window that Terry caught is one of the day's real prizes. :)
That's fun---good to see you smiling LOL. The lens did a good job too.

Diane

Terry

Today's effort.... a rather large pano from Twin Peaks taken with the 14-140

crop this is probably a mile or two away.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Terry,
This is just beautiful. I have been going back and forth across the pano. You should be proud of this.
I have to ask if you had the GF1 on the cube?:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Diane B

Beautiful Terry--and gosh, it sure stitched perfectly--alignment must have been right on. So much to see--so much detail to absorb. What fun it would be to see in a big print and spend time in front of it just taking it in. Forgot to ask--how many shots???

Terry

Terry,
This is just beautiful. I have been going back and forth across the pano. You should be proud of this.
I have to ask if you had the GF1 on the cube?:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Well the joke is on me. I had a tripod (my traveler) and a plate with me. I forgot a wrench to attach the plate and make it functional :rolleyes:. Pano was handheld.

Terry

Beautiful Terry--and gosh, it sure stitched perfectly--alignment must have been right on. So much to see--so much detail to absorb. What fun it would be to see in a big print and spend time in front of it just taking it in. Forgot to ask--how many shots???

Jack taught us good handheld technique at a workshop and LR/CS4 make it easy. You simply select the shots (after you have synched the processing) and it is essentially automatic. It was 7 shots.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack taught us good handheld technique at a workshop and LR/CS4 make it easy. You simply select the shots (after you have synched the processing) and it is essentially automatic.
Glad at least somebody was paying attention! GREAT pano Terry!

PS: I can see your house! :ROTFL:

R

Ranger 9

The Canon 50/1.4 uses a 48mm actually.

Contax G lenses all use 46mm filter size except for the 21mm wide angle. There are several nice hoods for G lenses on the bay that would probably work for the 20mm Panasonic.
You're right, of course. I knew there had to be a reason I had all those 46-49 adapter rings...

R

Ranger 9

Godfrey,
I'm running LR 2.5. When I went to use the adjustment brush I was getting something really strange. It was like a big block (square) of changed exposure when I would use the mouse to brush over an area. In addition, the preview colors on the imports was looking much better than the final import after rendering. I have to sort this out today. I may reload the files on a second Laptop that has now Leopard and 2.5 to see whats happening.
If you're still using Macs with PowerPC processors (G4, G5) rather than ones with Intel processors, there is a huge issue with Lightroom 2.5 involving "maze artifacts" around highlight areas. (I believe the newest versions of Camera Raw and DNG Converter.) Bug reports have been filed with Adobe and they've acknowledged being aware of the issue.

For now the only workaround is to backdate to Lightroom 2.4 and re-render your previews (original files are unaffected, fortuntely.)

This isn't the same as your issue, of course, but I think it shows that their latest code isn't PowerPC-friendly, and that could cause other symptoms as well.

If your Mac has an Intel processor, then ignore everything I just said...

Terry

If you're still using Macs with PowerPC processors (G4, G5) rather than ones with Intel processors, there is a huge issue with Lightroom 2.5 involving "maze artifacts" around highlight areas. (I believe the newest versions of Camera Raw and DNG Converter.) Bug reports have been filed with Adobe and they've acknowledged being aware of the issue.

For now the only workaround is to backdate to Lightroom 2.4 and re-render your previews (original files are unaffected, fortuntely.)

This isn't the same as your issue, of course, but I think it shows that their latest code isn't PowerPC-friendly, and that could cause other symptoms as well.

If your Mac has an Intel processor, then ignore everything I just said...
Ignored :D:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

The Panos wouldn't work because I didn't have camera raw 5.5 which handles GF1 raws but that is strange since I was in LR and sending the files to PS for the merge and didn't realize it would need Camera Raw for that.

The original adjustment brush issues seems to have solved itself in a LR restart.

The last issue is with xrite and their new profile generator (xrite Passport). It is not recognizing any color charts shot with the GF1. I thought again I had it fixed with a Camera Raw update (on a different laptop), but no still can't get it to recognize the file.

Godfrey

Ignored :D:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

The Panos wouldn't work because I didn't have camera raw 5.5 which handles GF1 raws but that is strange since I was in LR and sending the files to PS for the merge and didn't realize it would need Camera Raw for that.

The original adjustment brush issues seems to have solved itself in a LR restart.

The last issue is with xrite and their new profile generator (xrite Passport). It is not recognizing any color charts shot with the GF1. I thought again I had it fixed with a Camera Raw update (on a different laptop), but no still can't get it to recognize the file.
With CS3/CS4, Lightroom will pass the original RAW file and editing instructions to Camera Raw once you choose "Edit in Photoshop". I believe there's a way to alter this and have it pass TIFF files, but I don't know if this is compatible with the panorama stitching function in later versions of PS ... I use CS2 (still) which doesn't have this option or the stitching functions.

I don't know if it works the say way the DNG Profile Editor does, but with the latter you have to convert the file to DNG with the option for compatibility set to Camera Raw pre-v5.4 versions ... this creates a DNG spec v1.2 file, rather than the later v1.3 file.

I haven't seen the xrite software or what it does, how it interacts with LR, so I'm not sure what it might be doing.

Diane B

I didn't get out and shoot anywhere all that interesting but, paying attention found a few to shoot around the farm with the 20 f/1.7 and GF1. This may be my favorite

Persimmons f/1.8 1/320s ISO100

A few more
Skewered f/2.8 1/125s ISO100

Saw this at a building site f/2.5 1/1000s ISO100

A few more here http://www.pbase.com/picnic/temp_g1

Diane

Last edited:

wjlapier

Terry, that pano is great. I haven't seen that view in 20 years. I used to work for the Hilton--skinny tower in front of the BofA tower.