The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the GF1

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well you guy's dragged me into ordering one too. Admittedly a little to hard to resist. I promise I won't drive you nuts:D

Terry

Diane the colors and detail look great on these shots. It makes me realize I need a dose of countryside...too much asphalt the past few weeks.

Diane B

Well, welcome aboard Guy. We're taking the 'warning' seriously.

Thanks folks. I need some asphalt Terry LOL---looking forward to some urban shooting with the GF1 (whew--can't we find a 'nickname' for the thing--this one is awkward to type).

I should have mentioned shot in RAW and all processing (except running my frame action) in LR.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea i can just hear the girls club rattling on about this one. Well it's ordered but backordered and not exactly happy about that. Hopefully I will get it in time for the workshop.

slosync

Just got mine this Monday afternoon. Between charging the battery, reading a little of the manual and dressing it up there was little time left to get out to take any pictures outside. I played around with the GF1/20mm taking pictures of my granddaughter while trying out the camera strap around my neck. I think it carries well and I can comfortably hold the camera out in front to take pictures using the LCD.

Below you see the dressed out GF1 with a Gordy leather camera strap from my G9 (now sold) plus a half case and the G1 sports a leather wrist strap. :) A new black leather wrist strap is on it's way from Luigi. I also ordered a couple hooks from Leicagoodies to make switching between straps easier. :D

Link to larger image above if interested: http://www.digitaldiamondphotography.com/pics/2009-10-05G1-GF1-2.JPG

Here's a picture of my Granddaughter Lily. :D:D - GF1, 20mm f/1.7, 1/30 at f/1.7

Hopefully I will be able to get out for some pictures tomorrow morning.

Cheers,
Don

V

Vivek

General caution to those who like to dress up their cams:

Avoid doing the one side "wrist strap" thing. These cameras are made with very thin plastic (based on what I see in a G1) and are certainly not meant to be slung around with leather wrist straps from one side.

If in doubt, feel free to crack open one of the cams to see if there is any truth to this. :D

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Just got mine this Monday afternoon. Between charging the battery, reading a little of the manual and dressing it up there was little time left to get out to take any pictures outside. I played around with the GF1/20mm taking pictures of my granddaughter while trying out the camera strap around my neck. I think it carries well and I can comfortably hold the camera out in front to take pictures using the LCD.

Below you see the dressed out GF1 with a Gordy leather camera strap from my G9 (now sold) plus a half case and the G1 sports a leather wrist strap. :) A new black leather wrist strap is on it's way from Luigi. I also ordered a couple hooks from Leicagoodies to make switching between straps easier. :D

Link to larger image above if interested: http://www.digitaldiamondphotography.com/pics/2009-10-05G1-GF1-2.JPG

Here's a picture of my Granddaughter Lily. :D:D - GF1, 20mm f/1.7, 1/30 at f/1.7

Hopefully I will be able to get out for some pictures tomorrow morning.

Cheers,
Don
Don, Lovely photo of Lily.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
...snip... It makes me realize I need a dose of countryside...too much asphalt the past few weeks.
More country, but I'll take the Golden Gate Bridge any day.:ROTFL:

GF1 and 20mm at f/1.7

20mm at f/2.8

f/2.5

GF1 and Pen-F 42 f/1.2 at f/2

Last edited:

slosync

General caution to those who like to dress up their cams:

Avoid doing the one side "wrist strap" thing. These cameras are made with very thin plastic (based on what I see in a G1) and are certainly not meant to be slung around with leather wrist straps from one side.

If in doubt, feel free to crack open one of the cams to see if there is any truth to this. :D
Thanks Vivek...

Good words to heed!! Personally I use the strap as a saftey measure and usually carry the G1 by the grip with my hand through the wrist strap.

I don't think the GF1 will be as easy to carry using a wrist strap as it's grip is so small. I have to make a few trips to get the "hang" of it....:p

Don

Diane B

Thanks Vivek...

Good words to heed!! Personally I use the strap as a saftey measure and usually carry the G1 by the grip with my hand through the wrist strap.

I don't think the GF1 will be as easy to carry using a wrist strap as it's grip is so small. I have to make a few trips to get the "hang" of it....:p

Don
I've played back and forth with a wrist strap, neck/shoulder strap. I only use a wrist strap as safety measure on these cameras--never have carried it by one. I agree--for safety, since the grip is small, I found I wanted a bit of protection--and also, my fingers found themselves gripping harder as the time went on, since its not as ergonomically nice as the G1's grip. But still--isn't it a fun camera to shoot with?!?!?

I tried my Y strap yesterday also, after shooting. It seems a bit more strap than really needed, width wise, but--it really does work nicely to carry and have the camera at ready quickly rather than carry it in hand all the time. The strap doesn't quite give the stability of a neck strap (as Terry suggested) for low light/lower shutter speeds, but works pretty well--you can still stretch it out and hold stable (though connected on only one side, so--not quite as good for that).

But--I'm still open to finding the right thing to suit--a good shoulder strap (my Optechs with pro loops wouldn't go through the lugs so couldn't try them and so put the GF1 strap on--but need the 'right' strap LOL).

Diane