The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the GF1

ecsh

No lens hood comes with it.
Diane, take a look at wapitistraps.com
Nice design and narrow, and the leather is really soft. Fits good on this camera.
Joe

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks, Terry, Diane, and Guy. That bell was manufactured in 1848. This spot was the site of a Church and the bell and cemetery are all that is left. My husbands great grandparents are buried there. His great grandfather was instrumental in building the Church. It is a beautiful spot out in the country atop a high hill (not typical of mostly flat/rolling Wisconsin).

I really enjoyed using the GF1 today. I only took the M8 with an IR filter on it and the GF1, so I did most of my shooting with the "little" guy.

Guy, I did have a 46mm vented hood that I already had (heavystar) on the 20 f/1.7.

Diane B

No lens hood comes with it.
Diane, take a look at wapitistraps.com
Nice design and narrow, and the leather is really soft. Fits good on this camera.
Joe
Thanks Joe. The only straps I had were the OPtech with Pro loops and the loops wouldn't fit through the GF1's lugs--though they look about the same as my Canon's but obviously don't have quite the clearance. Straps were overkill anyhow LOL. The Panny strap is just not the 'right' strap (and I'd rather not have advertising on my strap too :ROTFL: )

So--I gather that the bugle strap connections would fit through the lugs. I want a strap that is adjustable since sometimes I like it across my body.

Terry

OK Great news....

I gave one of my optech straps a little surgery and all is now right in the world. I cut the ends (where they used heat to seal the webbing) and the strap fits through the lugs....

ORDER AWAY .... LOL :D:D

Dang ---- now I can't find any matches to re-melt the ends :ROTFL:

This is the classic strap not the pro loops.

barjohn

I ordered the 1/2 case from him for $74.95 plus $15 shipping. I haven't received it yet. I ordered the strap from an Amazon seller Vanns for $9.98 a real deal.

Diane B

Guy, I've been looking at straps all evening. Terry had told me before that the web wouldn't fit through the lugs and I had tried with my big pro Optech wtih Pro loops too--but the pro loops wouldn't fit either--even with help. I don't want one as wide as what I use on the 5D so the Classic is probably the right one--glad she tried the 'surgery' LOL.

I looked at the Upstrap tonight but I like to sometimes use a strap 'across' my body with camera at right hip instead of over shoulder or around neck. I wasn't sure I could do that with the regular Up. For on the shoulder, I've read that nothing is better--they just don't slip.

Diane

ecsh

Ok, Bugle strap o rings will not go through the lugs on the camera.:cry:
Back to the drawing board.

V

Vivek

Thanks Vivek...

Good words to heed!! Personally I use the strap as a saftey measure and usually carry the G1 by the grip with my hand through the wrist strap.

I don't think the GF1 will be as easy to carry using a wrist strap as it's grip is so small. I have to make a few trips to get the "hang" of it....:p

Don
Spoils of a 650 Euro experiment.:eek:

It really is astonishingly flimsy.

A Canon Powershot S20, for example, is a lot more sturdy.

jonoslack

HI There
you lot seem to be having a lot of fun!
I'm rather jealous - lots of great pics:
bell cindy
panorama terry
persimmon Diane

sorry to hear of your flimsiness accident Vivek - maybe the Gf1 with it's metal body is tougher? Would you like to give it a go?:p

I went to the local yesterday to play with one, but they haven't seen one yet - delivery in the UK is obviously not that great. Still, it isn't something on my horizon I'm afraid (not least because Silas has nabbed the E-p1 and all the lenses!)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy, I've been looking at straps all evening. Terry had told me before that the web wouldn't fit through the lugs and I had tried with my big pro Optech wtih Pro loops too--but the pro loops wouldn't fit either--even with help. I don't want one as wide as what I use on the 5D so the Classic is probably the right one--glad she tried the 'surgery' LOL.

I looked at the Upstrap tonight but I like to sometimes use a strap 'across' my body with camera at right hip instead of over shoulder or around neck. I wasn't sure I could do that with the regular Up. For on the shoulder, I've read that nothing is better--they just don't slip.

Diane

Yes Diane if your a shoulder person with gear their really is nothing better than the Upstrap. Very hard to slip off even when you bend over to pick something off the ground. Being such a small rig to begin with you always run into strap being bigger than the camera issue as well. Going to try it and see how it works. Lots of times I like just to dump the small camera's right in my shooting vest pocket too so I don't want a monster strap either.

I thought those Y straps would be nice but if we can't trust the one lug option than maybe a bad idea.

Brian Mosley

I went to the local yesterday to play with one, but they haven't seen one yet - delivery in the UK is obviously not that great. Still, it isn't something on my horizon I'm afraid (not least because Silas has nabbed the E-p1 and all the lenses!)
Hi Jono, Mathers of Lancashire seem to have plenty of Panasonic kit and at a good price... good service too.

I've just got my Lumix 20mm f1.7 for the E-P1 - first report here :
dpreview post on E-P1 + 20mm f1.7

Cheers

Brian

Diane B

I thought those Y straps would be nice but if we can't trust the one lug option than maybe a bad idea.
I have one and it does seem a good strap with the Leicagoodies hook. I wonder about the GF1--it is metal case as I understand it--so is it stronger than the G1? Lugs are different also (like my DSLRS).

V

Vivek

HI There
you lot seem to be having a lot of fun!
I'm rather jealous - lots of great pics:
bell cindy
panorama terry
persimmon Diane

sorry to hear of your flimsiness accident Vivek - maybe the Gf1 with it's metal body is tougher? Would you like to give it a go?:p

Jono, You could suggest to Pana to send one of everything to me to try that or just send cash. ;):)

Diane B

Very nice, Cindy!

I see the strap mania continues ... :)
Chime in Godfrey. What do you use with the G1 and what do you think you will use with GF1??

I never even think about this with my Canons--I like the E1 wrist/hand strap and my hand on the camera. When I need a strap, I keep the Optech proloop straps on the lugs and I just attach the big Optech strap--but usually over my body and keep my hand on the grip with wrist strap--been doing it that way for years. Trying to figure out what to do with a little camera (though I've just used an Optech wrist strap on the G1 since January) is more trouble it seems :D A wrist strap or a neck/shoulder strap--a bag or in hand---:banghead:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have one and it does seem a good strap with the Leicagoodies hook. I wonder about the GF1--it is metal case as I understand it--so is it stronger than the G1? Lugs are different also (like my DSLRS).
Yes I have yet to get my hands on one yet so i am interested in the body build and the lug setup for it.