The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the GF1

Terry

Yes I have yet to get my hands on one yet so i am interested in the body build and the lug setup for it.
The lugs are small slits. I read somewhere that the metal loops caused noise to be picked up during video recording. So the web strap is what is touching the camera not metal to metal connections.

RonSmith

I have been using an older Leica nylon strap, which can be seen in the picture below. Unfortunately, I had to send my G1 to the service center in Elk Grove IL when the left lug became loose. It's been there since 9/14, and the last word is that they are waiting for parts from Japan to repair it. I had thought it was just a loose nut, but apparently something broke inside. I did also mention the peeling rubber on the LCD hinge, so maybe they're waiting for a new LCD unit.

I see that the GF1 has lugs similar to my Canon DSLRs and a simple nylon strap without split rings should be the answer.

Being without my G1 these past three weeks makes me doubly anxious to get my GF1 from Robert.

Diane B

I see that the GF1 has lugs similar to my Canon DSLRs and a simple nylon strap without split rings should be the answer.

Being without my G1 these past three weeks makes me doubly anxious to get my GF1 from Robert.
The lugs are very similar to the Canons but don't have 'quite' the same clearance--I couldn't get my Optech pro loops through them. Terry couldn't get the Optech nylon web attachments through without cutting off the fatter (sealed with heat) ends, but now that she's done surgery :ROTFL: on the ends, the web strap fits through.

However, I really think its a case of wrist strap or neck strap. Its just a small cam with the 20 and a neck strap seems overkill in some ways--but then in others--makes a lot more sense than for a DLSR (I never ever hang any of my DSLRS from my neck) :) Its a heck of a lot of angst about doggone straps :wtf: isn't it????

I had read about your lug problems before--so with the G1, guess we need to be careful of carrying it by one lug (though I just use the wrist strap 'in case' and not carry it by it). I'll be anxious to hear what they did--and, though I don't have a finish problem, still interested to know what they did for yours.

BTW--we are ALL waiting for Robert to get in his Panny inventory--though we, at least, aren't without cameras. I just want my EVF :eek: :eek:

Diane

Terry

I generally take out the center portion of the Optech straps and carry the camera on the two ends attached (clipped) together. This makes it shorter for over the shoulder carrying but can be put around the neck when needed.

On my bigger cameras I tend to have a hands strap (not wrist) and the optech in tandem.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have put the two ends from an Optech on the GF1. I didn't have any trouble getting them through the lugs. I am just going to use them connected... without the center portion (I just read that Terry came to the same conclusion.:ROTFL:) I'll put the center portion in the bottom of the bag, but just plan to use the two ends hooked together as a "hand strap" for safety.
I have a generic plate that screws into the tripod mount. It was made to use with a hand strap. I put a heavy wring through the end and will use the plate on the GF1 when I attach it to the Y strap. I'm not giving up on the Y strap because it works so well for me. I can loop the Optech straps through the Y strap for backup security. Problem solved with old bits.

Diane B

I have put the two ends from an Optech on the GF1. I didn't have any trouble getting them through the lugs. I am just going to use them connected... without the center portion (I just read that Terry came to the same conclusion.:ROTFL:) I'll put the center portion in the bottom of the bag, but just plan to use the two ends hooked together as a "hand strap" for safety.
I have a generic plate that screws into the tripod mount. It was made to use with a hand strap. I put a heavy wring through the end and will use the plate on the GF1 when I attach it to the Y strap. I'm not giving up on the Y strap because it works so well for me. I can loop the Optech straps through the Y strap for backup security. Problem solved with old bits.
I use my big Optech like that--mostly just leave the connectors hooked for a handle and carry the strap when traveling 'in case'. With the big camera, the loops aren't long enough to really carry on shoulder or around neck but it doesn't matter.

Since B & H isn't open, I haven't ordered yet, and since I need a new plate for the GF1, will look for one with ability to use handstrap and try the Y strap that way. I have an old Camdaptor which is really too wide, but it does have strap lugs. I haven't found a universal yet that has those same lugs except for one from S. Korea that doesn't have measurements.

Godfrey

... wrist strap machinations

Good words to heed!! Personally I use the strap as a saftey measure and usually carry the G1 by the grip with my hand through the wrist strap.

I don't think the GF1 will be as easy to carry using a wrist strap as it's grip is so small. I have to make a few trips to get the "hang" of it....
I've been experimenting more and more with my latest wrist strap idea:

For years I've used a hand-strap or wrist-strap on the right wrist, holding the camera by its grip in the right hand with the strap cinched enough to provide drop protection. This has the unfortunate consequence of making lens changes and other things I need my right hand for somewhat clumsy ... I need to put the camera down somewhere after undoing the strap and pick it back up again, re-set the strap, etc.

I had the bright idea a couple of weeks ago to move the strap to the other side of the camera ... the left hand side ... and cinch it around my left wrist. I did this on the G1 first ... the difference is amazing. Now I carry the camera in my left hand, fingers cradling the lens, with a sure grip. My right hand and arm are completely free to move around, reach in the bag, etc. I can change a lens in half the time ... I don't need a place to set everything down. If I need to shake someone's hand, I can do it without juggling a camera. AND it incites me to *always use both hands* when taking a picture, which makes for steadier photographs.

This morning I carried the L1 on my walk and did the same thing. The same benefits apply, despite it being a much larger, heavier camera to carry.

I'm very happy with this new-found way to manage the camera in my walking about. It allows me to always have the camera at the ready for shooting while not in the way of my right hand.

My G1 strap is just a little wrist leash from the Fuji F30 camera. I've tested it, it's plenty strong enough. The L1 strap I use is an asymmetrically cut down Nikon YB-14 nylon strap, which I route through the strap lugs pointing downwards with a half-twist. My hand and arm go in from the front, the action of turning the camera to orient it properly turns the strap into a perfectly secure loop around my wrist, and it doesn't get in the way when I fit the camera on a tripod.

For both, considering this new left-wrist usage, I might re-do them with a slightly longer length to give a bit more working space for the camera to move around.

Last edited:

Diane B

Thanks Godfrey. David asked me Sunday why I didn't put the wrist strap on the left as we were fiddling around with the neck strap connectors, Y strap, etc. (he couldn't see all the kerfuddle about straps anyhow LOL). I couldn't come up with a good reason NOT to--but stuck with the right. However, you gave me some good reasons to try it. I do use 2 hands shooting so it does seem worthwhile to try.

Godfrey

Thanks Godfrey. David asked me Sunday why I didn't put the wrist strap on the left as we were fiddling around with the neck strap connectors, Y strap, etc. (he couldn't see all the kerfuddle about straps anyhow LOL). I couldn't come up with a good reason NOT to--but stuck with the right. However, you gave me some good reasons to try it. I do use 2 hands shooting so it does seem worthwhile to try.
BTW: One of the reasons a longer leash is needed for the G1 is that the left-wrist strap gets in the way of the articulating LCD for waist level use and horizontal photos. I tend to shoot verticals more from waist level, but this is a factor you should keep in mind.

jonoslack

Re: ... wrist strap machinations

I had the bright idea a couple of weeks ago to move the strap to the other side of the camera ... the left hand side ... and cinch it around my left wrist. I did this on the G1 first ... the difference is amazing. Now I carry the camera in my left hand, fingers cradling the lens, with a sure grip. My right hand and arm are completely free to move around, reach in the bag, etc. I can change a lens in half the time ... I don't need a place to set everything down. If I need to shake someone's hand, I can do it without juggling a camera. AND it incites me to *always use both hands* when taking a picture, which makes for steadier photographs.
Gordon Bennett Godfrey . . . for once I completely agree with you. I've been doing the left hand hold for some time now . . in fact, as the real test I carried an M9 for a 10 hour walk in 40C just like that - it works really well.

M

meilicke

Excellent idea to carry the camera in the left hand. Thank you all!

-Scott

slosync

Re: ... wrist strap machinations

I've been experimenting more and more with my latest wrist strap idea:

For both, considering this new left-wrist usage, I might re-do them with a slightly longer length to give a bit more working space for the camera to move around.
Great idea Godfrey.... :thumbs:

I'm going to give it a try on my G1. I have to get the feel of it to see what strap length will work for me.

Thanks and cheers,
Don

bradhusick

Here's my GF1 with the Panasonic case, Voigt 35mm finder, UpStrap RF/DC and Contax GG-1 metal hood.
Yum.

(photos taken with iPhone 3GS)

Last edited:

bradhusick

Thanks, Guy. I have to say the Voigt 35mm viewfinder is an excellent match for the 20mm Pana lens. The effective focal length is 40mm, but I'd say it's actually closer to 35+, so the finder tells you what you need. The pop up flash clears the finder with room to spare.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I got a tutorial from Terry on my shiny new GF1.
Man, this camera is a blast!
Now, lets see, how do I take pictures with this thing? :eek:
I am used to something simple like an M8 or a phase P45+ or a 1DsIII. :ROTFL:
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks, Guy. I have to say the Voigt 35mm viewfinder is an excellent match for the 20mm Pana lens. The effective focal length is 40mm, but I'd say it's actually closer to 35+, so the finder tells you what you need. The pop up flash clears the finder with room to spare.
Okay the Contax GG-1 metal hood is not cheap bud. Ouch Like 35 to 50 bucks on evil bay

I found two blank filter 49mm threads that I stripped out the glass for something before and it actually may serve as a nice hood. The Voight looks cool. Might have to check that out. I'm still waiting for my GF-1. :angry:

W

wblynch

Nice, with that OVF one could shoot with both eyes open.

Being Left-Eyed, I've seldom had that luxury.

Here's my GF1 with the Panasonic case, Voigt 35mm finder, UpStrap RF/DC and Contax GG-1 metal hood.
Yum.

wjlapier

Nice setup Brad. And I just sold my Voigt 35mm Finder :banghead: Another accessory to buy and I still don't have the darn thing :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I got a tutorial from Terry today with my shiny new GF1 20/1.7 kit :D. Have to say, I am relatively impressed so far. Love the image quality, camera size and responsiveness.

Oh and Terry, the color palette B&W method we discovered does not affect the raw file only the jpeg -- and our settings looked pretty darn good. (FWIW, we discovered a quick way to get excellent B&W: turn to the color palette mode, then select custom, adjust color temp all the way red, leave brightness at 0, set saturation to 0 -- presto, that mode is now a pretty darn good B&W ;) )