The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Interesting Imaging Resource finding on E-P1

Terry

I haven't looked at all of my E-P1 raws very closely because of the lack of LR support until now. When I get back to SF I will have a look at my Pen + 14-42 files. What I find interesting but don't know if it is linked is the results Tim Ashley posted about early on. In his finding he was saying to turn off IS right around the 1/150 shutter speed. At that time I was perplexed by his finding perhaps it is linked.

Here is the I-R article

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EP1/EP1BLUR.HTM

Here is the thread with Tim's comments

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8688&highlight=AEL

D

ddk

This should make Rafa happy, he was having this problem early on and no one here knew what it was.

Terry

Yeah, I'm not sure I have that much in my files at these speeds. I used the camera the most in Iceland outdoors for landscape during normal hours where I would expect to have higher shutter speeds. I also used the camera with the 7-14 more often which doesn't seem to be a problem area.

pellicle

This should make Rafa happy, he was having this problem early on and no one here knew what it was.
it might have helped if he had posted some examples ... I was interested in the problem but with nothing to work with it was hard to go further.

R

Ranger 9

I wondered when the forum would take note of this. It's not a condemnation of the E-P1 in general, but it shows how the complexities of modern camera design can create situations that might not seem obvious at first glance.

The issue with image stabilization making images less sharp is particularly ironic, and it seems not to be exclusive to the E-P 1 with original firmware. I remember reading a mention on Thom Hogan's Nikon site that there are some situations in which a Nikon lens' internal IS should be turned off because it can degrade results, and it wouldn't surprise me if the same is true of other combinations.

This seems to be a phenomenon that isn't widely understood or well documented, but certainly could affect critical results.

V

Vivek

The Nikon VR issues could be both electronic and optical (instability due to shaking of the VR unit coupled optics). Nikonistas with the earliest 70-200 VR and such have reported what the fix from Nikon was when sent for repairs.

Canon's IS appears less prone to it. Their technology is more mature.

E-P1's sensor shake problem with the kit zoom isn't surprising given how fragile that kitzzoom's construction is.

It is less likely to be a problem with better made lenses.

I would think this is a case of inferior lens construction.