The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tilt/Shift versus G1 - question

greypilgrim

Okay, so I was thinking about this because of the talk that has gone on here about T/S adapters possibly coming for m4/3. And, I am familiar with the concepts as to what can be achieved specifically with tilting a lens.

But then I started confusing myself :p when I started to think that effectively, don't you achieve the same results by tilting the camera backplane? So, if the point of tilting a lens is to shift the focal plane of the lens, can't you achieve effectively the same effect by taking advantage of the G1 swivel screen, tilting the camera while still being able to view your image? Or is the actual effect achieved by having the focal plane of the lens tilted with respect to the sensor/film?

Even as I write this, I am sure I have thought to long on this and twisted it around :confused:.. Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks,

Doug

Last edited:

pellicle

Hi

I'll have a go ...

firstly there are "center" and "base" tilts ... lets go with center as its more simple to comprehend and more closely resembles what most "tilt shift" 35mm lenses do.

assuming you focus on something mid distance as you tilt the top of the lens forward (or down) the foreground comes more into focus and the background does too .

essentially there is no 'rear' tilt available

also, you can do what you like with the swivel screen but the relationship between lens and sensor remain the same

Last edited:

pellicle

ohh

perhaps its worth mentioning that one of the purposes is to bring more into focus than can be brought into focus with simply stopping down. I guess that once you got to pinhole sizes of stopping down you would have similar depth of field, but then you'd loose the advantage of having a lens.

pinhole is not sharp due to the effects of diffraction.

perhaps this blog page of mine is helpful?

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/05/lens-tilt-on-panasonic-g1.html

pellicle

Or is the actual effect achieved by having the focal plane of the lens tilted with respect to the sensor/film?
yes ... that is correct ... why not make up your own basic system and experiment?

I munged up something like this from a bicycle tube.

some samples: