The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is GF1 is E-P1 killer?

sagar

Just curious how GF1 would impact olympus EP-1 From the look and build wise I am loving olympus and still hesitate to buy Panasonic due to its consumer electronic image in my mind

How does GF1 and E-P1 compare for all practical purposes they have been build for.

Warm Regards
Sagar

Isn't there a rumored Oly out there with the same form factor but a built in viewfinder and of course in body IS? That might be a GF1 killer - who knows. The killing doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon. So don't worry and dive in.

iiiNelson

They are pretty much the same except:

- EP-1 is sensor stabilized
- The Panasonic lenses focus slightly fast on Panasonic cameras
- Some prefer Olympus look and others prefer Panasonic look of images
- The Panasonics have higher resolution viewfinders

In all honesty the G1/GH1 are still technically the best and most versatile Micro 4/3 cameras unless you need a smaller form factor IMO.

C

ChrisJ

The only advantage the E-P1 has, and it's a big advantage, is the Image Stabilisation is in camera, this means that any lens you fit is Image Stabilised, even legacy manual focus ones.

Other than that the G1/GF1 has all the pluses, auto focus help light, higher res screen, very high res viwfinder, auto focus is slow on the E-P1 even in good conditions, on the G1/GF1 it's virtually instant.

Chris

Brian Mosley

Why I prefer the E-P1 over the G1/GH1/GF1...

Image Quality - this is largely down to the Olympus image processing engine, either in jpeg or Olympus Studio - colour, smooth tonal detail and noise control is the best available for m4/3rds.

In Body Image Stabilisation - stabilisation for every lens you can fit, including all the classic legacy lenses.

CDAF for all 4/3rds standard lenses - I have some beautiful ZD lenses which are all autofocus on the E-P1. Comparative CDAF speed is overhyped, and slow but accurate CDAF is still much better than no CDAF.

Ergonomics - I think the E-P1 has fantastic ergonomics. everything falls within reach of my right thumb on the right side of the back panel. The silver thumbwheel is awesome, and the rotating dial around the buttons works perfectly for me...

Configurability - this camera has the deepest, most configurable user interface I've ever used. Once it's set, you don't need to delve so deep - but having the flexibility is just what I want.

Art Filters - I don't over-use them, but when they're appropriate, they can lift an image very nicely! the B&W grainy and pinhole filters are my favourites.

Style - this is a camera I'll want to use long after it's been superseded by some newer technological box.

Apart from that, there's practically no difference :ROTFL:

Kind Regards

Brian

O

OzRay

If you use manual focus lenses, as many do, the focus issue is pretty much moot; however, don't think that this is the best that Olympus can do, they've been in the game as long as anyone and a lot longer than many latter day electronics companies. And they've proven a lot of 'experts' wrong, as they are still here today, with their 'tiny' format.

Cheers

Ray

PeterB666

I am happy with my E-P1 and appreciate the in-body image stabilisation which I use with a variety of old manual focus lenses including Olympus OM 28 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4 and Schneider 40mm f/1.9 lenses.

Certainly the E-P1 could be improved in a couple of areas but I don't miss the onboard flash. I have the FL14 flash which is very compact and a good match for the camera. The onboard flash on the GF1 is too weak for kit zoom lenses unless you crank up the ISO.

I would like to see faster autofocus but I would use my camera on MF more often than not and a higher resolution LCD which doesn't lose colour when the light falls would be nice but I can manage quite well as it is.

I think both cameras have a place and certainly the GF1 looks good on paper but I would still pick the E-P1 for the on-body IS.

clay stewart

Why I prefer the E-P1 over the G1/GH1/GF1...

Image Quality - this is largely down to the Olympus image processing engine, either in jpeg or Olympus Studio - colour, smooth tonal detail and noise control is the best available for m4/3rds.

In Body Image Stabilisation - stabilisation for every lens you can fit, including all the classic legacy lenses.

CDAF for all 4/3rds standard lenses - I have some beautiful ZD lenses which are all autofocus on the E-P1. Comparative CDAF speed is overhyped, and slow but accurate CDAF is still much better than no CDAF.

Ergonomics - I think the E-P1 has fantastic ergonomics. everything falls within reach of my right thumb on the right side of the back panel. The silver thumbwheel is awesome, and the rotating dial around the buttons works perfectly for me...

Configurability - this camera has the deepest, most configurable user interface I've ever used. Once it's set, you don't need to delve so deep - but having the flexibility is just what I want.

Art Filters - I don't over-use them, but when they're appropriate, they can lift an image very nicely! the B&W grainy and pinhole filters are my favourites.

Style - this is a camera I'll want to use long after it's been superseded by some newer technological box.

Apart from that, there's practically no difference :ROTFL:

Kind Regards

Brian
Bravo Brian, spoken like a true blue Olympus Sales Rep..:ROTFL:

Brian Mosley

...or someone who knows why he prefers one camera over another :p

Please, if you have anything sensible to add to the discussion - fire away :ROTFL:

Cheers

Brian

clay stewart

...or someone who knows why he prefers one camera over another :p

Please, if you have anything sensible to add to the discussion - fire away :ROTFL:

Cheers

Brian
Anything sensible, hum. Well, I can say the truth as I see it, because I have nothing to gain or loose in the process. Nothing personal Brian, but my experience with the EP1 is vastly different than yours. I'm just a user of cameras and not trying to promote or put down anyone. If it works good, I give it a thumbs up, if not, a thumbs down, like Siskel and Ebert:D

My impression, after using the EP1, was that it reminded me of a shiny-to the point of being gawdy- flimsy, squish in your hand, when you squeeze it, made in Pakistan pocket knife, from the mid 1980's.

The focus wheel, on the flimsy kit zoom could not even be touched ( cradled in the hand) without the zoom feature on the LCD zooming back and fourth to no end. The focus seemed fine, if I had a few seconds with a non moving subject. If the subject was moving, then there was a slim chance of getting the whole subject in the frame, in focus, before the shutter clicked.

As far as image quality being superior, well I would say that the out of camera jpegs from my Panasonic TS1 at 28 mm seemed to be at least as good, color, contrast and sharpness wise. I never got a chance to see the raw files.

So, I think the GF1 would have to be complete and utter junk, not to easily best the EP1 and recent reports lead me to believe that it does.

The EP1 was rushed to market and was not ready, in my opinion. I have nothing against Olympus, I've used them since the film days, but I lost a little faith, after the EP1 release. Was that sensible?:toocool:

T

thearne3

Clay -

Never having handled a Pakistan pocket knife, I can still get your drift...

The clear implication of your remarks is that you consider the E-P1 'complete and utter junk'. Fine. It's fair to say yours is the minority view. All reviews I have read give the E-P1 very high marks - along with a list of things they'd like to see changed/improved.

Are the changes in the GF-1 enough to make it a 'slam dunk' choice over the E-p1? I don't think so - largely for the reasons Brian has already noted. They simply have different strengths and weaknesses.

Apparently, it's no contest for you...

Kind regards,
Tom

clay stewart

Hi Tom. If it was just for manual focus lenses, then other than the gawdy exterior shell it would probably be fine.

The EP1 as an AF camera - which by the way, is probably how Olympus intended it to be used, since they are not making MF lenses right now- is not something I would spend my money on again.

I think telling would be buyers that it is a all around great camera is not exactly good information, as I suspect there are more than just one person that has buyers remorse after getting this camera.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just tend to forget that it's better to keep them to myself on the internet forums.:banghead::D

nostatic

I found the E-P1 to be style over substance. That isn't saying it doesn't have substance, but rather that it has a lot of style. But I think it falls short of the Panny 4/3 offerings wrt performance, especially AF. I found file quality between G1 and E-P1 to be about a wash, but preferred the "look" of the E-P1 jpgs. Since Aperture didn't support the raw files, I didn't shoot much raw (I have Raw Developer, just don't find it fits in my workflow very well).

I think I'm holding out for the X1 actually and may pass on both Panny and Oly offerings for my "small/light/hi-quality" rig.

Brian Mosley

Anything sensible, hum. Well, I can say the truth as I see it, because I have nothing to gain or loose in the process. Nothing personal Brian, but my experience with the EP1 is vastly different than yours. I'm just a user of cameras and not trying to promote or put down anyone. If it works good, I give it a thumbs up, if not, a thumbs down, like Siskel and Ebert:D
Well, for someone not trying to put down anyone, you had a good stab at it! :wtf:

I can say the truth as I see it too... and not expect the kind of character assassination we see plebs get away with on dpreview.

This neighbourhood seems to be on the slide, let's keep it civil please :lecture:

Cheers

Brian

O

OzRay

Anything sensible, hum. Well, I can say the truth as I see it, because I have nothing to gain or loose in the process.

My impression, after using the EP1, was that it reminded me of a shiny-to the point of being gawdy- flimsy, squish in your hand, when you squeeze it, made in Pakistan pocket knife, from the mid 1980's.

So, I think the GF1 would have to be complete and utter junk, not to easily best the EP1 and recent reports lead me to believe that it does.

The EP1 was rushed to market and was not ready, in my opinion. I have nothing against Olympus, I've used them since the film days, but I lost a little faith, after the EP1 release. Was that sensible?:toocool:
I'm glad you said '...truth as you see it...', because that sets the baseline for your ramble. Firstly, you need to understand the difference between truth and opinion. You have stated an 'opinion', not a 'truth', though in your own mind it clearly appears as truth (or fact). :thumbdown:

The rest then firmly establishes that the '...truth as you see it...' is quite distorted from the point of view of probably most of the 'world plus dog'. I'm wondering whether it was actually an EP-1 that you held, as I've never heard anyone even remotely suggest that it's '...flimsy, squishy...' and mine certainly is not. Either that, or you must have ham hocks for hands where nothing but something cast from a solid block of iron would seem solid to you. :bugeyes:

As for the GF1 having to be complete junk, you are clearly inferring that the EP-1 'is' junk. Again the '...truth as you see it...' appears to be that of someone with a completely distorted vision. I have never read anywhere, other than from you, that the EP-1 is considered junk. It may not tick all the boxes that some may judge it by, but wider opinions do appear somewhat more rational than yours.

Your opinion certainly does cover a wide number of aspects relating to the EP-1. The huge sales success though, appears to be another verification that maybe it wasn't brought to market too early and perhaps you should re-evaluate your opinions. :eek:

But then, opinions are like a*seholes, everyone has one. Fortunately, the only place where they seem to always be on display are on forums. :D

Cheers

Ray

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@ Decisive Monemtum: what is that rumour (re. Oly with finder) you mention? Can you point me to a link?

Re. Ray's
opinions are like a*seholes, everyone has one
the key bit left out (IMHO) is: because this is the case, the question to ask is "What makes this opinion more useful/valuable/relevant than the other?"

And on a related note, trying to find the difference between truth and opinion has been the main occupation of philosophers since the ancient Greeks!

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
They are both good cameras. I tried out the GF1 this past weekend for a short spell. It's nice but I prefer and actually need the IS.
The 20mm is wonderful and on the Pen with the IS, it's a great combo.....

p.s.
To all you Aussies'...
Congrats on bringing home your last hero from the Nam......

You should all be proud of that....I know I am....
Don

pellicle

To all you Aussies'...
Congrats on bringing home your last hero from the Nam......

You should all be proud of that....I know I am....
Don
you know the sad thing is we seem to be creating our new Nam in Afganistan right now ... funny how people never learn from the past

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
you know the sad thing is we seem to be creating our new Nam in Afganistan right now ... funny how people never learn from the past
I only posted because Australia has been relentless in it's efforts to recover the last MIA. It took over 40 years but they never forgot.

End of issue....back to the 2 great cameras...
Shooter