The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is GF1 is E-P1 killer?

iiiNelson

Interestingly enough when I bought my G1 people were complaining about it being too expensive. I didn't think it was--I paid $500 for the G9 as an early adopter and $530 for the G1--with a very good lens (from an Ebay auction but lots of us bought them around that price).

Nothing has been said, that I know of, about the G1 being discontinued and its still available most every place, but it does make sense to have the GF1 sit below the GH1. People seem determined to compare the GH1 with the lower tier of DSLRs but I didn't and don't really see them as apples/apples. The GH1 in particular seems unique and the E-P1 and GF1 are variants on the theme, but offer other options (primarily the form). Then both of these were offered with pancake lenses which appealed to people that might not have bought into the m4/3rds.

All in all, prices don't seem outrageous for most of the system--a bit higher than some, but not out of line for a new system--and--as said, supply and demand (though that seems a bit manipulated).

Diane
I bought my 2 lens G1 kit for about $875 shipped so that's why I think the GF1/EP-1 is slightly overpriced (no not retail value but that was the going price.) I think it's a good deal @$650-750. At $900 plus whatever the EVF is going for I'd look even more closely at the G1 or GH1 if I wanted to get into Micro 4/3 personally. I'm interested in the 20mm, 45mm Macro, and 7-14mm lenses myself still but I think I will just get those separately.

O

OzRay

People expected way to much from the Pen and then when it didn't deliver everything they wanted, it was a much more significant blow and the kick back has been way greater than it should have been. Those that have accepted it for what it is, are doing well with the camera. I believe that the Pen was fully intended as a tribute to the original Pen, and Maitani, and not as the final word in m4/3s from Olympus.

Olympus is much more forward looking than many give it credit and they have ridden almost a continuous wave of negative comment since they first put out the E1. That hasn't stopped them from going on and producing outstanding cameras and lenses. The compromises that were made with the original two lenses will be forgotten when they start to bring out the more traditional ones, and they will come.

All credit to Panasonic for bringing out great m4/3s cameras and staying with 4/3s, but it's easier to do so when there's only one line of cameras/lenses to consider; Olympus still has to maintain the 4/3s line as well, because it caters to a completely different user.

Cheers

Ray

iiiNelson

People expected way to much from the Pen and then when it didn't deliver everything they wanted, it was a much more significant blow and the kick back has been way greater than it should have been. Those that have accepted it for what it is, are doing well with the camera. I believe that the Pen was fully intended as a tribute to the original Pen, and Maitani, and not as the final word in m4/3s from Olympus.

Olympus is much more forward looking than many give it credit and they have ridden almost a continuous wave of negative comment since they first put out the E1. That hasn't stopped them from going on and producing outstanding cameras and lenses. The compromises that were made with the original two lenses will be forgotten when they start to bring out the more traditional ones, and they will come.

All credit to Panasonic for bringing out great m4/3s cameras and staying with 4/3s, but it's easier to do so when there's only one line of cameras/lenses to consider; Olympus still has to maintain the 4/3s line as well, because it caters to a completely different user.

Cheers

Ray
I agree that people are sometimes overly critical of the EP-1 but I think a lot of that has to do with where the G1 set the bar. Love or hate the form factor it was built with function in mind first.

I can't speak for others but I wasn't prepared to pay more for a screen with lower resolution, without articulating ability, and without a serious EVF option just to gain sensor based IS. The flash accessory being tacked on didn't help (kinda like the removable EVF doesn't help the GF1.) Believe me I really wanted to like the EP-1 for a D-Lux 4 replacement but the specs/ price alone killed the idea off before it was released.

kevinparis

My problem with the e-p1... is too many easily mis-hit buttons.... it is really getting in the way of me getting to fall in love with the camera. Some times i look enviously at the simplicity of the Leica M8.... but then i wake up... :)
K

Brian Mosley

I do not think Olympus have to worry about Panasonic or vice versa. Once (if) Sony cams with EXMOR-R sensors hit the market, for example, the whole of m4/3rds- blind or with whatever view finders, will all look like toy cams.

Even a Ricoh cam with an APS-C sized CMOS sensor would do it, no need for the EXMOR-R or something fancy like that.

More expensive Olympus camera? Yeah, that will hammer yet another nail in the coffin.
I'm inclined to agree with you Vivek, I see Sony as the one to watch in this segment... if they decide they want it, they could well go in aggressively. I still have my Sony R1 :thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

Michiel Schierbeek

My problem with the e-p1... is too many easily mis-hit buttons.... it is really getting in the way of me getting to fall in love with the camera. Some times i look enviously at the simplicity of the Leica M8.... but then i wake up... :)
K
Did you ever try a "stinking" G1? I love it, exept for the lack of a dedicated magnification button for MF lenses, but no love is perfect. :D
Michiel

O

OzRay

I agree that people are sometimes overly critical of the EP-1 but I think a lot of that has to do with where the G1 set the bar. Love or hate the form factor it was built with function in mind first.

I can't speak for others but I wasn't prepared to pay more for a screen with lower resolution, without articulating ability, and without a serious EVF option just to gain sensor based IS. The flash accessory being tacked on didn't help (kinda like the removable EVF doesn't help the GF1.) Believe me I really wanted to like the EP-1 for a D-Lux 4 replacement but the specs/ price alone killed the idea off before it was released.
It's always going to be a case of 'horses for courses', with some degree of compromise. I didn't want any of the Panasonic offerings, because I didn't want another DSLR shaped camera, no matter how small. The E3 has a articulating screen, but the number of times I've used it could be counted in one hand, and it's always turned around facing the body. I don't know how good the flash on the GF1 is going to be, but I've never been happy with any pop-up flash on any camera that I've owned. I think the Pen follow-up will be interesting.

kevinparis said:
K
You can lock that feature and never have those issues, it's one of the first things that I did. The super control function (the OK) button will give you quick access to any setting that you may want to change.

Cheers

Ray

kevinparis

michiel

i did hold a g1 in a shop... but as it didn't actually feel much smaller than my 510 it was a no go...

as for the stinking reference... well that was not a comment on the g1... more an amusing nod to a line in Mel Brooks film Blazing Saddles "Badges... we dont need no stinking badges".

At the time I started that thread there was a hysteria around the G1 that was drowning everything else out... it actually turned out to be a fun thread...

cheers
K

kevinparis

Ray

I have managed to lock out the scroll wheel ( actually mapped it to flash compensation.... no flash no problem :)

I actually defended olympus here on their user interface - but with the e-p1 they lost the plot. I can drive Photoshop, Final Cut, Logic, and any other bit of software you care to mention... but the E-P1 is a dog.

so sad

K

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I can drive Photoshop, Final Cut, Logic, and any other bit of software you care to mention... but the E-P1 is a dog.

so sad

K
Yessir, it's a dog alright....a fast sleek Greyhound.....
I work the streets with the Pen and the 17 as fast as I work my M's and a cron.....

as they say here in Philly...dat dere be da s+it....

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Kevin....
Simple setup...

Fn button has screen on/off....
17mm, finder on top....
AF is at AEL...
sleep off...(now it works so ya can set it how ya like)
A mode generally f11...
(I am about 6' tall, if I hold the camera level to my eyes, point to the ground..and hit AF...I am at hyperfocal distance for f11...give me about 2.75' to Paris....)
Iso to support f11...generally 400-800 in good light...

then just walk around.....1 cup Kona with some Bailey's to taste....

The camera will respond instantly on release.....every once in a while I hit the release about 1/2 just to make sure she's awake....

This way works great as the camera is always awake and it can wait for me to wake up.....
Shoot

kevinparis

thanks street

oddly enough... just at the time you were writing this I had independently come to roughly the same set of settings...

substituted the Kona/Baileys with sitting at a cafe with a glass of red :)

will post some shots shortly

thanks again

K

kevinparis

think it was a Brouilly.. which may or may not contai Merlot... the French name the wine after the place its grown... not the grape.... sheesh what do they know about wine :)

anyway some paris street shots

cheers

K

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

think it was a Brouilly.. which may or may not contai Merlot... the French name the wine after the place its grown... not the grape.... sheesh what do they know about wine :)

anyway some paris street shots

cheers

K
Very nice Kevin, so did you use f11 for these?

Cheers

Brian