The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is GF1 is E-P1 killer?

kevinparis

brian
thanks for compliments

I was actually on P mode at 1250 iso... probably around 5.6

will try f11 trick next time

cheers

K

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Doesn't f/11 introduce diffraction with this lens? I never used over f/5.6 with it.
Cindy,
I'm deffracted all the time....I use 11 because I like everything to be in Focus...
funny, not using the best f stop for focus...but I've been doing good with it...

Brian is right...f5.0 is home base......but at 12.6' for Hyper and just 6.3' as closest distance doesn't work for me......

I'm compromising Cindy and sometimes it just ain't a pretty site, I tell ya...

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy,
I'm deffracted all the time....I use 11 because I like everything to be in Focus...
funny, not using the best f stop for focus...but I've been doing good with it...

Brian is right...f5.0 is home base......but at 12.6' for Hyper and just 6.3' as closest distance doesn't work for me......

I'm compromising Cindy and sometimes it just ain't a pretty site, I tell ya...
Streetshooter, :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Kevin, Those look really nice. I like your black and white conversion.

kevinparis

Cindy

thanks

no wild magic or voodoo workflows ... just a couple of tweaks using only Aperture. I wrote a wee Applescript to convert E-P1 RAW to E-30 RAW so Aperture will accept the files.

cheers

K

Brian Mosley

Kevin, were you conscious of the woman with the ball lining up perfectly with the smiling face behind her on the poster?

Great contrast of expression :salute:

That's a very cool shot :thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

kevinparis

Brian.... I could lie and say that it was all planned... I was aware of the face on the poster... I saw her walk up the street with the ball.. I had the camera on my knee prefocussed and just fired a shot when i thought it was right.

The result is probably 70/30 luck/judgement

thanks

K

V

Vivek

Indeed. Getting out of the chair would have allowed for a better framing or atleast better cropping possibilities after the capture.

Not bad for a shot while enjoying a beverage.

Reminds of one my shots when my rear was glued to the steps I was sitting on and not capturing the scene from a better angle.

PeterB666

Some people think that the Olympus E-P1 isn't very good when the light falls as the AF is a bit troublesome and there is no focus assist lamp.

Here are a couple of photos I took tonight in poor lighting.

The E-P1 set to ISO3200, f/5.6 (well I was at the 200mm end of a Panasonic G Vario 45-200mm zoom) and shutter speeds of 1/100s and 1/50s respectively. Camera set to aperture priority, S-AF, auto white balance and these are unedited jpg files out of the camera - they have just been downsized a bit...

kevinparis

thanks vivek

... i may go back an recrop to get rid of motorbike on the right. I was just happy that I had finally got the E-p1 to work with me rather than against me :)

Cheers

K

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Peter,
that's where the Pen shines. High ISO is always discussed but not used as much as discussed.
Nice images, just imagine how much better with raw.

Kevin,
Nice to see your clickin' with the street.
Don

PeterB666

Peter,
that's where the Pen shines. High ISO is always discussed but not used as much as discussed.

Kevin,
Nice to see your clickin' with the street.
Don
I started out shooting in RAW + JPG but chose the smaller JPG as I only had a 2GB card, I switched to Large Fine the the shots I posted.

Quite frankly, most of the RAW images require too much work to make look good. The E-P1 does a better job making JPGs than I can 99% of the time playing with RAW images. It really does a stunning job.

When I get a 8GB card and have enough room for RAW I might play more but I am a lazy photographer. I just want to have fun.

I would have killed for a 35-100mm f/2, 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 or 150mm f/2 lenses.

I had my Olympus OM 28mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.4 lenses with me but found it too slow to manually focus these and also they are both more prone to flare from spotlights they had on a stage nearby.

I started manually focusing the 45-200 but found it a pain without a mechanical focus ring and scale so switched to S-AF and was surprised to get AF lock 99% of the time and it seemed quick enough too. Very impressed.

Mozbee

think it was a Brouilly.. which may or may not contai Merlot... the French name the wine after the place its grown... not the grape.... sheesh what do they know about wine :)

anyway some paris street shots

cheers

K
It is true that French name are based on the grown place. With the "Appellation d'origine controlée" ruling, each region are also having only certain types of grapes allowed. So indirectly you can know which grapes there is in the bottle, or should I say you know which ones can't be in it! Brouilly, as far as I remember doesn't have Merlot in their list of grapes. Starting only few years ago, you can see some grape names on French bottles, at least on some bottles exported to Quebec.

I like your pictures and it just pulled a certain nostalgia in me,... I just would like to get back there after my three years and a half stay at the beginning of the century. One funny note, on pictures 2 and 3, on the ads pillar, there's an ad for Gregory Charles, a performer from the province of Quebec. We are exporting an increasing number of great talents over there since around 15 years ago, mainly singers and stand up comic performers.

V

Vivek

Peter,

Perhaps not. These images aren't terribly illustrative of the high ISO potential of the E-P1. Yes, I mean this as a nudge to the E-P1 fans to come up with images that would compellingly illustrate what can not be done with the Pana cams.;)

Brian Mosley

Vivek, I'm sure you're aware that the Panasonic G1 is underrated for ISO sensitivity - the sensors are the same, jpeg quality is arguably better for the E-P1 though, so you may find better noise reduction / colour throughout the range if it's important to you.

I find that I will often develop from raw in Olympus Studio to get the signature Olympus colour, before finishing PP in Lightzone... the only problem being poor distortion/CA correction, but PhotoAcute has just been updated to give support for the E-P1 + 17mm and 14-42mm kit lenses :D

Before PhotoAcute distortion/CA correction :
E-P1 + 17mm f2.8
1/1250s f/5.0 at 17.0mm iso200

PhotoAcute corrected version, taken from 6 images taken in burst mode.

A single raw file can be distortion/CA corrected in PhotoAcute - just drag two copies of the file into the application.

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Brian, Under the lighting conditions you show the example, ISO1200 and such do not matter much.

Low light (well, sensor stabilization from E-P1 would help depending on the lens used and how the set up is used) conditions and mixed light conditions is where the problem might crop up. I am sure the E-P1 has an edge over the Pana in this regard. I just would like to see that illustrated better. My interest here is that Olympus are on record, on their own, that they are more interested in improving DR and S/N than worry about pixel count and such. This is an useful aspect (essential, in fact) in a camera than any other features.

Yes, "correct" exposure helps.

Although Peter made an attempt, IMHO, it is better to use a shorter FL lens (not a 200mm lens on the m4/3rds) to really drive home this.