The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is GF1 is E-P1 killer?

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
it's no DPR

(and that's a good thing).

Actually there are some aspects to the image that I quite like. As street pointed out, the bag the guy is carrying has great geometry, and I love how the boy is caught in a shaft of light.

I'm wondering if this was either shot at a wider aperture or with a bigger sensor (to give less DOF) if the background would have washed a bit more and my eye wouldn't get caught up in it so much. Or perhaps I just just up my dosage :thumbup:
Excuse me Guy....

NS.....try taking the mousie thing and moving the image up on your screen so that the top part gets cut off....

That's right...see...the tension in the eye travel is released...

That contrast is exactly what keeps you in the image......
The eye fights to discover the content.....

anyway.....this is about the best forum on the net....

later

V

Vivek

As street pointed out, the bag the guy is carrying has great geometry, ..

I am lost on that one. :confused:

Edit:

OK, I just realized that NS was talking about my image and not Kevin's.

Nostatic, The gear I used was D300 and a 50/1.8 (@f/3.2). Not a 4/3rds or m4/3rds camera. This shot is 1 year old. In my estimate that aperture was good enough. I would have liked using a wider lens and had I not been sitting down, there would have been possibilities for different perspectives. Also, since I had not been happy about this shot, I never looked at the RAW file. This was a jpg from the camera.

Last edited:

nostatic

Excuse me Guy....

NS.....try taking the mousie thing and moving the image up on your screen so that the top part gets cut off....

That's right...see...the tension in the eye travel is released...

That contrast is exactly what keeps you in the image......
The eye fights to discover the content.....

anyway.....this is about the best forum on the net....

later
I actually played around a bit with the image, doing some highlight recovery and trying different crops. I get what you're saying, but for my eye, the tension is too much and fatigues me. I think there is a tightrope that we walk wrt contrast and tension in an image, and where that line is drawn varies for different artists and viewers. I have to force myself to stay on the image. If this were one of a number of images in a gallery, I wouldn't linger - and that would be to my loss because there are some cool aspects to the shot.

And Vivek, just to be clear I'm not trying to be demeaning or hyper-critical. I'm just genuinely curious about what street saw in the image and how it differed from my take. Actually this discourse has been quite helpful and I have much better clarity that I can hopefully apply to my shots. And the reality is that with street shooting, often you just get what you get as you can't control the variables. I'm far from a technical shooter, as I break a lot of rules and don't bother to control things I could. My reaction was less from a technical analysis but rather just my visceral response to the image.

kevinparis

maybe we should all walk away from this thread... the topics discussed are so far from its title to be silly.

though it has become an interesting discussion on composition... which is much more preferable than pictures of brick walls and the finer nuances of chromic aberration.

I have no idea what guy was trying to say. It sounds like he heard here was a fight going on here and came to calm it down... I look around and I see no fight... I see me and vivek agreeing :).. I see streetshooter offering intellligent insight into why a photo works.... sounds like a good night on a barstool to be... mines a single malt

on the other hand maybe guy posted his message to the wrong thread

peace out

K

V

Vivek

No worries at all, Nostatic.:)

I had shown this one once elsewhere (not DPR and I don't go there) and an old fart of a moderator there made me chuckle with his comments.

This discussion has been nice thanks, Don, Kevin and Nostatic. :)

nostatic

I see me and vivek agreeing :).. I see streetshooter offering intellligent insight into why a photo works.... sounds like a good night on a barstool to be... mines a single malt
So I'm the bartender? Or just the one who has to buy? :ROTFL:

I feel so left out :cry:

Can I have tequila instead of single malt? Sorry, a byproduct of being born and raised in southern California :D

kevinparis

ah nostatic you have me in a quandry... being a scotsman living in paris with a california girl of distant russian extraction our nightcap can rotate between Patron, Laphroig, Otard brandy and Russian Standard vodka

decisions descions

:)

K

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hmmm i thought we had a issue earlier. Okay NOW i am heading for the bar. Maybe I need to throw a few back

kevinparis

guy

it was a bit nippy earlier in the thread.. then people actually took some pictures and started discussing them and all is cool

head to the bar with a clear mind

K

barjohn

To get the thread back on topic, I received a GF1 w/17mm today from Panasonic and I set out to do a comparison between it and the E-P1. I was checking exposure, noise, JPGs, raws, white balance, focus speed, etc. All of the testing was done using the Panasonic 17mm f1.7 lens. What I have found is interesting. I have comparison images in LR so that you can see what I am seeing.

Some of the results were surprising to me and might be to some of you. Each camera has pluses and minuses and deciding which are critical to you (or me) can be difficult as I want it all as I am sure many of you do too.

I have to run out now as my better half is beckoning me to go to dinner so I will work on this when I get back and post the results in a new thread.

kevinparis

topics... we dont need no stinking topics....

anyway if you have a panasonic 17/1.7 you may find its field of view constrained compared to the Zuiko lens. However if you check the front of the lens you will find it to be a 20mm lens

enjoy dinner

K :)

iiiNelson

I am loving how this thread ... which started as a 'gear war' thread has mutated through discussions on wine to an analysis of composition....

gotta love get DPI...

K
Alcohol fixes EVERYTHING... Well not really but it is known as liquid courage in some places.

barjohn

Good catch Kevin. That's the problem with trying to write when your head is stopped up, you are on cold meds and haven't had a drink to loosen things up. :)

Tim

At least no one bought up black or silver, or worse a silver lens on a black body! :deadhorse:

Brian Mosley

Funny thing...I originally posted...
"That's a very good sleeper".....
I changed it on second thought....

Well....I'll try....the white area you see and are drawn to is in contrast to the lower right dark are and that creates some eye travel...The innocent people walking as if unaware of a gun behind them....let alone a child holding it...POINTING IT!

I see a detachment in the relationship of the 3 people.....Maybe the child wants a real gun...it just wakes up thoughts in my mind...

the eye travel works well and moves thru the entire image with minimal interruptions.....

I love the shape of the bag the man is carrying that goes nicely with his feet...and the lines of the woman's top that forces the eye travel left to right and back again BUT...

her position in the door frame supports the vertical lines of the other door/window frames...
That is a dangerous device because it could easily pull the eye travel out of the frame....

it's a nice slice of daily life that could be anywhere/anytime in this modern day world....

There is no sign of Vivek in the image except for the image....

Hope that helps...
Yeah, I know.....I'm crazy as they get....
shooter
This post is worth the entire rest of the thread put together! :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks Vivek, for posting a terrific street shot, and to Don for taking us through it...

I know that there are so many variables in play, that the composition / timing has to be an unconscious achievement... but having a commentary which takes us through why the shot works so well is really of great value!

Thanks everyone, this is what I expect in this neighbourhood! let's keep away from the DPR brain damage please :deadhorse:

Kind Regards

Brian