The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

another 4/3 entrant?

V

Vivek

Awesome news if the rumored specs besides the sensor are true!:thumbs:

madmaxmedia

Maybe the body will be somewhat less expensive than GF1 and EP-1, that would be nice.

I would love the articulating screen too! It seems like it could have many advantages of the G1/GH1 (but not as good EVF), with stabilization added in. Articulating screen and image stabilization make this a winner for me over the already compelling GF1.

And while I'm doing wishful thinking, let's hope they add 1-button MF magnification!

More options are great!

V

Vivek

I would hope to see ~450 Euros price range for the Fuji with its swivel TFT and EVF.

That would make it very attractive.

It would also be nice to see a monochrome m4/3rds or similar cam. I don't mind using an APS-C sized sensored cam either- be it Ricoh, Pentax, Sony or whatever brand.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The most surprising thing about this is that it hasn't happened before. Fuji has been a member of the 4/3 consortium from the outset, they have long experience making camera bodies as well as lenses and their alliance with Nikon for making DSLR bodies has always looked a bit shaky.

My guess is that it will be a camera with excellent image taking properties, a couple of "why on earth did/didn't they do that" details and a price somewhat higher than most of us is going to like. Whatever it looks like, it will be a camera to look forward to.

V

Vivek

What would be most interesting to see is if Fuji would be able to use their CCD and have liveview/EVF. Power consumption wise, this would be highly unlikely.

pellicle

it might be possible to power up parts of the array (say the "normal" sensitivity) during viewfinder operation and reset the system and use the full array only during picture taking

PS ... for those unfamilar with the Fuji sensor array:

pentacon6

Yes, the trend is getting obvious. And Samsung has announced NX10 for about a year ago but postpone the launching schedule without reason. Samsung has already claimed APS-C is her way but she pause suddenly after EP-1 launched. I suspect Samsung wants to redesign the body to become smaller than the prototype.

Afterward, Sony has claimed her interested in this mirror less camera, then also comes the Pentax. Leica has rumor,too. She may make a lens-changeable X1 in the future. However, a lot of people may not know that Ricoh has been already doing something for an interchangeable lens camera without mirror. It may base on GR concept but with unknown sensor size. It is true, from a reliable source. :p

Samsung may guess right. 45% of DSLR will be mirrorless-interchangeable camera in the future. However, everything relies on the AF system since there are tons of technical problems to break through. 4/3 has a smaller sensor size makes the CDAF easier but it may not happen to APS-C sensor. It seems that Sony may take the advantage from Live View AF technology. She already shows her power on A350 and the after.

But Fuji, I am really anxious of her situation. SuperCCD EXR in fact is not as good as some of the competitor such as G11, LX3, GRD III with 1/1.7" sensor size. Detail loss seriously in high ISO from the sample. What Fuji can do is making a bigger sensor at least as same as micro 4/3 to regain the detail. Otherwise, I can't believe it can survive long enough between the competitors. However, the only thing I really long for is the EBC lens es coming back.

pellicle

But Fuji, I am really anxious of her situation. SuperCCD EXR in fact is not as good as some of the competitor such as G11, LX3, GRD III with 1/1.7" sensor size.
sure ... but in their APS sized sensors, if you don't ask it to produce 12 million pixels and instead ask for dynamic range you get stuff like this:

first time I processed a S3 file I was floored by the dynamic range, the lack of clipping and the great shadow detail I got compared to my 10D Canon.

If they put an APS chip into a compact like that, man I'm sold!

and yes, I agree the Fujinon lenses are great ... I use them on my 4x5 system

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Yes, I had two S5 Pros, and I like the look of the files very much. Right now I am playing with a G1 and adapters (Oly, Nikon), a DP2, and an LX3. I would like to add a Fuji to the mix: may the best image win!

V

Vivek

But Fuji, I am really anxious of her situation. SuperCCD EXR in fact is not as good as some of the competitor such as G11, LX3, GRD III with 1/1.7" sensor size. Detail loss seriously in high ISO from the sample. What Fuji can do is making a bigger sensor at least as same as micro 4/3 to regain the detail. Otherwise, I can't believe it can survive long enough between the competitors. However, the only thing I really long for is the EBC lens es coming back.
Not only the detail loss in the high ISO range but the battery performance is not much to speak about.

Fujinon lenses are already usable on the m4/3rds. I use several Fujinon-TV lenses.

V

Vivek

One major downside of the purported Fuji cam would be the rumored D5000 style swivel TFT screen.

I think Pansonic's G1 is unmatched in terms of versatility and usefulness.

Geez, I am really shocked that the first camera that hit the market in a new format set incredible standards for everything!:shocked:

pellicle

One major downside of the purported Fuji cam would be the rumored D5000 style swivel TFT screen.
Geez, I am really shocked that the first camera that hit the market in a new format set incredible standards for everything!:shocked:
especially when you consider that the previous Coolpix 5000 (back in 2002) had a screen which is almost exactly what the Panasonic has now

old review here.
when flipped inside and folded in, it made a rugged tough shelled mag-alloy bodied camera!

I didn't mind shelling out 700 bucks for mine back in 2002 and would happily pay more for a G1 in a nice rugged shell ... but heck the paint is wearing off the buttons on my G1 already (and its seen nowhere near the abuse my 5000 has seen)

V

Vivek

From the rumor site:

It will have sensor shift stabilization, a substantial hand grip, tilt & swivel (similar in design to D5000..
D5000, IMV, is Nikon's D5000 DSLR (two recalls already! :shocked:). The swivel TFT implementation isn't like the one in the Cooplix.

BTW, I just recalled that Fuji had a liveview (with a CCD) in their S3 UVIR cam. The current liveview features from the m4/3rds are in a totally different league compared to that.

So, it will be interesting to see if Fuji can manage a decent liveview with a decent (most likely to be much lower than the G1) battery performance.

Sony, OTOH, with their EXMOR-R sensor (quite expensive compared to the NMOS) are sitting pretty in terms of performance.

What is clear though is the future prospects of mirror-less cams are very bright with plenty of choices for the photographer.:)

Last edited:

Diane B

especially when you consider that the previous Coolpix 5000 (back in 2002) had a screen which is almost exactly what the Panasonic has now
I had the original Canon G1 in 2000 I think. I know its LCD was a flip out. I can't remember if it was tiltable but I vaguely remember that it was. Ah--just checked its review at dpreview and it did indeed tilt.

Diane

pellicle

I had the original Canon G1 in 2000 I think. I know its LCD was a flip out. I can't remember if it was tiltable but I vaguely remember that it was. Ah--just checked its review at dpreview and it did indeed tilt.

Diane
I know ... its like the left hand giveth and the right hand taketh away .. the latest incarnation of a coolpix 5000 (wearing a P designation I thin) hasn't even got a tilt screen and has gone down in sensor size while going up on megapixels ... silly:thumbdown: