The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 -- no speed faster than 1/160...

Robert Campbell

Strange experience today with the G1. Shooting in very bright sunlight, and I found that I couldn't get any speed faster than 1/160...no matter what I tried. It took me a while to discover what was going on...and a bit of rtfm.

I was using a Jobo GPS gizmo -- it sits in the hot shoe, and records location every time an exposure is taken. Normally, with the flash closed the icon on the quick menu shows 'flash off' -- but when the Jobo sits in the hot shoe, this icon changes to whatever flash setting you have previously chosen. Some of the flash setting don't go faster than 1/160. [Manual, page 61]

Despite what it sort of says in the manual, there is no 'flash off' setting in the flash menu -- 'flash off' icon only comes when the flash is closed.

I'm not sure if changing a flash setting will work properly -- it didn't seem to be doing this today, but I didn't have the manual with me. We'll see tomorrow.

[I've not seen this reported previously, and I also put it up on the dark side.]

pentacon6

The product information gives me some hints
"incl. USB cable, CD-ROM with photoGPS matching software, organiser and viewing software"

The matching software seems the main point of the product. I used to try Sony's GPS unit and in fact, the geo tag does not record in the EXIF when I shot. I have to match it afterward by synchronizing the time and date log from GPS unit with the jpg file.

Seems that G1 has not noticed the hot shoe is triggered by such kind of third party product. If you still want to use it, you may go to this link for reference:

ttp://cgi.ebay.com.hk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220414738521

The Nikon GP1 GPS Unit comes with a hot shoe clips on for the strip. You may get some idea of handling you Jobo GPS. May be you can just simply hang the GPS unit on your hang or shoulder strip.

Robert Campbell

I looked a bit more closely today; when the Jobo is attached, the only flash modes available are 'forced flash' and 'slow synchro' -- no matter what modes you have chosen beforehand. The Jobo will work up to 1/160 in 'forced flash', and for very slow speeds only in 'slow synchro'. I'll email Jobo and Pana about this.

Robert Campbell

Seems that G1 has not noticed the hot shoe is triggered by such kind of third party product. If you still want to use it, you may go to this link for reference:

ttp://cgi.ebay.com.hk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220414738521
AFAIK, the Nikon gps unit only works with Nikon cameras.