The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF-1 viewfinder

iainmurray

Wonderful, I have been waiting for a report on this thing. Can you give a more detailed description? Is it possible to manual-focus with the viewfinder, or is the resolution inadequate?

I have never used a G1, so I suspect I won't have the opportunity to be disappointed.
I just received my GF1 today with the EVF and I must say I'm impressed. The viewfinder is, in my opinion, not disappointing as some of the reviewers have suggested. In fact, it's really rather good, though not as crisp as the G1's. And yes, it is possible to manual focus with it.

Terry

I just received my GF1 today with the EVF and I must say I'm impressed. The viewfinder is, in my opinion, not disappointing as some of the reviewers have suggested. In fact, it's really rather good, though not as crisp as the G1's. And yes, it is possible to manual focus with it.
Great news !:p

Diane B

Great news !:p
Really great news for me. Now that it is showing up in the UK, hopefully it will not be long for the US. I can use the LCD most of the time and even use my 35mm finder, but that doesn't work for MF and I do want to carry one fast longer MF lens with me besides the 20. Can't wait.

Diane

barjohn

Mine should be here tomorrow or Friday. I received the leather 1/2 case yesterday and the strap and they are nice.

iainmurray

Really great news for me. Now that it is showing up in the UK, hopefully it will not be long for the US. I can use the LCD most of the time and even use my 35mm finder, but that doesn't work for MF and I do want to carry one fast longer MF lens with me besides the 20. Can't wait.

Diane
I forgot to mention that, as a bonus, the EVF comes in a beautifully crafted and designed leather case that's up to Leica standards.

ecsh

I forgot to mention that, as a bonus, the EVF comes in a beautifully crafted and designed leather case that's up to Leica standards.
LOL, thats right, i forgot to mention that. I will add that i took the hotshoe cover which comes with the GF1, and put it into that case for safe keeping.

Diane B

LOL, thats right, i forgot to mention that. I will add that i took the hotshoe cover which comes with the GF1, and put it into that case for safe keeping.
Ya' know that you're just adding salt to the wound--so to speak :ROTFL: I really really do want the EVF before the end of October, but wishing it so won't make it happen;) and I would like to leave my order with Robert and not order from Japan--at a premium price at that.

I've seen so much 'stuff' about Panasonic, marketing, delivery, etc. that I don't want to be one more that moans and complains, but...LOL--that being said, one does wonder what is in Panasonic's [corporate] head to not ship EVFs at the same time as the GF1? The big deal with the GF1 was that it had an accessory EVF as opposed to the Pen (and, of course, it shipped with that great 20 f1.7). It would seem that they would have had these babies in their hands--whether they produced them in house or bought (rethinking that--I know that they DO have them in hand in Japan). I like my GF1 but usage will drop as I need the EVF more and more and I pick up the G1. Of course, from their standpoint--I've already bought the camera so..... *sigh*

Last edited:

Diane B

Ianinmurray, are you one of those Brits that got the GF1 and EVF?? :D --or did you order it from Ebay also??

iainmurray

Ianinmurray, are you one of those Brits that got the GF1 and EVF?? :D --or did you order it from Ebay also??
Diane - It pains me to tell you that I bought the EVF on eBay. In fact, I had it for almost a week before the camera arrived, which, I think you'll agree, is even more frustrating than being in your anxious state. Anyhow, I hope your EVF arrives soon. I know you won't be disappointed.

ecsh

Diane
I did not quickly come to the decision to order the EVF from Ebay for the profit those guys charge, but, after living through the G1 fiasco, seeing the GH1 fiasco, i knew that if i wanted one before the camera was obsolete, i had to go there. Those damn camera sharks overseas know what they are doing to us poor folk over here waiting.<G>

By the way, i do not know if anyone has tried the Panny SD card yet, but i got a 8 Gig class 10 from B&H, and i do not think i can snap enough pics fast enough to slow it down. Never seen that before.

Terry

By the way, i do not know if anyone has tried the Panny SD card yet, but i got a 8 Gig class 10 from B&H, and i do not think i can snap enough pics fast enough to slow it down. Never seen that before.
Would you be kind enough to put the camera in burst mode Raw only (no jpeg) and count how many images it can fire off in the burst before it slows down to where it has to clear out space on the buffer. On a Trascend class 6 I get about 6 and I have a Sandisk Extreme III that gets 7. Would love to see what the new fast cards can do.

Thanks,
Terry

ecsh

Interesting. In JPEG, you cannot fill it fast enough. Just RAW, 7 shots and it stops. Would have thought it would be more than that.

Diane B

Diane - It pains me to tell you that I bought the EVF on eBay. In fact, I had it for almost a week before the camera arrived, which, I think you'll agree, is even more frustrating than being in your anxious state. Anyhow, I hope your EVF arrives soon. I know you won't be disappointed.
Yes, that would be worse :cry: :cry:

I just read on another forum that that particular person (who had just gotten it today from Ebay/Japan) didn't feel one could MF with the EVF. I've read conflicting reports from others with it, but I suspect it's more about getting used to it. I'm planning to MF plus compose and use AF. I don't expect wonders, just usable.

barjohn

Mine should be here tomorrow or Friday as it has now cleared customs in SF today and is in transit south to Southern CA where I live.

R

Ranger 9

Now that somebody's got the EVF, how about an effort to identify the connector it uses?

Going solely by the pictures I've seen, I'm wondering if it isn't a Mini-VGA connector of the type used on some Apple and Sony laptop computers...?

If it is, it opens up the possibility of using the EVF separately from the camera via an extension cable, which might be cool for some applications. For example, you could clip the EVF to your glasses and roam the urban landscape like some kind of street-shooting cyborg...

barjohn

I looked closely at the connector under magnification and it does not appear to be the mini-VGA connector. All of its contacts are in a row on the top portion of the connector. I didn't count the pins but there appear to be quite a few and very small.

Terry

Don't forget the LVF is drawing power from the camera through that connection. So, I would doubt it would be the same as a video hookup.

R

Ranger 9

Barjohn, thanks for checking. Guess that's one possibility off the list.

TEB, I didn't think it would be same pinouts as mini-VGA, I just wondered if they're using some sort of industry-standard connector. Of course, Panasonic certainly has enough clout to define a proprietary connector if they want.

But it would be handy to know if this were a commercially-available connector, in which case those with strong solder-fu could order a male/female set from an electronics supplier, splice them onto a cable, and make a handy extender. If nothing else, this could be a solution to the already-noted problem of how to use a shoe-mount flash and the EVF at the same time...