The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wrist Straps?

JMaher

I have seen a few wrist strap discussion leak into some of the other forum discussions and am thinking of purchasing one. There seem to fans of both Gordy’s straps as well as Luigi’s. For those who have seen, or own, more than one is the Luigi strap worth the higher price? A Gordy strap is about $18 and a Luigi with shipping is $54.

If we forget the difference in price which would you rather have?

Jim

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I bought the Gordy because, at the time, I wasn't sure if I would like a strap. I do like it and it's well made, works fine. The Luigi is no doubt a much finer quality.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have Gordy's on my GF1 and Luigi's on my G1. I prefer the Luigi. It is soft right away and the Gordy strap needs to soften up over time. The Luigi strap is easier to bend around your hand when you are actually shooting. YMMV
View attachment 22910

JMaher

Cindy,

Which of the two Luigi straps are you using? It look like he has one with a ring and one where the leather goes thru the lug with no metal attachment.

Jim

monza

I have used Gordy's and Luigi, and the A&A silk neck strap which is easily made into a wrist strap. The Gordy's is well-made and inexpensive but unless your skin is tougher than a cowboy from West Texas, I wouldn't recommend it. The Luigi is very high quality soft Italian leather.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy,

Which of the two Luigi straps are you using? It look like he has one with a ring and one where the leather goes thru the lug with no metal attachment.

Jim
I already had the one with the ring. It works well on the G1. I will probably order another for the GF1. I just looked at Luigi's site. I'm not sure I like the one that is shown on the D-Lux4.

Last edited:

back alley

dont forget the wrist strap from mr. zhou (ebay).
a little longer than luigi's and almost as soft.

20 bucks and free shipping.

kwalsh

Actually since I never carry a camera by its wrist strap and only depend on it to catch the camera if I drop it I use one of the thousands of Wii or PSP wrist straps available on E-bay for a $1.50 or less. I actually really don't like the big bulky leather ones or any of the ones with metal rings or clips that scratch the camera. I've got these entirely nylon and plastic ones for my LX3, FZ28 and G1.

Ken

barjohn

For me a wrist strap is OK to act as a safety should I drop the camera but not to carry it as it leaves too much motion for the camera including twisting and thus too easy to bang into something. The leather strap that I purchased for the E-P1 allows the camera to be carried over the shoulder or even bandolier style keeping the camera close to the body and the hands free and I can grab it and bring it up to shooting position quickly. At other times I take a few wraps and carry it dangling from the strap attached to two points so it doesn't twist.

Diane B

I've been shooting around the farm as I would if I take it for a day shooting (and don't put it in a bag). I've found, for me, that carrying it (the Pen would be the same) that the grip isn't enough to be comfortable hand carrying. It seems to 'slip'--not slippery, but just that one has to grip harder and harder as the time goes. Just part of carrying that form (the G1 is a delight to hand carry all day). Consequently, I've decided, after all, that this may be my first 'shoulder strap' camera. I only put one on my Canons--particularly 5D--when carrying all day--over my chest/back with hand in/on grip with wrist strap. I also used it when near water, heights--dangerous IOW LOL.

But--now I think I'm going to look for a nice shoulder strap that will look good with the camera, be long enough for over chest/back, and comfortable (meaning I won't have to have my hand on the camera all the time). I use the big Optechs with detachable hooks at body for the 5D--not what I would want to use with the GF1. I have a wrist strap on the G1 and that suits it fine. One would think a wrist strap would be exactly right for the GF1--by size, use---but one has to use a camera a bit to decide what works for them.

I do have a Y strap but have really not used it much--I bought it in anticipation of using 2 cameras/2 lenses. I wonder.....I have the 'hook' for Leicagoodies too that makes it more usable with an LCD (I checked). Barring that--any suggestions for a good looking but NOT pretentious looking LOL--shoulder strap?

Then again--I have the Terraclime bag--not sure if I'll bag it with at least one more lens (if so--maybe should carry the G1)--hmmm. Only using the 2 over time will tell me how it will go, but for now (since I do have a wrist strap for it if I choose), I think a shoulder strap (and I don't want to use the Lumix one) would be a good choice.

One more thing--I'm pretty sure the EVF will stay on all the time whether I use it or not for all shooting. Right now I'm about to leave my CV finder on all the time--I can choose to use it--or not--with the 20.

Diane

L

loa

I made myself a Y-type strap with a LeHook, and use it for lenses that weigh more. It is expandable to facilitate LCD shooting.

I also have a Luigi wrist strap which makes me grin every time I use it:
(pardon fuzzy iphone pic)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I keep the Y strap with a Leica goodies hook in my camera bag. I can just hook the G1 or GF1 onto it by the ring that holds the hand-strap. It saves the bulk of having a neck strap on these small cams all the time. I have my Y strap adjusted so that the camera hangs by my waist. That keeps it from bumping into any camera that I might have around my neck or on my other shoulder.

JMaher

Thanks to everyone for their comments. A strap seems like a trivial thing but having the right tool to help hold or carry a camera can make a big difference in how much I actually carry one versus thinking how nice it would be iif I had the camera with me.
I am leaning toward buying the Luigi and debating between the smaller strap with the string connection and the slightly larger one with the ring connection.

Jim

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Thanks to everyone for their comments. A strap seems like a trivial thing but having the right tool to help hold or carry a camera can make a big difference in how much I actually carry one versus thinking how nice it would be iif I had the camera with me.
I am leaning toward buying the Luigi and debating between the smaller strap with the string connection and the slightly larger one with the ring connection.

Jim
The one for the ring can also have the protector for the ring. I find that a great way to carry the camera. That part with the ring slips between my 1st 2 fingers and makes holding the camera a pleasure. I use that type for my neck strap also and it works the same way....
shooter

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Re: Wrist Straps? - Y Strap?

Cindy,

What do you think of the Y strap?

Jim

I really like the Y strap on these two cameras. I use the hand straps on most occasions, but if I want my hands free or am using one of my cameras with a neck strap, then out comes the Y strap. It is light and doesn't take up much room in my bag (or purse). The Leica goodies hook is a must for me. It makes taking the camera on and off of the Y strap a breeze.
With the Y strap, you can pull the camera up to your eye (or out in front of you for lcd focusing). It adds security when you are traversing rough terrain or in a crowd (then I would keep a hold on the camera, too.)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Jim
Jim, If you decide on the Luigi, there will be a problem with the protective leather tab if you are trying to put it on the GF1 (G1, no problem). The hole in the tab will not fit over the GF1 lug. Luigi might be able to make a sideway slit to fit over that lug. The lug itself sits pretty close to the body and doesn't give much room for it to clear the leather. I'd email Luigi and see if he has a solution.
My Gordy doesn't have the protective tab, so I put gaffers tape on it. You could just cut the leather tab off and go the tape route.

L

loa

BTW I should note that my wrist strap is a custom width- 12mm. Luigi will do that for no extra cost, it just takes longer.

Note 2: When y-strapping, I hang it from the tripod mount using an old tripod screw and a piece of webbing strap with 2 holes melted through. If you don't want to do that, this is another wonderful tripod mount option: http://www.blackrapid.com/product/hardware/fastenr/
sorry to go slightly OT.

wjlapier

I use Luigi straps on all cameras--D700, MP, M3. I just purchased two more Luigi straps with the leather strip that threads back though the strap for my GF-1 that is on order. I'm sold.