The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 Images/Pics/Photos Thread

Diane B

You folks are killing me with the Brussel Sprouts. I can't get get near them never mind eat them. About the only thing normal i won't eat. Maybe my mother stuffed them down my throat once to often. Yuk
I feel the same about lima beans--or any 'squishy' bean like 'butter beans' LOL. I can't even sit at a table with them on it. My brother and I used to hide peas and limas under anything on the plate--and pretend to eat 'just a couple' as my mother would say.

Diane B

Re: Enticing Sprouts

Now, now. What are we photographers supposed to be good at? Colour interpretation. Bet if you dyed the sprouts in a different colour to "boring" (in child's view) green you'd be well on the way:p
HOoo-----here in the states a couple of years ago they managed to make 'green' catsup for the kids---for fun, so maybe its the novelty that would get them.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Too funny Diane . I bet we all have those same childhood dinner table stories about getting rid of stuff you don't want to eat. LOL

Even the dog would not go for the Brussel sprouts

simonclivehughes

I feel the same about lima beans--or any 'squishy' bean like 'butter beans' LOL. I can't even sit at a table with them on it. My brother and I used to hide peas and limas under anything on the plate--and pretend to eat 'just a couple' as my mother would say.
ABSOLUTELY! Man, I hated those suckers... like trying to eat green chalk! :eek:

Ciao,

V

Vivek

Now, now. What are we photographers supposed to be good at? Colour interpretation. Bet if you dyed the sprouts in a different colour to "boring" (in child's view) green you'd be well on the way:p
Seriously, that is a darn nice snap. No black and white and no people in sight. Nice street shot! :)

[If I start yakking about cooking, it will never stop..simply because I am better at it. :) Apart from the color, the smell, the taste and the after taste of a dish would determine whether one would continue to like it or not. There are simple things that can be done while cooking (this is extraordinarily complex chemistry, btw) to get the unappealing "Brussel sprout" note to something that is palatable. Same goes for texture. Overcook it and it is like a wet paper napkin.

Those struggling with beans- hint- a dash of Cumin seeds gently crushed counters that "beany" flavor. How well it is applied would keep everything in balance.

If any of you folks try Spinach the way I can make (in many different ways) would look at it more fondly, the next time you hear that name!:ROTFL::ROTFL:]

Diane B

Seriously, that is a darn nice snap. No black and white and no people in sight. Nice street shot! :)

[If I start yakking about cooking, it will never stop..simply because I am better at it. :) Apart from the color, the smell, the taste and the after taste of a dish would determine whether one would continue to like it or not. There are simple things that can be done while cooking (this is extraordinarily complex chemistry, btw) to get the unappealing "Brussel sprout" note to something that is palatable. Same goes for texture. Overcook it and it is like a wet paper napkin.

Those struggling with beans- hint- a dash of Cumin seeds gently crushed counters that "beany" flavor. How well it is applied would keep everything in balance.

If any of you folks try Spinach the way I can make (in many different ways) would look at it more fondly, the next time you hear that name!:ROTFL::ROTFL:]
Beans--I actually think its the texture that gets me--and the smell LOL--not sure--probably some 'kid' memories somewhere in there. I like black beans, grow the French version of green beans (Haricort Vert) and pick very very small--so beans are okay--just not those firm on the outside, squishy in the middle beans :eek: :eek:

I love spinach--we eat it quite a lot but you can tell how you prepare.

(Hasn't this turned into the strangest sort of thread :ROTFL:)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

. . . If any of you folks try Spinach the way I can make (in many different ways) would look at it more fondly, the next time you hear that name!:ROTFL::ROTFL:]
I have just returned from Rome, where I had the best spinach in my life, and my wife agreed with me - we eat spinach a lot. This was so delicate and soft it virtually melted in your mouth. I think you have to start off with good spinach - which Europe has.

Keith

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay someone needs to start a thread in the Sunset Bar on this food subject , that could be a whole lot of fun. Than if possible with pictures show your work of art. I like nothing better than being a Italian boy that loves to eat.

m_driscoll

Re: "Fruit and Veggies"

This is the best colour shot I've seen yet from the GF1 - any tips/settings on how you got this quality?

Well Done, and thanks for sharing.

Brian
Brian, thanks (on behalf of the camera). I went to the file in Lightroom 2 to see what I did. That's the Panasonic RW2 RAW file with a few minor tweaks in Lightroom 2 only.
I did the following:
1. took the picture in aperture priority
2. imported into Lightroom 2
2. white balance: as Shot
3. exposure: 0.00
4. recovery: +5
5. blacks +12
6. clarity: +17
7. vibrance: +7
8. sharpening: 38
9. post-crop: -7
10. all other Lightroom 2 settings standard upon import
11. exported as jpeg and uploaded to zenfolio

As you can see, very little was done to the photo. The camera and lens are very competent! Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/

m_driscoll

Try them like this:

1. Prepare sprouts (make a cross-cut in the stem and peel any rough looking leaves).

2. Boil for 15 minutes

3. Saute in butter in a hot pan until they begin to turn brown and then coat them with Italian Bread Crumbs, continue to saute for a few minutes.

4. Serve and then grate fresh nutmeg over them and then fresh parmigiana cheese on top.

Happy eating and snapping!
Boy, that does sound good. I might even get my wife to eat them prepared this way. Thanks.

djonesii

Workshop Member
I like both the picture of the sprouts and the sprouts them selfs .....

The camera seems to be doing a super job. Can anyone on the thread give some comparisions how the GF-1 shoots relative to a film Leica?

I have shot the G1, and it's just not the same, not really better or worse, but diffirent.

Dave

Brian Mosley

Re: "Fruit and Veggies"

Brian, thanks (on behalf of the camera). I went to the file in Lightroom 2 to see what I did. That's the Panasonic RW2 RAW file with a few minor tweaks in Lightroom 2 only.
I did the following:
1. took the picture in aperture priority
2. imported into Lightroom 2
2. white balance: as Shot
3. exposure: 0.00
4. recovery: +5
5. blacks +12
6. clarity: +17
7. vibrance: +7
8. sharpening: 38
9. post-crop: -7
10. all other Lightroom 2 settings standard upon import
11. exported as jpeg and uploaded to zenfolio

As you can see, very little was done to the photo. The camera and lens are very competent! Cheers.

Thanks Matt, I don't have the GF1 - and don't use Lightroom but hopefully your tips will help someone who does.

Cheers

Brian

m3photo

Re: GF1 vs M film Leica

Can anyone on the thread give some comparisions how the GF-1 shoots relative to a film Leica?

I have shot the G1, and it's just not the same, not really better or worse, but different.
I'd be keen to know too. Haven't got the GF-1 (yet) and I can understand how the G1 files are "different" (sic) as opposed to film, although in my case the film is shot through Nikon lenses on an F3 so it's not quite what's wanted here.

I do still find that film has more dynamic range. Please take this as an entirely personal opinion and in no way an invitation to start or rather continue the much thrashed topic of film vs digital.

m_driscoll

Brian: You're welcome. I didn't remember what I'd done and was surprised that it hadn't gone back and forth between Lightroom, Photoshop, LightZone, and assorted Nik software products that I use (or abuse).

djonesll: My M7 was recently sold. I have to admit that I never shot a roll of color film with it.

Cheers,

simonclivehughes

Terry, Cindy and Matt,

Thanks for the kind comments. Actually, I'm surprised at the DOF on this one. I wasn't expecting to see it this shallow. It certainly reaffirms my decision to finally ditch my larger gear and go with the M4/3s exclusively. I'm very, very pleased.

Cheers,