The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 Images/Pics/Photos Thread

Diane B

Terry, Cindy and Matt,

Thanks for the kind comments. Actually, I'm surprised at the DOF on this one. I wasn't expecting to see it this shallow. It certainly reaffirms my decision to finally ditch my larger gear and go with the M4/3s exclusively. I'm very, very pleased.

Cheers,
]

Lovely--the flower photo. For all the who-ha about m4/3rds, when one can turn out photos like that, it does start to make one think twice about sticking with larger gear.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Some very nice photos in this thread.

Although... a part of me wants to say "That's it? That's all you got?" I am seriously on the sidelines when it comes to 4/3 cameras and wandered over here to see what all the fuss is about. I now have a better understanding of various vegetable aversions, but I find myself wanting to see more photos taken with this new breed of camera.

I grew up loving every vegetable, maybe an odd kid in that respect, and it wasn't uncommon for me to ask for more. I'll repeat that request here, replacing images for sprouts while asking, "can I have some more please?"

simonclivehughes

]Lovely--the flower photo. For all the who-ha about m4/3rds, when one can turn out photos like that, it does start to make one think twice about sticking with larger gear.
Diane,

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

Nice example of bokeh too Simon, I'd love this lens scaled up to 60mm f1.2 :D
Brian,

Wouldn't that be nice! At this point, I think my travel kit will be the GF1 with the 20mm and my CV 50mm f1.5 and CV 90mm f3.5 lenses. Small, great optics, great camera. In fact, I'm seriously considering having two GF1s and keeping my GH1 for more demanding video work.

Cheers,

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Wonderful collection Simon. I especially like the shot of the small island just offshore with the tree emerging from the mist. Thanks!

simonclivehughes

Thanks! Scenes like that remind me of a line in Yes' song Roundabout: "Mountains come out of the sky and they stand there". It's landscapes like that that keeps me on the West coast.

Cheers,

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks for that link Brian. Some nice work there as well.

Based exclusively on the images posted on your site and Simon's, my preliminary impression is that the G1-GH-1 has a slight edge over the EP-1. (It's a bit difficult to say for sure since Simon has applied some post processing to many of his shots.) But would you say that's a fair assessment?

Brian Mosley

Thanks for that link Brian. Some nice work there as well.

Based exclusively on the images posted on your site and Simon's, my preliminary impression is that the G1-GH-1 has a slight edge over the EP-1. (It's a bit difficult to say for sure since Simon has applied some post processing to many of his shots.) But would you say that's a fair assessment?
That's an unfair question really. It would be better to compare my E-P1 gallery to my G1 gallery - takes the differences in skill/scenery/post processing out of the equation. :D

Here's my G1 example gallery.

Cheers

Brian

slosync

Backyard grapefruit tree, bird feeder, limes, bokey(sp), and a GF1 flycatcher. I was out on the "back fourty" (feet) taking a few pictures using the 20mm. Since there are some folks on the forum interested in various aspects of the GF1 and 20mm lens, I thought it might be worthwhile posting these pictures.

GF1 Flycatcher: I'll start with this picture as the 20mm suprised me with it's closeup and sharpness capability. A fly happened to land on a leaf close to me and struck a pose. :rolleyes: Ok, nothing special, but look at the next picture below this one of a 100% crop.

F/4

100% crop from above picture: I was pretty suprised at the crispness and clarity. :bugeyes:

These next photos had some interesting bokey. In this picture there was approximately 3 feet between the two limes and the background.

f/1.7

This lime picture was into the sun and created some bokey glare as well as generally nice bokey effects. Distance between the lime and background in this case is anywhere between 15-25 feet I suspect.

f/1.7

This photo is of a bird feeder hanging on my grapefruit tree along with the obvious crop of grapefruit. I set my GF1 contrast to -2 so I probably could have sharpened this up to pop the wood on the feeder and the tree a bit more. A little more stopped down (higher) aperture might have made a better picture as the dof is pretty shallow in this instance.

f/1.7

Cheers,
Don

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I admit that I'm taking a pretty cavalier approach to the comparison. I've been curious about the 4/3 cameras but haven't invested the time to read the many threads here and elsewhere that parse the details.

My comment before was simply based on a very cursory impression gained after viewing both galleries and letting my gut react to what the camera was doing. It isn't meant as a critique on anyone's skill certainly, or for that matter, even the subject/content. Instead, it was a seat-of-the-pants flyby to see if anything registered as being a juicy bit that might be considered unique to the format/sensor/camera.

My simple impression is that the G cameras are more able to capture subtle nuances in the light. I have no idea how to explain that from a technical standpoint and it is clearly my personal impression. Everything else aside (form factor, lens quality, sensor, "hand-feel", etc.), my spider senses were more tingly with the G cameras.

Maybe that's just me and of course, tastes vary enthusiastically. Which is just as it should be.

m_driscoll

Lots of inedible flowers (not veggies!)

Tried out this lens, just for the heck of it. GF1; tripod; Program mode; Novoflex MFT/NIK adapter; Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX DG Macro lens. Sorry, lost track of the aperture (f/32, f/8, or f/3.5?). Thanks for looking. Cheers.

1. 1/500s; ISO 100

2. 1/1000s; ISO 100

3.. 1/1250s; ISO 100

4. 1/400s; ISO 100

5. 1/400s; ISO 100

6. 1/400s; ISO 100

7. 1/500s; ISO 100

8. 1/500s; ISO 100

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/

m_driscoll

Cindy, thanks. #5's probably my favorite too. This lens had been on consignment at a camera store for 3-4 months with no takers. I figured if i can't sell it, I might as well use it. It's pretty neat on a MFT camera. Paper thin DOF. Here's two more that I forgot. Cheers.

1. 1/320s; ISO 100

2. 1/800s; ISO 100

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/

Terry

Ahhh such great color on a completely drab day. I think #5 from set 1 and the second one above are my favorites.

I did no shooting this weekend. Glad someone did!