The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 Images/Pics/Photos Thread

jonoslack

HI Diane
I wrote a long message with respect to your pictures . . . and then went home without pressing the post button.
Now I've got stuff to do. Enough to say that they are lovely, I especially liked the mill, and the daisies (although, like other shots with the 20 f1.7, I do think the bokeh is a little gritty?)

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Nice example of bokeh too Simon, I'd love this lens scaled up to 60mm f1.2 :D
Great thought! Although I'd be willing to settle for a 60/1.5 if I could also have a 40/1.4. Auto-focus versions of those Pen F lenses -- with similar image quality to that of the Panasonic 20/1.7 -- would make all my (m4/3rds) dreams come true. (And 20-40-60 is such a nice progression.)

A couple more from today:

Jono, I can't even begin to tell you how much I like this picture. One of my all time GetDPI favorites.

I thought of posting the colour variant as well - perhaps it would be interesting, but perhaps it would just kill the black and white (my wife always dislikes the black and white landscapes).
Interesting. Difficult to say without seeing the color version but I can't help feeling that the picture wouldn't work nearly as well in color. Out of interest, do you have a theory as to why your wife dislikes the black-and-white landscapes? (I'm assuming that she likes your b&w images in other genres.)

jonoslack

Great thought! Although I'd be willing to settle for a 60/1.5 if I could also have a 40/1.4. Auto-focus versions of those Pen F lenses -- with similar image quality to that of the Panasonic 20/1.7 -- would make all my (m4/3rds) dreams come true. (And 20-40-60 is such a nice progression.)
I guess so . . . . but if you want the reduced dof of a fast lens, then perhaps this isn't the right camera, and if you want the quality . . I'm shocked by how good the cheapo kit zoom is on this camera. The corners on the lane really do bear this out.

Jono, I can't even begin to tell you how much I like this picture. One of my all time GetDPI favorites.
Ooooh! Thank you! It's always tempting to put a person in that tunnel . . . but somehow it's just too easy!

Interesting. Difficult to say without seeing the color version but I can't help feeling that the picture wouldn't work nearly as well in color. Out of interest, do you have a theory as to why your wife dislikes the black-and-white landscapes? (I'm assuming that she likes your b&w images in other genres.)
For people she likes B&W, but not really for much else, of course, she has seen most of the places . . . I think she likes the pictures as reflections of the reality, rather than as responses to it. I shouldn't have said dislike though, she is incredibly supportive, and I'm ashamed to admit that she likes most of my stuff better than it deserves:eek:

m_driscoll

Diane,
Beautiful photographs. The mill is especially lovely. With regard to Jono's comment on the bokeh (last two images): how did you do the PP? By the way, I like the bokeh. It does seem to vary from image to image based on the processing. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Terry

I popped up the flash for my first shots tonight. was very happy with how well it did....untouched Dynamic B&W jpegs

Diane B

Diane,
Beautiful photographs. The mill is especially lovely. With regard to Jono's comment on the bokeh (last two images): how did you do the PP? By the way, I like the bokeh. It does seem to vary from image to image based on the processing. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
I processed RAW in Lightroom. The blur and bokeh is just what I seem to get from the GF1 and the 20 wide open and closer to subject as opposed to further from subject as my "skewered" shot

The fleabane daisy was adjusted for WB, contrast, a bit of clarity, an S tone curve. The Eastern Box Turtle was about the same--except i used my desat preset (which includes a bit of toning as well), used the brush tool to increase contrast on the shell a bit toward the back. I do some capture sharpening in LR and then when I resize in PS to add my frame action, I do output sharpening before running the action (with PKS).

Thanks for the comments. I'm looking forward to some shooting NOT on the farm or nearby next week :LOL:

Diane

Diane B

Re: Lettuce

I always welcome your style of landscapes, thank you.
As for the tortoise, this little fella would have stuck his head out much sooner had you left a nice piece of fresh lettuce just off camera to the right :D
It didn't help I turned him (her??--I've never sexed a box turtle) over to look at his bottom at least twice :eek:--and then went and got a glass of wine and sat off to the side with David enjoying the smell of fresh cut pasture grass and the early evening air. It stuck its head out and looked around several times but I'm sure I spooked it coming over with the camera in its face each time :ROTFL:--and then it got dark.

Diane B

:ROTFL:

So, tell me mine is sentimental too?

(of course, I've seen this before, but if there was any inspiration for this kind of photo it wasGraham Sutherland
I've really liked the shots of this 'lane'--or whatever you call it-- over the years when you've taken them. They always trigger a thought of 'Alice down the rabbithole' (Alice in Wonderland).

wjlapier

A couple of flashed photos. First is of my daughter--one of three Abby's on her soccer team :grin: Forgive DOF--I'm still making transition from D700 to GF1--she's on the right. Second is of her teammates.

Terry

Jono -
Well I guarantee you know his email address and paypal address.....

Finished guessing?
John Milich!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Nothing special - view from my office in Daly City (foggy afternoon & believe it or not, the Pacific is out there somewhere):

GF1, 14-45

Terry

Hi Jono,
The grapes and lemon along with the pitcher are my favorites but the onions are very close behind....

....are you enjoying it so far (as she carefully walks on eggshells)