The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF-1 covering from Aki Asahi

Diane B

Interesting that he's done a number of 'skins/textures'--but all black. Also read that though the prototype doesn't have cutout for m4/3rds logo, the one for purchase will. That confused me---the m4/3rds logo is on the back top left of the camera--maybe he means the gold L. The good thing that I see about this cover is that it covers all the logos LOL. Somehow I don't see this camera with the texture--i like it on the cameras with some metal showing though. Maybe I would like it better in person.

Terry

Brad,
I'm very confused about this half case. If you follow the link and look at the picture of the back (actually even on the front), there must be a lot of padding at the bottom of the case as there is very little room for a case to go on the camera and not cover part of the LCD. Do you have a GF1. Grab your camera and compare to the pictures.

bradhusick

Terry,
I have the case but not the GF1 yet! Yes, there's a fair amount of padding at the bottom, but that doesn't bother me. I think it will make the camera a little easier to hold. They recessed the snaps at the bottom for the attachment of the optional cover flap, so the camera sits upright even though there are snaps on the bottom. The case is well built - not Luigi built - but nice nonetheless. I'll bring it to Oregon.
-Brad

Terry

It is not on the list to be carried in the US. Can you give me the link to the ebay seller you used. I originally saw it for $69 and now the only one I see is $79.

Thanks.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Terry,
I have the case but not the GF1 yet! Yes, there's a fair amount of padding at the bottom, but that doesn't bother me. I think it will make the camera a little easier to hold. They recessed the snaps at the bottom for the attachment of the optional cover flap, so the camera sits upright even though there are snaps on the bottom. The case is well built - not Luigi built - but nice nonetheless. I'll bring it to Oregon.
-Brad
Like to see that Brad for sure

Dale Allyn

I found Brad's link in the post above this one to yield a "no longer available" page. You might try this one. Or maybe Brad has another source and link to suggest. I also found a white one for $75.

V

Vivek

Would the Aki cover dampen the shutter noise? In other words would it act as a blimp?

Or it is purely a cosmetic thing?

wjlapier

GGS Question--

I hate to start a thread about this. Has anyone put a GGS lcd protector on their EP-1 or GF-1 screen yet? And if so, how easy to get it right the first time? Or does the GF-1 really need LCD protection? I had a G9 that scratched easily, but my Fuji f31 was more forgiving.

Thanx!

Diane B

Re: GGS Question--

I hate to start a thread about this. Has anyone put a GGS lcd protector on their EP-1 or GF-1 screen yet? And if so, how easy to get it right the first time? Or does the GF-1 really need LCD protection? I had a G9 that scratched easily, but my Fuji f31 was more forgiving.

Thanx!
I've never used a screen protector before either---I did know that one could replace the cover on Canon's LCDs with a replacement from their parts store--and cheaply. I actually never had to replace one however. But--with the GF1 I haven't been able to find a replacement cover in their parts store--and don't know how the LCD holds up to repeated in and out of a pouch, bag, etc. I do plan to use one, but it was suggested to me that the Giottos glass cover (seems similar to the one you mentioned) added depth on the back and that they 'could' break with dire results. Consequently, I ordered one from here at Cindy's suggestion
http://www.screenpatronus.com/screen-protector-digital-camera.html I haven't received it yet so can't say much about it, but you might go back and look for Cindy's comments about it.

Diane

slosync

Brad,
I'm very confused about this half case. If you follow the link and look at the picture of the back (actually even on the front), there must be a lot of padding at the bottom of the case as there is very little room for a case to go on the camera and not cover part of the LCD. Do you have a GF1. Grab your camera and compare to the pictures.
Hi Terry.... Here's a few pics of t he GF1 Case

Bottom.... Those snaps take up some room. You can see they are sunken into the base so they don't protrude out of the base when sitting up.

Here's with the case cover....

Cheers,
Don

barjohn

Am I the only one that thinks the Akai Asahi cover is not very attractive? It seems to be too much and over powers the camera. Would love to see what someone could come up with that would work and look attractive.

Diane B

No, that's basically what I said--I like it on the cameras with more metal showing where there's some delineation between areas with it and not--it is too much for me.

R

ryanwhalen

Hey Don,

I'm thinking of getting that Lumix case (if I can find one anywhere. They're hard to track down outside of Japan). I'm assuming there's no chance of closing the cover with a view finder on the gf1? I'm using a 40mm viewfinder on my GF1 and enjoying it immensely. I could live with having to take it off to close the case, but if the case is flexible enough it might close with it on, no?

BTW: first post here. Great forum.

slosync

Hey Don,

I'm thinking of getting that Lumix case (if I can find one anywhere. They're hard to track down outside of Japan). I'm assuming there's no chance of closing the cover with a view finder on the gf1? I'm using a 40mm viewfinder on my GF1 and enjoying it immensely. I could live with having to take it off to close the case, but if the case is flexible enough it might close with it on, no?

BTW: first post here. Great forum.
Welcome to the Forum Ryan!! :clap: :thumbs:

I got my case at Ace_of_Bycle2004...
http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReturnUserEmail&requested=ace_of_bicycle2004&redirect=0&iid=300349156616

There wouldn't be enought room for the External VF, unless of course, you cut a slit/slot in the cover. The cover looks looser than it really is. :(

As a side note: I thought I might be able to use the Oly 25mm pancake, but it didn't fit. The 4/3 adapter just makes it too big. However the Oly Pen F.Zuiko 38mm f/1.8 does fit, but it's a tight fit.

My apology for going off topic here folks...

Cheers,
Don

Last edited:

wjlapier

Thanx for the photos of the case, Don. That really helped me make a decision. Picked one up just a little while ago. Now I need a camera to put in it ;)