The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 now on backorder at Panasonic

J

jerryk

Bummer.

I ordered mine (with 20 mm lens) last week and the ship date was originally 10/1. Now the item is on backorder and the customer support people say "I am sure we will have some more ....".

Jerry

pellicle

clearly this format is a runaway success ... seems like the camera makers are again failed by their follow the formula methods of bigger and bulkier DSLRs when people really want more compact and better image quality.

I'm just playing with an OM-10 I bought recently ... surprisingly its nearly the same size as my G1

interesting

J

jerryk

Just curious. How many other people are awaiting a GF1?

Also, is everyone waiting to get them from Panasonic or from other sources?

Jerry

Terry

They are getting cameras everyday. They thought the 14-45 camera was going to be delayed and I got an email stating 4-6 weeks on Monday. Well it shipped yesterday and will arrive today.
I'm pretty confident you will see more 20mm kits come in stock soon.

Rawfa

Darn! I'm running against the clock and it seems like the clock is going to win. I leave for a 15 day trip to Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) on October 30th and I've already sold the E-P1. Alternatively I was hoping that maybe the Canon S90 or the Pentax K-X would be available before the GF1 but it doesn't look good at all.

barjohn

I'm thinking about the Canon S90 for my wife. It looks like a great purse size camera. She thinks the E-P1 was too big! She hated when I took the M8 and lenses anywhere even though it was insured she worried that someone would steal it and we couldn't get up an dance without worrying.

J

jerryk

They are getting cameras everyday. They thought the 14-45 camera was going to be delayed and I got an email stating 4-6 weeks on Monday. Well it shipped yesterday and will arrive today.
I'm pretty confident you will see more 20mm kits come in stock soon.
When did you order? And who did you order from?

I ordered 10/1 and have received no email saying the order was delayed. In fact the original order confirmation had a shipping date of 10/2, which did not happen.

R

Ranger 9

Just curious. How many other people are awaiting a GF1?
Also, is everyone waiting to get them from Panasonic or from other sources?
Jerry
All of them come from Panasonic one way or another, don't they?

Anyway, I'm passing on the GF1 for now to save money (although I suspect I'll want one eventually) but asked my local dealer about getting a 20/1.7 lens separately.

The dealer guy emailed me yesterday that they were told these won't be in the warehouse until Oct. 30, with delivery to dealers about a week after that. I don't know if that gives any clue as to Panasonic's ship cycle on the camera bodies, but it makes it sound as if they're coming in fairly widely-separated batches...

Terry

This was direct from Panasonic not Shopatron. If your order was routed to Shopatron, you really are better off setting yourself up with a username and password at Panasonic and your order will stay with them

Do you have a reference number for your order?
You can go to UPS and then click the tracking tab and track by reference number. The reference number is the Panasonic order number.

I am on the west coast and everything comes from California for my orders. It seems like when new stock is coming from Japan, the CA warehouse gets it a day or two ahead of the warehouses further east.

J

jerryk

This was direct from Panasonic not Shopatron. If your order was routed to Shopatron, you really are better off setting yourself up with a username and password at Panasonic and your order will stay with them

Do you have a reference number for your order?
You can go to UPS and then click the tracking tab and track by reference number. The reference number is the Panasonic order number.

I am on the west coast and everything comes from California for my orders. It seems like when new stock is coming from Japan, the CA warehouse gets it a day or two ahead of the warehouses further east.
I am also on the West Coast, near San Francisco.

My order is with Panasonic, at least is says "Club Panasonic". What is Shopatron?

I did get a reference # with the order and have been checking daily. So far nothing shows up on the UPS site.

BTW, when did you place your order?

Jerry

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Darn! I'm running against the clock and it seems like the clock is going to win. I leave for a 15 day trip to Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) on October 30th and I've already sold the E-P1. Alternatively I was hoping that maybe the Canon S90 or the Pentax K-X would be available before the GF1 but it doesn't look good at all.
You could probably get a Leica M9 :deadhorse:

Keith

Terry

I am also on the West Coast, near San Francisco.

My order is with Panasonic, at least is says "Club Panasonic". What is Shopatron?

I did get a reference # with the order and have been checking daily. So far nothing shows up on the UPS site.

BTW, when did you place your order?

Jerry
Ordered 10/1. Shipped last night (part of a bigger order with overnight delivery) arriving today. You can try calling them but my guess yours is in this batch and if you are in CA it will come this week.

Audii-Dudii

Mine was pre-ordered from Amazon the day it was announced and it arrived yesterday. They charged my credit-card five days earlier but the email confirming it had shipped actually arrived about 20 minutes after the camera itself did...

My first disappointment is that the only charged battery I had handy was an aftermarket one for my G1 and thanks to Panasonic's firmware safeguards, the camera refused to turn on with it... :(

m3photo

Re: Canon S90

I'm thinking about the Canon S90 for my wife.
Hmm, please keep me posted. Methinks this might be a better compact than most. I'm toying with the idea of having one for myself but I'm holding off until I see real-life results.

Rawfa

I'm thinking about the Canon S90 for my wife. It looks like a great purse size camera. She thinks the E-P1 was too big! She hated when I took the M8 and lenses anywhere even though it was insured she worried that someone would steal it and we couldn't get up an dance without worrying.
Sure, your wife ;)

I have to say I'm VERY impressed with the samples at DPReview. They has this little camera shooting iso 3200! The best compact around for high iso (the LX3) shooting iso 800 is a hit and miss, so I think that having usable iso 1600 from the S90 is a great achievement (the G11 samples are equally good, but with that size it's hard to consider it a compact...specially now with the E-P1 and the GF1).

J

jerryk

Ordered 10/1. Shipped last night (part of a bigger order with overnight delivery) arriving today. You can try calling them but my guess yours is in this batch and if you are in CA it will come this week.
Thanks. I hope your guess is correct. I have my fingers crossed!

Jerry