The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 now on backorder at Panasonic

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm getting nervous here about getting one for the workshop. I wanted the 20mm but may have to change directions for now.

Diane B

Getting back to order status.

Today's call to Panasonic yielded the comment that they should have some kits next month (Nov) or the month after. I hope the person was just being pessimistic, but that is what she stated.

So until then I will have to enjoy the GF1 vicariously through everyone's post and samples.
Jerry, why don't you pursue other avenues to get the GF1? Other people are getting theirs so there must be some around. I saw a post elsewhere where the poster walked into a store and they were sitting on a shelf (Canada) I noticed that Amazon has the 14-45 kit in stock and it lists J & R and Crutchfields have them in stock. I can't remember what kit you had ordered. I also wonder if B & H and Adorama will show them in stock after Succos on Monday? Nothing is happening on their web sites (or stores) until then--

Other than that---I can only commiserate with you :scry:

Audii-Dudii

I'm getting nervous here about getting one for the workshop. I wanted the 20mm but may have to change directions for now.
Since you're local to me (I'm in Scottsdale) and you're apparently trustworthy and reliable, I might be persuaded to let you borrow mine for a bit ... when is the workshop?

V

Vivek

Re: The Solution

Darn, that's done it. The next Panasonic software update will have country codes on it like the DVD zone system so you'll have to get your batteries from Oz again :eek:
Shh..don't feed them any such wicked ideas.

OTOH, they could even make it owner specific. Buy a camera, register it and, of course, the battery :)ROTFL:) to get the key to unlock it.

This way, they can be certain that only one owner is responsible for any possible mishaps and nothing is tampered with. :thumbs:

J

jerryk

Shh..don't feed them any such wicked ideas.

OTOH, they could even make it owner specific. Buy a camera, register it and, of course, the battery :)ROTFL:) to get the key to unlock it.

This way, they can be certain that only one owner is responsible for any possible mishaps and nothing is tampered with. :thumbs:
If they really wanted to ensure you only used their batteries all they have to do is make not accessible to the owner. Apple does this all the time.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member

Darn, that's done it. The next Panasonic software update will have country codes on it like the DVD zone system so you'll have to get your batteries from Oz again :eek:
That would be pretty funny if it weren't for the fact that most DVD players sold in Australia now are region-free after the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission argued (against Sony) in the High Court that region coding infringed the consumer's right to buy products at the best price. The ACC won the case then lost on appeal but region-free DVD players became freely available anyway.

Perhaps we need the ACCC to start an investigation into the price of digital camera batteries in Australia. :ROTFL:

Godfrey

I don't understand what you're saying here?
Can you explain?
Apple iPods and iPhone have a built-in battery that cannot be changed by the user (at least not by any normal user). That's true, but irrelevant: my original, generation 2001 iPod (5G hard drive model with mechanical wheel) is still running on the original battery and will still play for 7 hours on a charge.

That's 30% down from what it did when it was new, but heck: for the amount of use it has given me, I'm not complaining.

J

jerryk

I don't understand what you're saying here?
Can you explain?
Ipods, iPhones, Touch, the Mac Air notebook (and supposedly the new Mac tablet) have fixed batteries. Lithium batteries have a 2-3 year lifespan from date of manufactures. In the case of these Apple devices you have to send them back to Apple get the batteries replaced.

wjlapier

Ipods, iPhones, Touch, the Mac Air notebook (and supposedly the new Mac tablet) have fixed batteries. Lithium batteries have a 2-3 year lifespan from date of manufactures. In the case of these Apple devices you have too send them back to Apple get the batteries replaced.
Way off topic, but this guy fixed my son's Nano. Seems to have lots of options to fix ipods including new batteries.

http://store.ifixipodsfast.com/

I've seen some GF1 bodies for sale recently. And I've seen at least one 20/1.7 lens, so there are options to waiting for Panasonic until November. Maybe check with Monza and see were you would be in line if you gave him a deposit.

I'm anxious for my GF1. Never been this excited about a camera since I bought my first M.

J

jerryk

Good news. It turns out the CS people where overly pessimistic. My order shipped late last night. So hopefully I should be able to join the ranks of happy GF1 owners in a few days!:)

Now where is that EVF?

Diane B

Keith, it has rained a LOT here this summer (more than we need), but we had several years of severe drought, so its hard to complain LOL--other than for shooting reasons. Its not been a lucky season for me--the days I can take to go shoot--it seems to rain or threaten with heavy overcast skies (not the dramatic stormy ones that work for me, even if it does rain). I'm just hoping that our highly anticipated 'great' Fall--esp. in the mts.--wasn't ruined by the big front that came through with high winds and heavy rain this week--and we have rain in the forecast every day through Wednesday---yuck.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Keith, it has rained a LOT here this summer (more than we need), but we had several years of severe drought, so its hard to complain LOL--other than for shooting reasons. Its not been a lucky season for me--the days I can take to go shoot--it seems to rain or threaten with heavy overcast skies (not the dramatic stormy ones that work for me, even if it does rain). I'm just hoping that our highly anticipated 'great' Fall--esp. in the mts.--wasn't ruined by the big front that came through with high winds and heavy rain this week--and we have rain in the forecast every day through Wednesday---yuck.
Maybe we should start a thread on photographing in the rain. I always remember Japan (I was there many times) and those wonderful house designs where you could walk out, but under cover, and just hear and see the rain, but not get wet.

Keith

Guy Mancuso

Send the rain here. BTW my GF-1 with 20mm comes in next week, it was shipped but will I not get it until I get to San Francisco next Sunday . Oh the wait. LOL

Also I count at least 4 of these at the workshop in Oregon . Jack, Bob, Terry and me so we will start a thread on images when we are there. Maybe we will get some keepers.:D

Terry

Plus at least one more....Brad has one as well. Almost feels like the first Moab trip when everyone had at least one M8.....
Send the rain here. BTW my GF-1 with 20mm comes in next week, it was shipped but will I not get it until I get to San Francisco next Sunday . Oh the wait. LOL

Also I count at least 4 of these at the workshop in Oregon . Jack, Bob, Terry and me so we will start a thread on images when we are there. Maybe we will get some keepers.:D

Diane B

Well, I, for one, will be watching news from that workshop. I know there will be exciting photos with other cameras--and know that there will be M9 excitement, but I'll be looking, esp., for the m4/3rds shots from everyone. Next late Spring we are going to try for maybe a 3 week trip out west again-not sure where--and wondering if I'll haul (we'll drive--and wander) the 5D gear as well. Probably some, but maybe very limited and the 2 m4/3rds bodies.

RonSmith

I have been advised by Robert that mine is "enroute." Yay.

Not sure when it will be in my hands, but this is much better than "not enroute."

And I'm told that my G1 may be back from service next week. They tightened the loose strap lug and are awaiting receipt of a replacement for the lower LCD hinge due to the peeling.

Guy Mancuso

Plus at least one more....Brad has one as well. Almost feels like the first Moab trip when everyone had at least one M8.....
Now we we have a lot of M9's as well. Also little birdie told me Mike Hatam and Jim Collum maybe coming. The whole GetDPI team